Just got accepted for Transfer to UMass - Boston!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by im_to_hyper, Mar 7, 2007.

1. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

Aug 25, 2004
    Glendale, California, USA
    So this is probably the giddiest I have been in a really long time. I am actually pretty much downright crazy giddy. In fact, dangerously giddy.

Right now I am a freshman at the University of Minnesota - Duluth. In case you guys don't know, Duluth is the farthest inland port in the U.S. (World??) with huge freighters docking along the shore of Lake Superior. Earlier in the year I decided randomly to apply to transfer somewhere out east: somewhere more liberal and open and just a bigger city than Duluth. I could go down to the Twin Cities or to Madison, but everyone I know goes there. Somewhere new is in order.

The University of Massachusetts - Boston was my answer. Today I got my acceptance letter after months of forgetting about my application. Now comes the trouble: convincing the parents that this is the best school for me and that transferring there will be a good choice. Mom knows I'm gay, Dad and stepmom don't, so they are less supportive. My mom is totally supportive since she knows that if this is what I want to do, it should happen because finances will resolve themselves eventually. Not to mention MA is one crazy-cool liberal state with Boston being a crazy-cool liberal city.

So, I am flying out during spring break next week to come tour the campus. Does anyone have a good reccomendation as to where I should stay in the short term while I am there for a low cost? I don't want to go anywhere too expensive. Heck: any nice, friendly, Boston MR members wanna open up their pull-out couch for a college guy from Minnesota? :)
  2. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    Congrats on your acceptance -- I'm glad it's something that makes you so happy. :)

Can't tell you much about where to stay in/around Boston except that Boston itself is pretty freaking expensive.

Don't overestimate or idealize how liberal we are back east, though ... we're just as nasty as anybody else. ;)
  3. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2003
    RI -> CA -> ME
    Boston is a great city. I lived there in 1989 and worked outside the city for several years. My brother-in-law lives there and we visit probably 5-6 times a year.

UMB is on "the south shore" near Dorchester (pronounced dawh-chesta).
    Some cheap places to live, also some nasty ones in that area.
    Jamaica Plain or JP is a common college student area. West Roxbury is not bad either, but avoid Roxbury.
    Just a bit further west is Brookline, very expensive.
    I would suggest living in the dorms the first year and exploring from there.

Definitely, get a subway or "T" pass, its pretty good and will get you most anywhere.

Yeah, Boston is generally liberal, but that does not mean friendly. South Boston, including Dorchester can have some pretty ignorant folks, especially if it comes to non-white, non-jock heterosexual people.

Certainly not everyone, but Boston has a pretty ugly history when it comes to racism and other forms of bigotry.

BUT, don't let that stop you. It is overall a great city, tons of Universities and Colleges, fabulous restaurants, close to the ocean and mountains, lots of museums and libraries, etc. Definetely a great place to go to college.

As for selling it to your Dad & step Mother, show them the quality of the education you will get and the broadening experience of being somewhere else. Focus on job opportunities, proximity to New York, summers on Cape Cod (you will have fun in Provincetown), etc.

Good Luck!
  4. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    Don't listen to thedude. Boston is cheap. J/k. Just cheap compared to this area of CA. No sales tax on clothing and stuffs! And even the food taxes are cheaper than CA. :eek:

Most importantly, Boston is cold. But heck, you're probably used to that, right? :p

And congrats on your acceptance!
  5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    oh, we're liberal. mean, but liberal. ;)

I've lived in Boston most of my life, and will be going back there after law school.

jayb2000's description is pretty good. There are mean, ignorant people anywhere, though, and in my experience, fewer in Boston than most places.

I would not live in Dorchester or Roxbury. Brookline is my hometown, and it's really great. Not everywhere is super expensive. You might consider Brighton, which borders both Brookline and Boston. More working class than Brookline, but nice. JP was a good suggestion too. I had a friend who went to UMass Boston, and he really loved it. Best of luck to you!
  6. decksnap macrumors 68040

Apr 11, 2003
    If you're looking for a liberal school in a liberal city, go to Emerson.

I used to live right by UMass Boston. It's more of a commuter school, isn't it? I don't know if there's too much in the way of a campus. But, it's only three stops to downtown.
  7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    welcome to "baws-ton its wicked fun up here" Just in time to go the new store opening in a few months. If anyone asks your a Soxs fan, just say that and you'll live ;)
  8. im_to_hyper thread starter macrumors 65816

Aug 25, 2004
    Glendale, California, USA
    Well, thank you all for your advice about the city! You guys all really made it seem awesome and since every city has its bad sides, those won't discourage me. Now it just comes down to whether or not I want to spend the money to go there!

I'm already used to the cold... and the snow... and Minneota already has no tax on clothes or food, so I am used to that, too! :) So Boston shouldn't be a problem. And for my rents: the proximity to New York would probably only discourage, rather than encourage, them to support my decision.