Just got an ibook now what?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Pistol Pete, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

ibook G4 800mhz

until i upgrade to tiger i will be running 10.3.9, i am going to install iLife 05, ms mac office, iwork and probably others i cannot think of now.

what software would you recomend?

will 512mb handle most apps fine?

anything recomended or advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Peter

2. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    Wow jeez is there alot to tell you. First off I would search all over MacRumors and read up on what programs everyone else prefers, other products to go with the ibook(cooling stand, carrying bag, mice, anything and everything).

Well after getting iLife 05 installed depending on what you have in the form of data start importing it.
    1. Bring your photos over import into iPhoto and organize them
    2. Import music - organize it
    3. iCal - import any calendars or starting making up your own
    4. Go into system prefs and set up your backgrounds screensaver sleep times
    5. import/organize Address Book
    6. play around with stuff
    Now that I think about it I could probably think of over 50+ things hell 100+ things you could do. So maybe it would be best searching Macrumors for suggestions on software essentials(there is lots of threads out there on this)
    And finally about the ram. I have 512 on my Pb and for instance right now i have Acquistion(hand p2p program), safari, and itunes playing some music and right now i am not experiencing much lag, barely any. However if you are running really intense programs and simultaneously importing photos or something then your gonna run into some lag. I am by no means however really throwing alot at the ram, i'm not sure what your intentions are but if your running iMovie, iPhoto, iTunes, Safari and or some combination you will definitely notice lag.

I'd suggest getting acquainted with OSX(if your not) and just do what you normally do, if you notice lag under normal usage you may desire to upgrade which is easy to do. Good luck! Enjoy!!

3. ghostee macrumors 6502

I have the same iBook as you, congratulations, it really is a nice machine. What are you planning on doing on your new iBook?

Some basics:

For IM'ing, check out Adium X.

For (legal) torrents, check out Azureus.

For media playing (except for DVD's or music, since DVD Player and iTunes are the best for those jobs), check out VLC.

For irc, check out x-Chat Aqua.

4. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Games maybe?

I'm partial to Unreal Tournamen 2004--tons of free add-ons for that.

You can legally download lots of games and demos here:
    http://MacGameFiles.com

(And other apps here: http://versiontracker.com )

1 GB is better but 512 is sufficient. More RAM means fewer little hesitations and beachballs generally: the HD isn't relied on as much.

5. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

At first I thought you were going to be whining about the rumored release on Tuesday :).

As far as memory, my advice is: If it already has 512MB, you ought to be fine. If it has 256MB and you want more, get 512MB or 1GB more.

I'd get an airport card also if you don't have one (and the budget allows). Wireless is really nice to have.

No advice on software really. Get what you need. I always put on X11 and gcc and things like that, but you may not need it....

6. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5