Just got demoted

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by leekohler, Aug 10, 2006.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ugh- guys, my company restructured again and I just got demoted along with my 2 bosses. They offered me a job that would still pay the same (but without my title), and I have to tell you, I think it's time to go. Some of you have seen my thread on my job woes before.

I feel betrayed and demoralized to be nice about it.

My situation at the moment is: I just bought a new Mac a few months ago that I need to pay off, I have a sick and dying cat, and not a ton of cash in the bank right now. If I take this position, I will no longer be salaried but hourly. That means I can get overtime which is the only good thing about it. I told them I would give them a decision Monday. So I'm stuck between my dignity and my financial situation. If I stay, I'll work as much overtime as possible and pay off the Mac while I look for a new job. If I leave Monday, things will be scary and fairly uncertain.

Guys, I loved my job for many years. I know that it's time to go, but I need advice on how to proceed. BTW- I should also point out that I have always had spotless reviews and have busted my butt for this company. I've won them accounts, worked overnight, etc.

Please give me some words. Thanks.

2. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Sorry to hear of your troubles.:eek: I would accept the new position until you find other work. Once you do, then split...

Hang in there though!!!

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah, I'm kind of leaning toward the same.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, first, my sympathies. My own work environment has been a bit scary for years, so I understand.

Second, I'd keep the job, work the overtime, and look for another job, as opposed to just quitting and then looking. It's always easier to find work when you have it, and the money is important.

But do look. You've said before it's time to go, and you know this job will only get worse. Hopefully, this is the kick in the pants you need.

Still planning on maybe moving somewhere else entirely?

PS I hope your cat either gets better or isn't suffering. My sympathies there as well.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Thank you. You are correct, this is the kick in the a** I needed. However, now would not be the time to leave the country as much as I would really like to right now.

I just am really upset. I loved this job for a years and I hate to see it end like this, but hey- that's the way it goes.

Oh and the cat is not going to get better. He's 14 with a brain tumor and it's just a matter of time.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Completely agree.

Try not to let ego get the best of you. Maybe think in terms of football. It is 4th down and 20. What is the best strategy to get a first down, or in your case a new job while maintaining your current income stream?

BTW, it is always easier to get another job when you have one.

Best of luck!

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Thanks guys, I'm kind of tearing up. I learned a lot from this company and it was so good for so long. It just really upsets me that it's coming down this way. I got teary a couple times today. It's like, why do these things have to happen, you know? After we got bought by a multinational, everything went to hell and quick. We had 10 people quit this week alone. It's really bad.

8. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I think it's time for you to start that new career... as a model ;) ;)

9. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Heehee! I've done that before actually. :) Just small runway stuff mostly here in Chicago.

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Another reason to leave - so you'll have good memories, instead of even more of these recent ones. It sucks when companies go to hell in a hand basket, but it happens all of the time. The thing to recognize is that it isn't going to get better and that you're staying there purely for financial reasons until you can move on. I've had two companies do that to me (well, more than two have gone south, but two really made me sad about it). I know what you're feeling, at least to some extent, and it does suck.

11. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'm sorry this had to happen to you. I think that you should stick with a steady income rather then have no income at all. Best of luck in finding a new job.

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I think that makes sense. I mean, the people over me were not happy about it. They were really upset but their hands are tied because of the company that bought us. My boss was really upset about it and said he'd help me out in any way he could as far as the future (or new job prospects) is concerned.

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you had $$$ in the bank I'd say leave to save your sanity, but you don't so you need to gut it out. Dignity doesn't pay the rent. ;)

I was in a similar situation late last year. Things were going sour w/the company that I was working and early this year they restructured the department which included effectively demoting me (same pay, but the move would've pushed one step farther away from the position I was going for). I kicked it around over the weekend and ultimately went w/my initial reaction, screw you guys, I'm goin' home. But my gf and I were in a financial position where I could be outta work for 4-5 months. Let me tell you it was one of the most liberating things I've done in my life. No regrets about it. I became so unhappy working there that when I left if was like a dark cloud that had been following me for months disappeared.

I hope you can find a way out sooner rather than later.

Lethal

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

What's a title? Nothing. It's how you feel about yourself that matters and whether the company takes care of you properly.

Think of all the overtime you won't be working because they won't pay you to do it now. :)

If, after a while, it still bothers you, find another job.

15. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Thank you everyone. I'll definitely give it thought over the weekend and see what I feel. I have some talking to do with a lot of people before I decide. I would love to stay and take their money in overtime, but I also think I'm worth more than how I've been treated. Thanks, all of you. I'll let you know what happens.

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Y'all should hear the full story. This man has been putting in 60 hour weeks, worked an 18 hour day a couple weeks ago, and doesn't get paid a cent extra for his hard work. People have been quitting because of all the mistreatment.

Knowing the very very very bad history of this company and the way they treat their employees I say apply for unemployment, freelance your butt off, look for a new job, and take a loan if you must.

Life's too short to spend it working for people who demote you for good, hard work.

e

17. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You're getting the same money, you're doing the same work but you have a different title? Is it really a demotion or is it just that the 'new' company have different levels in their structure and they're bringing you into line with that?

If you're putting in that many extra hours then the fact that you get OT will be a good thing (unless of course the 'same' money part of the deal is 'on-target after lots of OT)

Have they said anything about career paths within the new company in the next few years? And what you would have to do to get back to similar title/level?

Keep the job for now - see what happens and start looking around for something else in the meantime.

18. Queso macrumors G4

Lee, no company who does that to it's staff deserves respect in return. Make sure that whatever new contract they try and put you on doesn't have a long notice period, and start sending out your resumé now. Alternatively tell your existing company that you want to work as a freelancer rather than on an hourly rate, then use the extra time on your hands to tart your work out to other prospective clients whilst still using these bastards to cover the bills.

Whatever you choose, don't work any time you're not getting paid for, and don't be scared to ask your friends to consider you or if they know of any freelance work that could be pushed your way. It's all about using your contacts until you get yourself established.

This could be an opportunity if you play it right. Try not to lose sleep over it. You're better than they are.

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

This reminds me of a buddy of mine. A very talented fellow.

He worked for a large company. If I understood correctly, his position was something like this:

CEO
    |
    SVP
    |
    VP
    |
    Director
    |
    Manager
    |
    My buddy

His Manger was let go. He assumed the Manager's responsibilities in addition to his own. Then his Director was let go and he assumed his responsibilities. So he was filling in for all three positions, yet was not permanently promoted nor given any sort of pay raise. He loved his job(s) and responsibilities. He really liked the company and didn't want to leave.

However, he had become very frustrated because of the situation. There was no recognition of his efforts. On one of my trips back to the states, we had a heart to heart and did a pro/con analysis of the situation. To make a long story short, he left the company and found a wonderful new job.

I think one of the hardest things for many to realize that in most cases it is just a job. Sometimes we get so involved and put so much effort into our jobs that we forget how quickly management would let us go if needed. We feel so valuable -- non-replaceable if you will.

However, to put things in perspective, question how long it would take for management to replace you if you died today. Sobering thought, but everyone is replaceable.

With this in mind, search out what you want to do. Be loyal to the company while you work there, and work hard, but at the same time look out for yourself and jump ship when it is best for you and the opportunity presents itself.

20. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

well said. QFT.

e

21. Lau Guest

Good advice there.

Also, I don't think there's any harm in briefly taking the job to keep the bills paid, as long as you immediately start looking for another job. If you did leave now to 'prove' that you're worth more than that, the company won't care, and won't see your point. Companies like that never do. Wankers that they are. :(

22. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

This sounds like the best option for you leekohler. :eek:

I hope that everything works out for you. :)

23. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

No- it's a demotion. I get the same money, but I'll be doing a job I was doing 6 years ago, something I worked very hard to get promoted out of. It's very depressing. As far as career paths, are you kidding? I just got kicked in the face, I think they think they're doing me a favor.

You guys thanks. I'm dragging myself in there today. I just hope I don't go off on anyone.

24. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Fine... then definitely look into leaving but keep taking their cash in the meantime. Can you sign up with any agencies in the area to 'look' on your behalf?

If there's a limited amount of overtime available (ie any doubt that you'll get paid for ALL of the extra hours) don't work them. Tell em you have a life and you're going home.

25. tektonnic macrumors 6502

tektonnic

I'm a recruitment consultant and if any candidate had explained your situation to me I would have instantly said don't move until you have an offer somewhere else, you don't want to burn any bridges or ruin yourself financially, as difficult as it is you have to swallow your pride and work at it until you can find another job.

Get your CV on job boards and out to agencies, if you are in sales I would suggest Monster, as in the UK its great for sales positions and you can also post your CV confidentially - covering your ass in your current company.

I wish you the best of luck, and if you want to chat feel free to pm me.