Just got first iPad, where is the calculator?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by farmermac, Mar 6, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

Just got my first iPad a few days ago. Couldn't resist the fire sale on iPads on CL. Having a iphone i figured i didnt really need one (esp. at $550 for the smallest one) but for $300 figured why not try it out. I find myself using it pretty much all the time over the iphone when at home. great device! It feels bulkier and heavier then I expected it to, and is kind of hard to hold comfortably without the Apple case. Im anxious to play with the new one now to see just how much better it is to hold.

I was a bit surprised to see Apple didnt include the calculator with the iPad. What's up with that? I use it all the time on my iPhone and had to use spotlight to make sure it wasnt hidden somewhere or that I had missed it.

2. macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 24+.
  3. macrumors newbie

Old news:) yeah, it was pretty odd when the ipad came out a year ago, that it didnt include a calculator and weather and yada yada. However, theres a beast of an app store that contains better calculators than the default apple calculator anyways:)

4. macrumors member

There is no calculator on the iPad. But there are plenty of calculator apps that can be used with the iPad.

I use the app called Digits Calculator myself.

5. macrumors 68000

more than the calculator I missed the clock, weather and stocks app. The other clock apps just arent as nice as apples implementation

6. macrumors 68000

Sydde

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the tips. I realize I can download apps that fill this void but I really do wonder why Apple left those off the iPad yet they are on the iPod touch.

still kicks ass though :)

Makes me want to go to the store and try other tables just to see how clunky they feel

8. macrumors 6502

To be honest i think its because the apps they left of look strange scaled up, they need like a widget page for it but i think without redoing the hole OS they almost admit defeat to androids widget idea, which is fine by me because i wouldn't mind. I hope iOS 5 brings a revamp other wise i think this will be the year other operating systems become more appealing.

9. macrumors 65816

frunkis54

?

numbers is a spreadsheet program what does that have to with a calculator?

10. macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

For weather, I found an app called WeatherBug. It's great.

11. macrumors member

In the app store. Tons of free ones. No big deal.

12. macrumors 68020

Numbers can do calculations, still a pretty ridiculous thing to say, though.