Just got back from 4 week trip to US

Discussion in 'Community' started by johnnyjibbs, May 17, 2004.

1. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Hi guys!

Well, I haven't really been on MacRumors for a while, one month to be exact, as I've just come back from a geology fieldtrip to the south-western US (I live in the UK). It was my first trip there since 1999, and so my first chance to check out an Apple Store.

I left for the US, just after the new PBs/iBooks and got to check them out in San Francisco's new store (I also bumped into one on Santa Monica 3rd St Promenade and one in Pasadena). Superb! The staff were really friendly and I got an Airport Extreme card (as much cheaper in US) and wireless mouse (no banter about 1 button please!). I've just installed them now and they're brilliant! I took some photos while I was there, until a security guard stopped me. The theatres were showing GarageBand demonstrations and I had my first go on a dual 2GHz G5. (I've decided my 1GHz G4 is actually pretty fast). I can't wait for the London store to open this xmas - it's just an hour away for me. (Interestingly, the current manager of the Santa Monica store is going to be in charge of the London operation, I'm informed from staff there).

One thing, it's probably been discussed to death already, but I noticed that the new iBook 12" has a 1.07GHz G4, and is therefore faster than my PowerBook. Is mine actually 1.07 GHz (unlikely), or have they used some newer, different chip in the new iBook? Seems odd to me.

It may surprise you that I didn't take my 12" PB on the trip, but I didn't want it to get trashed. We were mainly camping, so keeping the battery charged would also have been a problem. Still, with using the Apple stores to check email, I didn't have to use a Windows computer at all while out there!

I graduate from my degree this July, and then I'm going to do some travelling. I'd love to go and work in the US but getting a work permit is pretty difficult. I have to say that the UCLA campus is pretty neat and I'd love to have studied there! It even has its own Apple section in the store there!

Some of us went out early (to make the most of our flight costs), hired cars and saw LA, Big Sur, San Francisco and Yosemite. Fantastic! I also love driving in the US - the automatics are fun, driving on the right feels more natural and there are no roundabouts! Far less traffic than Britain too (even LA wasn't too bad). The fieldtrip itself saw us visit Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, Monument Valley, Goosenecks (Utah), Canyon de Chelly, Bandelier (New Mexico), Morenci Copper mine and more. It was really fascinating and I'd love to go back! And of course the weather was fantastic! I'm having a hard time getting used to the cold "good weather" patchy sunshine of England again.

So I just thought I'd share a bit of my trip and experience of Apple stores with you all. It's hard to sink in that's it's over, but at least I've got some treats: iTunes 4.5 and my new Mac goodies. And I didn't miss any G5 updates either...

John

2. yuc7zhd2 macrumors regular

I'm glad you enjoyed the trip. It seems like were in a bit of a mirror situation (I'd like to move and work in the UK for a bit after my December college graduation). I intend to look up some information on my own, but if you're aware, how difficult is it for a US citizen to get a work permit in Britain?

3. johnnyjibbs thread starter macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I don't think it's as difficult for you to come to the UK as it is for me to go to the US... but I could be wrong. I remember a few years ago there was a story about a family from Alberquerque who moved to Colchester in England, near where I live, because they thought it was safer...

I guess it's not as warm in Ohio as California, right? The thing I hate most about Britain is the weather.

4. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Too bad you couldn't hang out, i'd love to have taken you into the hood and drink some 40's with my friends.. :D

5. yuc7zhd2 macrumors regular

Yeah, Ohio is pretty much terrible weather all the time. Definitely not California. I can deal with bad weather though as long as there is something to do.

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

More???

You packed an incredible amount of siteseeing into the last month. I'm glad to hear you had such a good trip, John. You had no problem with L.A. traffic so you must live right!

7. johnnyjibbs thread starter macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

There's so much great stuff. I need to come back and spend a week in each of Yosemite and Grand Canyon to hike through them, etc. I like the feeling of scale: you can drive for 100 miles and not encounter a town or village - in England, you're never more than about 5 miles from a settlement. Nothing fits in photos out there either!

We hardly saw a cloud the whole trip. Mind you, I saw a bit of telly on the last night and it doesn't sound so good everywhere else but the south west. There were tornadoes and floods in Texas, and torrential rain just about everywhere else..

Ohio: no California but I bet you get bigger extremes of weather than Britain. Here's it's unpredictable, but always 'mild' or 'warm', never 'hot' or 'cold'. We never get very strong winds and our flooding is nothing like what some of you guys can get in the States.

Side note about buying alcohol: It's funny but we were all ID'd every single time we bought anything - even some of the PhD demonstrators who were 25 or so (we're all 22). In Britain, a 12 year-old could get a drink with a bit of stubble or some make-up on (our limit is 18).

It's funny. I'm not much of a city-goer. I live only an hour outside London but I live in the country (there's still civilisation though). I couldn't live in London but I could live in Los Angeles. San Francisco too - that place is just magical.

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That's an amazing amount of travel and you went right through my backyard.
    I wish I'd known where you were going I would have recommended a few places to visit along the way. If you were in Flagstaff you might have stumbled on Beaver Street Bewery one of my favorites.
    Did you see Santa Fe?

9. johnnyjibbs thread starter macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

We drove through Albequerque and Santa Fe but we didn't stop. That section was part of the field-trip so we had limited scope for what itinery we could do. We did see Meteor Crator and Petrified Forest in Arizona though, oh, and the Hoover Dam. (BTW we only bypassed Las Vegas :D , but I went there before, 7 years ago)

10. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    mate, you've seen more of the US in a month than i have in the 6 years i've been over here! and oh how i wish they have roundabouts here, so many places they have stop sogns or traffic lights, when there's never anything around! it makes travelling so painful sometimes. mind you, the few roundabouts they have (rotaries) are all wrong, you have to stop on the circle, not before you enter it, if you get what i mean.

anyways, i'd love to visit the places you went, gotta get me a nice dSLR first though. NYC next eh? glad you had a pukka time fella

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

you went to a good part of the US, let me tell you :) iowa is a frozen tundra for a season and a half, then two weeks of spring and then it's blistering heat and humidity. Beautiful, historic state but totally uninhabitable. I'm wanting very much to move to the west coast, the trick will be convincing my partner to make the move. I just want someplace that's warm and well-connected, scenic, immense.

The opposite is my other choice, amsterdam, which is well-connected and scenic but cramped and cold. I just don't know if i can deal with winters anymore! it's driving me crazy...

paul

12. Merf macrumors regular

California is cool!

Yeah I agree california is pretty nice. I have lived here all 18 years of my life and have enjoyed it. But I don't live in southern California I live way north in a small small town of about 3500. My whole countie has like 10,000 people in it and its like one of the biggest in california so we can drive for hours and still be in it! The biggest city is an hour away and its population is 76,000. So basically I have a small town life, recently though I got to go to my first apple store! It was in Palo Alto it was great I ,like you, got my first experince with a G5. wow it was so much faster then my g3. They were friendly and helpfull there and I bought a nice usb mouse. One day here soon I want to move down there and try the city life. At least be in the action for a while. My uncle lives in sunnyvale maybe I can stay there! Oh well glad that you had fun here in California.

Merf

13. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Glad you enjoyed my home town :)

I'm glad that you had a great trip. I worked in Santa Monica - on 2nd Street - about 15 years ago, and the 3rd Street Promenade was pretty derelict back then. Stores like Woolworths, which were dying, shuttered shops etc didn't attract a nice crowd.

I gotta say hats off to the City of Santa Monica for really doing a great job of turning that place around. It's a real mecca for tourists now, and you should have felt right at home with all those English pubs down there :)

I find UCLA a little impersonal, but it's definitely not boring, that's for sure. With it's own medical center etc it's almost like a miniature city.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Good that you enjoyed yourself and got away a while.

Better off out there for 4 weeks than on the east coast. Around Philadelphia, you have to check to see if you've changed cities because they run up against one another. In Florida, you'd find it both ways--mindless stretches of nothing as well as constant development.

15. clubmedia macrumors regular

16. johnnyjibbs thread starter macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Yeah, we went to an English pub in Santa Monica. I think it was the King's Head, or something like that. Felt like home, except there was no smoke so you could actually see! I wish it was like that in England!

clubmedia: yes and yes. We went to a few student bars in Westwood (UCLA). I think it's generally true what they say about Californian women...

Oh, UCLA is big though - 36000 students? My uni has about 10 thousand.