Just got given a PSP. What can I do with it?

Discussion in 'Games' started by AlBDamned, Jul 29, 2005.

1. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Well it seems there are some unexpected perks to my job. This morning as part of a client promotion, in the post I received a brand new, Japanese PSP 'value pack' complete with UK power adaptor, earphones, carry case, Memory Stick and the game 'Dead to Rights'.

Now. Obviously it plays games but other than that, I've not really looked into these natty bits of kit too much.

What else does it do? I have wireless at my house, will it work with that? In what respect? Is the pithy 128MB card the only source for saving stuff to? Will it even work online seeing as they're not released in the UK until September.

I haven't been this confused by a gadget since, well, a long time!

2. 1nsanity macrumors regular

First, you can buy seperate memory stick duo pro ranging from 32 to 2 gig sticks(4gig soon if not already available)

Second, you can play music, mp3 or watch pictures on the psp.
    I even think you can play roms, snes for example.

Just search over the net, there is plenty you can do with a psp and everyday the list seems to grow!

Have fun!

3. risc macrumors 68030

risc

4. macfunlerman macrumors newbie

5. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Already had some pretty infrequentl visitors knocking on the door! The secretary had unpacked it by the time I got it this morning so by about 9.01 am the whole office knew about it.

I didn't realise there's a whole Mac app for it (PSP Ware). Thats awesome.

Anyone have any game recommendations? Dead to Rights looks pretty good but I'm thinking Gran Turismo and GTA maybe?

6. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Go online! I was using the Wipeout game's download feature to surf the web a bit, but that hack is pretty weak. The new firmware update v2.0 installs a nice browser, among other cool features, and works well for surfing.
    I have a 1GB stick (around $90 if you shop, and the price drops almost daily), which is enough space for two movies, some photo's, game saves, and a song or two.

Have fun. Buy Wipeout and Lumines.

7. tfh1013 macrumors member

You can browse the internet with a game called Wipeout Pure and with the new 2.0 firmware, you can browse the internet from the home screen.

8. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

How the hell do I get online with it?

Not at home at the mo, and the office only has ethernet not wireless. I don't see a port for that :eek:

Firmware is 1.5 I think. Got a separate UK manual on CD, and it's 127 pages long which will take a while.

Little neoprene case is pretty cool. Not sure about the white wristrap. Screen clarity is very impressive.

What if I plug the powerbook into the ethernet and then feed the PSP through that? God, I was just starting to properly get to grips with the 'book's capabilities and this has thrown me right out again.

9. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i got the USA psp and have updated it to 2.0 and all i can say is WOW

made me giggle how many ppl in my town do not put passwords on there wifi routers hehe

Belkin54 anyone lol

o and it plays games dam fine too

10. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Where do I go to Update to 2.0?

11. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I second getting a 1GB card. I got mine off eBay, about £70-80 i think from USA. Arrived in like 4 days which was amazing.

Next use PSPWare to convert some video - I ripped individual VOB files of Futurama episodes, converted them using PSPWare, slammed them on my PSP and watched them during my lunch. You could just about get a film on a 512MB card, but its not the greatest quality.

Get some more games - I recommend Ridge Racer. I'm not usually a fan of racing games, but this is truely addictive. I played it for hours while travelling down to London to visit friends. I've also got Tony Hawk for it, but I cant play that for longer than 5 mins as it gives me motion sickness or something (!), so that'll end up on eBay soon.

Wait for GTA and Burnout to come out on PSP! Burnout will be the ideal PSP game, especially crash mode. Short 30 second blasts on the PSP is ideal.

I'd quite like to play Mercury as well as it looks frustratingly addictive!

Theres also the option to stick photos and music on your PSP, but I got an iPod so I'm covered for music. If you use PSPWare a lot, pay the $15 to register it - stops those annoying popups!

Have fun!

12. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

download fromhere . According to the message boards at PSPWorld, the Japanese version works fine over here, although there have been murmurs that Sony says US PSP's should await the US firmware update or risk voiding your warranty. I have no idea of their stance in the UK, though. I've used it for a couple of days with no problems at all.

• download firmware update
    • mount your PSP on your desktop via USB connection
    • drag the downloaded fileEBOOT.PBP into GAMES/UPDATE folder
    • sync using PSPWare or whatever else you are using
    • on the PSP go to games, select memory stick
    • select the update and install

13. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Ridge Racer I'll deffo ahve a look at. Loved that game since RR Revolution on the original PS.

How much might you want for Tony Hawk? I nearly blew my college course becuse of THPS 3 on the XBOX. That and Halo were responsible for many, many late nights and early mornings!

Also, Battery Life: Whats the go on average? I don't think I'll be watching or listening to too much on it, but for gameplaying, I heard about 4 hours. Is that right?

14. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

ugh if you have firmware 1.5, I would suggest NOT upgrading your firmware, since any firmware above 1.5 wont allow you to run homebrew games, ie emulators and homebrew games.

15. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

About 18 quid for Tony Hawk, as its in perfect condition. Yeah I hear that - during my first year of Uni, I didnt go to any lectures cuz I stayed up playing THPS 3 on PS2! I think that game has the best levels. Halo certainly didnt help either :D

4 hours is not unreasonable for the PSP. 3 hours minimum.. but that said my PSP is new so maybe it'll deteriorate, and it depends on how loud the sound is, what setting the back light is on, wether your using WiFi. Certainly plenty of time to play games.

16. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Really? 1nsanity mentioned SNES roms. Guess it would screw that over? Where do you get SNES games anyway? I could seriously handle Super Probotector in this thing.

17. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

This is exactly the reason I have not updated my firmware. Not only can you run emulators on the psp, you can play certain commercial psp games on the memory stick via various loader apps. Currently loving playing neo geo cd games on my psp.

I might have to update someday since some of the new psp games require the update to play. Or maybe I will have to buy a second psp.

18. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Or just wait until they've hacked the new firmware... ;)

19. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I thought only firmware 1.0 worked with home-brew software?

:EDIT: Google provided me with the answer that 1.5 works too.. I wont post it here as it probably violates the T&C of MR.

I'm glad my inability to read Japanese scared me into not updating my firmware! Now to try some emu's on my PSP.

20. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Sony has made the new firmware extremely hard to crack.

From Ign:

One extra note not in the official documents -- the PSP is more secure than ever against hacker and homebrew application support. Sony did not announce this officially, and we would never have known about it unless coders hadn't found the new chunks of added security code. 'Mr A' of MaxConsole reports that the PSP's security file has been significantly changed in the update, locking out all but the most determined hackers -- in order to play homemade programs on the PSP, coders would have to decrypt the security code, and in order to get the code to decrypt, they would have to have a cracked program to run on the system. Also new to this version is the presence of Sony's DNAS security system -- this system is notorious on PS2 for making things difficult on hackers (although it also has helped keep out cheaters), and although there is reported to be not much implementation yet of DNAS in the system, it's now in there.

Sony is right now in a battle with hackers to try to lock out pirate programs on PSP -- including emulators and even full-blown rips of PSP games -- and this is an important step for them. It is also a giant step back for home software makers and homebrew enthusiasts (as well as the semi-harmless PSP users who are gleefully enjoying these unlicensed programs.) Some users are refusing to update their PSPs if it means losing access to homebrew applications, and even the 2.00 update has not been enough to convince some. As Sony has, in the past, traveled a few steps down the road of open access with its Net Yaroze and PS2 Linux Kit, we would love to see SCE offer a homebrew development system for allowing PSP programmers to make applications. Until then, though, the debate continues.

21. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Is it not possible to switch back to 1.5 after trying out 2.0??? Also does 2.0 support AAC files???

One more question about data transfer with the PSP, can it be done with USB1 ports as that is all i have on my eMac or does it need USB2 if i want to transfer movies etc.....

If i cannot use USB1 is firewire an option??

ShadOW :)

22. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I dont think it is possible to downgrade your firmware. So if you plan on running homebrew software, dont upgrade! Yes, 2.0 supports AAC files - here are all the features included in 2.0.

USB 1 is fine, might take a little longer, but it'll still work.

You can't use firewire!

23. Kenrik macrumors 6502

hmm what can you do with a PSP... games.. Music.. Photos.. Movies.. internet.. <--- if you have version 2.0.. lots of homebrew stuff.. i'm sure at some point they will get linux working on the thing... then it will be like a mini PC.. they are comming out with keyboards so text will be easy hmm... there is a lot you can do with it!!

24. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

Isn't there a PSP Linux Port? That would be fun...

25. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Spent a few hour at the weekend playing on it and now itching to do more. Overall though, the graphics, sound and pretty much everything is superb.

Think I may try a few emulator programs, but I'm not going to overload it with stuff like movies and music as I have other relevant tech-stuff to look after that.

SNES9x the one to try?