Just got EyeTV 250.....

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MBP123, Aug 16, 2006.

1. MBP123 macrumors regular

May 26, 2006
    and im RATHER dissapointed with the quality of the picture. i have all the settings as high as they can possibly go, and i have digital cable (no HD though), and i plug in the coaxial cable from the box into the eye tv, and then to my computer, and its pretty poor quality. when i go back to college is when ill be using it hte most, and its just standard cable there, no box. would the quality improve? on my tvs, which are both CRTs and pretty cheap inexpensive tvs, but they have MUCH better quality then the signal im getting from the eyetv......and im on a macbook pro with 2gigs of ram
  2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    I would never recommend any elgato product as a full time tv replacement, they just can't really do the job. Sometimes its nice as a tivo replacement or for privacy but in general, you either have to get used to what you got or return it.
  3. MBP123 thread starter macrumors regular

May 26, 2006
    is there any similiar product that offers superior quality
  4. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    Yep a TV :)

Seriously a cheap monitor/tv combo would probably serve better. I have had nothing but problems with Eye TV 2.3 and an EyeTV wonder USB2 since they updated... Apalling picture and glitches every few minutes... A pain....
  5. barr08 macrumors 65816

Aug 9, 2006
    Boston, MA
    TV tuners will never get perfect pictures, unless they are HD. It has to do with the high resolution of your LCD compared to the low resolution of a TV.

Before it died, I just used my 250 for recording shows that I missed. The convinience made up for the lack of quality.
  6. imnotatfault macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2004
    Also keep in mind that EyeTV 250 is analog, not digital. So even though you have digital cable, you are still ONLY receiving analog signal, thus getting analog picture.

I'm definitely a video snob, as last season I only watched my favorite shows in HD or not at all (Lost, Prison Break, etc.), but sometimes convenience makes us settle, like a poster above me said.

Try the EyeTV Hybrid if you really need better quality. That's what I opted for.