Just got a TI-86...

Discussion in 'Community' started by iindigo, Jan 7, 2005.

1. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Hey!

I got a TI-86 for christmas and need to know how to hook it up to my iMac G4. The calculator is from 1999 (date on back) and doesn't have a USB port, but rather a headphone-jack looking port on the bottom (forgive my ignorance, this is my first graphing/scientific calc). What type of cable do I need, and where can I get one?

When I heard the TI-86 supports putting software on it, I was like :eek: - I didn't even know calculators could do that sort of thing.

2. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

lol! I was going to use a snappy reply like welcome to 1999, then I read your second sentence... Kinda ironic.

Unfortunately, the TI-86 required a serial port connection... You used to be able to buy those at stores like Target or college bookstores.

Well... apparently there is a USB version now... I just looked it up... Here's a link to what you are looking for:

http://education.ti.com/us/product/accessory/connectivity/features/cables.html
    It's the "TI Connectivity Cable USB for Windows® /Mac® (silver)"

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Here's what you need. It's the TI Connectivity Cable USB for Windows® /Mac® (silver).

edit: DARN YOU HCUAR!!! Beat me to it ;) :)

4. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

;) I read your post and though... Hey, that's what I said.

5. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Thanks guys! :D Where could I buy one of these beasts? (online that is) eBay has them, but I'd like to make eBay a last resort if possible... I searched Froogle for it and it just returned a ton of no-name sellers -

Thanks again!

6. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I haven't tried TI products with Macs yet, but they seem to be pretty nice and 'playful' if you get what I mean. I have a TI-83+, silver edition, and the serial cable, and a USB->serial adaptor... :D

That port on the bottom is a proprietary TI-designed port, based on a stereo-minijack thing.

8. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Looking closer, the TI-86 does not support any USB connections :( Mechcozmo, where'd you get the serial cable and USB adapter?

9. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Supposedly, the first link I sent you should have a proprietary end and a USB end. The best buy one might not... I'd just check stores like Target, Walmart, Best Buy, Circuit City... You get my drift?

On second look... the Best Buy link works too. It says it works with a TI-83... Which has the same connector as the TI-86 and TI-89. (note the lack of "Titanium")

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I've got the TI-83, but I think they are the same cables.
    My calculator came with the serial connection to the computer, along with the link cable (link cable for calculator to calculator or calculator to serial adapter to computer)
    The USB->Serial adapter I picked up for a song from somebody...

11. Ajmbc macrumors regular

Its all about the TI-89 Titanium :rolleyes:
    Built in USB and serial ports, the only thing that bugs me is that there is no native "Apps" development API for the mac. :-(

I guess that the same cable that works with the TI-83, 84, etc. that looks like a stereo jack to a USB connecter would work with the TI-86, and after you get that you just need the software, TI Connect--- Here

-Ajmbc

12. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Hey guys! :)

Well, I got my cable and everything is working perfectly. I have a dumb question though: how do I do something as simple as graph one or two sets of coordinates? you know, {(x,y),(x,y)}. I can't figure that out at all - I've tried Google, only gave me really advanced math, and the manual wasn't really helpful...

Thanks again guys! :)

13. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

On a TI-86, you can go to STAT (2nd-+), hit F3 (PLOT), and then F1, F2 or F3 (PLOT1, PLOT2 and PLOT3, respectively). It asks for a list of X coordinates and a list of Y coordinates, which must be the same length.

[Edit: you have to identify the lists by name; you can not type them into the PLOT screen. To create named lists, go to STAT -> EDIT]