Just got back from my Wal-Mart...

Discussion in 'Games' started by WeeShoo, Dec 23, 2006.

1. WeeShoo macrumors regular

And there were 3 PS3'S! Nobody wanted them! The store was packed, and I heard a couple people asking if they had any Wii's in.

2. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

The same with my Walmart in Ny. I went out with a copy of Zelda for the gamecube. It has to be the price.

3. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

My local Wal-Mart was the same: No Wii's but had 1 PS3 (60GB model).

4. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

The pricetag, especially of the 60gb model, is prohibitive and beyond the budgets of most people- those who could afford to spend a couple thousand on one already bought 'em on ebay in the initial rush and those who can't won't be buying a 60gb at the retail price now...

nintendo did it right by pricing the wii where most americans could probably hit it come christmastime...the 60gb PS3 really has a price tag for serious gamers only.

5. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

i was in target yesterday and they
    had a 20gig PS3 in stock... the only
    person that seemed interested in it
    was an employee...

i overheard customers talking about
    wii and how they couldnt find them
    anywhere...

funny since its the pS3 that is supposed
    to be impossible to find, yet the wii
    which there were supposed to be plenty
    of are MIA...

go nintendo!!!

6. buffalo macrumors 65816

Just keep the Playstation 3 bashing coming. Really though, I've read enough threads about how much the PS3 sucks and how nobody wants them, while at the same time everyone wants a Wii. A side note that Playstation 3s are sold out everywhere where I live.

I guess I'm just saying that all these anti-PS3 threads are getting kind of old.

*prepares to get flamed*

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hmm, has the OP been around here much? Doesn't look it. Making it just a natural observation.

You cannot get a Wii in Oldham, Ashton, Huddersfield, Sheffield, Bury, Manchester, Trafford Centre or Rochdale at all. There are simply none left. *just to add to the no Wii choir.

8. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Sorry, I just don't see this as an anti-ps3 thread. It is just a fact. I have had 3 opportunities to buy a PS3 now and didn't buy one all three times because I can't spend that kind of money with only one good game out and an alternative that seems just as good for $200 cheaper.

The last time I saw some PS3s there were 8 at Costco and they couldn't get anyone to buy them...I'm sure they eventually did but it shouldn't be that hard to sell the a new console at Christmas time.

I got my Wii but good luck getting one now...I have only seen the one I have and I had to wait in line for 5 hours to get it...

9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

PS3's are just as rare as Wii's around here. Not sure where abouts the OP is but i find it hard to believe most the "i found it at target/walmart/insertstorenamehere and no one was buying it" The local gamestop cant keep either system in stock, the only next gen system that isnt flying off shelves is the 360.

I havent seen one on shelves, empty display boxes sure, the real thing nope. But then again it doesnt take much to come here start bashing a system and spewing BS in an attempt to fuel flames.

This thread is useless without photos, most phones have cameras on them, come on Sony bashers prove it.

Ed

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Sure they are. The difference is that when you have 50 Xbox 360s in stock and you sell 30, it doesn't look as dramatic as having 6 Wiis and selling all of them or getting 4 PS3s and selling 2 of them.

11. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

My point was that they were on the shelves, sorry. I didnt mean that it wasnt a wanted item :eek:

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, obviously Microsoft are a bunch of morons for making sure that there's plenty of their consoles available for people to buy. :rolleyes: :p

13. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

My Best Buy got a big shipment of PS3s yesterday, and there were definitely people buying them. I saw one guy with two. I live in Orange County, CA, lots of affluent people around here, so maybe that makes a difference. Lots of people were also asking for Wiis, but no luck.

I don't think anyone is bashing the PS3 here, just pointing out that the hype seems to be dying down. I'll happily buy one in a year or two, when the price comes down, or if it gets a game I really want to play, or if Blu-ray takes off. For now, why worry about it?:)

14. 7on macrumors 601

7on

15. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I went into an EB Games store in a mall near me (Cincinnati, OH) yesterday around 3:00 in the afternoon...they had 3 PS3's.

Not sure what the specs were, I didn't ask because I wasn't interested. I wanted a Wii.

16. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Ok Ed, we get your point. Nobody is going to take their camera Christmas shopping with them just to prove a point that is already all over many blogs on the internet for you.

Also, your second post was rude and unneeded.

17. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I dont think ive seen a modern mobile that doesnt have a camera. Most consumers have a camera on their phone, its not the quality of the photo its the content.

As far as being rude, so be it. Until there is proof to backup the claim all they are is BS. Maybe 1 is true, but even thats a long shot.

Ed

18. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

don't worry after a couple of years it will be 30 million ps3's sold and a big lead for sony.

19. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I absolutely agree, completely unnecessary.

I believe the stories, the Wii is definitely the hot console this time, and good for Nintendo because it's a blast!

The PS3 is just way too expensive for a gaming console.

20. iRhyknow macrumors member

iRhyknow

I too have seen a PS3 in the wild, a 60 Gig at that, last night at Best Buy. I almost bought it even, but my wife would have killed me. Our Wii is under the tree. I sat in line for 3 hours to get it launch night at our local Walmart. :mad:

I really don't think that there is any reason to be upset about Playstations being seen for sale. The biggest issue they have is their price tag. No one is saying its a bad console.

21. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Ahh, blissful schadenfreude. Sony is getting the punch in the pocketbook they deserve for their corporate snootiness.

And Ed, it's a fact that Wiis are flying off the shelves at a much faster pace than PS3s, given availability. My close friend manages an EB (Tysons Corner, VA) and says that Wiis are sold out within minutes of the store opening, whereas PS3s tend to sit around for a few hours. He also said that the number of calls concerning Wii to PS3 were a dozen to one.

(and he's a pretty neutral party - he's owned every console since the NES [including Jaguar, CD-i, and other obscure boxes] and has a couple hundred games sitting on his shelf.)

22. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

laaaaaff.

23. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I think people just generally assume that the PS3 will be sold out and then opt to ask for the Wii. But hey its all speculation. Both companies are selling out. I own both the PS3 and the Wii, i honestly can care less. The one thing i dislike is the fact that you come here and start making claims that your post cant justify. (that isnt aimed at you gloss)

Ed

24. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Fair enough.

Honestly, the last thing I'd want is for Sony to go down the tubes, Sega-style. But they do need to show a little less arrogance and a little more appreciation for their customer base, something that's been sorely lacking the past couple of years. I think losing a chunk of their market share might sober them up to the fact that they're not invincible, and the world doesn't have as much disposable income as they might like to think.

Sony makes some brilliant hardware, but their customer relations and general business practices are atrocious.