Just got back from a presentation with Seymour Papert

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by joecool85, Nov 16, 2005.

1. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

You know, the $100 laptop guy. Pretty good presentation. He also talked about the Steve Jobs offering OS X thing. Basically the big reason he turned it down is because of OS X taking too much high end hardware to run properly. Overall a cool thing. I want one :)

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Maybe they'll sell a version in the US that will be allowed run OS X...still even with Linux I'd get one too.

3. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

They look pretty cool too.

http://laptop.media.mit.edu/laptop-images.html

The neatest thing is that even though they will have minimal specs, they are going to be running off flash hds, and are going to be using a special version of Linux built by Red Hat that is made for low system speeds/memory and has very few read/write sequences in normal operation. Should be wicked cool.

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Any laptop with a crank is KICK-A** COOL in my book. :D

You can FORGET battery life issues forever!

5. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

I can see someone at my school bringing one of those in and just cranking it to piss the professor off

6. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

the idea is to give children in the developing nation access to a laptop which is a noble cause. however, the practicality of the implimentation of giving or selling laptops to these poor children wouldn't work out in the long run. Although, I haven't read the research on it yet, so I don't know. Yet, I imagine a lot of these kids or their families if they recieved them for free would sell them or the kids would sell them or they would be stolen from the young kids at least. You'd always put survial over a laptop. none the less though, it will provide a different demographic access to laptops perhaps not the one they are shooting for. I'd have to read up on this though.

7. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

I'm not sure exactly the age group, but it is broad. He mentioned 8 year olds using them. The plan isn't like here in maine where 7th and 8th graders are provided laptops, he seriously means EVERY child. So why would another child steal someones when he has his own? Also, several 3rd world countries have already contacted him with express interest in this program.

8. iGav macrumors G3

9. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

Yick, can't agree with you there. Still a great idea (both in design and in implementation).

10. iGary Guest

iGary

Duh, it's a slot machine.

All a conspiracy. :D