Just got an Ibook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by shortys408, Feb 7, 2006.

1. shortys408 macrumors regular

I recently received a 12" ibook from a relative as a gift. I tried returning it for store credit at my local apple store so I could upgrade to a macbook pro because I already have 1500$ in store credit. They would not let me return the ibook. Should I keep it or sell it?

2. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

If you want a macbook pro then sell it now before its replaced and value goes down.

3. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

That's a very nice present from a relative! And because of that, I personally would find selling it a bit awkward. But if you want an MBP, maybe just discuss it with them first so they don't get upset/offended.

4. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

here at macrumors we offer technological and social advice. :)

5. shortys408 thread starter macrumors regular

The value for these on ebay isnt very much. like 700-800$. Is the macbook pro really THAT much better? I hardly care about the built in isight and front row.

6. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

If you are using PPC software no not really. If you arent then it will be much much faster. Widescreen and better resolution and overall better picture since the video card is better. Thinner. A few other things. Just go over to apple store and compare specs.

7. shortys408 thread starter macrumors regular

I need a computer for school. I start in June.

I like the ibook because it is smaller and lighter then the macbook pro. It will be easier to carry around. I also like the battery life. The only upgrade I could think of would be more memory.

The macbook pro is newer and faster. I would not be doing very much with this computer except typing, email, internet, instant messanging, and viewing music and videos.

8. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

Sell the ibook now and then get its replacement in April. The current ibook will easily handle all these tasks but the new one will have a better screen and will handle them all a little faster.

9. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

If this is the situation, then keep the iBook and save the money for something else. An iBook is ideal for what you want.

10. shortys408 thread starter macrumors regular

The ibook is most appealing because I will have 1500$ in store credit that I can spend on ANYTHING at apple :)

11. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

will these new ibooks be the same price as the current ones?

12. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

I always miss some details. Keep the ibook then. Forget what I said.

13. shortys408 thread starter macrumors regular

The ibook wasnt really a gift. I got it for free doing one of those internet things where you sign up for a few offers.

14. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

I say keep it. iBooks are fantastic for school. When you have a $3000 laptop, trust me, you don't like putting it in your backpack.

15. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

When you have a $3000 laptop, trust me, you don't like putting it in your backpack.

absolutely. I'd be terrified to put a mbp in my backpack.

16. johnnybluejeans macrumors 6502

Ok dude.. first you say "I recently received a 12" ibook from a relative as a gift. ", now you say "I got it for free doing one of those internet things where you sign up for a few offers."

Get your story straight, and then lets talk.

17. shortys408 thread starter macrumors regular

18. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Definitely keep the iBook and just order some more memory from crucial.com. The iBook is ideal for a student and will be perfect for your needs. Spend that $1500 Apple Store credit on something else, like an iMac. :)

19. shortys408 thread starter macrumors regular

can i add on the protection plan? Is it worth it? Will this computer still be good in a year or 2?

20. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Do they REALLY work? Or are they just spam scams? What is the website that you got it from?

21. johnnybluejeans macrumors 6502

Yes yes, please spam these forums.

22. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Um... thanks officer bluejeans. I'm not interested in the offer, and couldn't be anyway because they are almost always US-only things. It was out of curiosity and hence not spam.
    By the way, I think you(OP) should just keep the iBook and don't buy applecare, unless you get a great deal.

23. bah-bah'd macrumors regular

Which is probably why he did not mention this story to begin with... Waddup off topic!

Keep your iBook~!~

24. sk1985 macrumors regular

True that. Thats why I bought my ibook (that and I wanted one of the last "real oldschool macs"). I personally can't wait to buy a macbookpro but I'm holding out until intel drops their next gen processors.

25. shortys408 thread starter macrumors regular

I put it on craigslist, if I get a good offer I will sell it. If not I will keep it. I hate all those scammers on craigslist.