Just got iMac - initial thoughts.. and help needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dalvin200, Apr 10, 2006.

1. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

I've just got the iMac, first time mac user..

Packaging - wonderful

Set up - a breeze!! love the 3d rotating box for each step.. wonderful!!

Downloaded updates and got updated firmware installed no probs..

BUT, i have a problem in that everytime i try and open photo booth, it fails and says the iSight is currently being used by another application. Also, there is a small green light next to the iSight camera.. ??

The iSight did work earlier as when I set the user up, it took a photo of me for the lil picture..

I'm pretty sure there are no other apps open..

Also, when you put the mac to sleep is there a white glowing from the lower right corner?

Any help is appreciated..

Only small niggle so far are the swapping of the " (quote) and @ (at symbol) on the keyboard to the conventional PC keyboard..

Other than that, i'm pretty happy.. so far :)

2. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Hey! Congratulations on the iMac purchase. Good choice. Well, I'm not much of an expert on iSights, so I really can't help you there. But yes, there is indeed supposed to be a flashing light in the corner when the iMac is asleep. If you watch it, it looks almost like the computer is "snoring". :p

3. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

I think i remember someone saying something like this before, sometimes it can be fixed by a simple restart, but it seems to be a bug that still needs to be ironed out.

As for the light, thats your mac sleeping, or breathing. Just one example of apple's design being right down to the minor details.

4. Eithanius macrumors 65816

restart restart.... :D

EDITED: somebody's spying on you with your own iSight.... :p

5. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

The iSight is supposed to have that light there, it tells you when it's on. Green - on, No Light - Off.
    OK well there is an application using your iSight... a quick way to do this is to just restart the machine, if you don't know what app is using this. Simple fix.

Yeah, the white light is supposed to glow... instead of snoring.. it's sleeping, like a pulse. :p

6. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

On Intel Macs?

Never heard of that. :confused:

7. dalvin200 thread starter macrumors 68040

thanks for the replies folks..

re: iSight..

i searched the forums, but couldn't find anything related, so i googled, and what's the first hit? a macrumors form topic..

even the apple support doc isn't any good, cos it relates to external iSights connected via firewire

i'll give the restart a go (i would of tried this but didn't have time as i had to get back to work).. if that doesn't work, you'll be the first to know :p

8. dalvin200 thread starter macrumors 68040

so the green light being ON, indicates that a program is currently using the iSight? which is why I am getting the error?

9. bah-bah'd macrumors regular

It is what the green light should mean. Check minimized application window since on a Mac when you 'click the red X' it does not quit the application, only closes the window.

So, to check if you have an application running, you can click the Apple logo in the top left and then Force Quit to see all your user apps that are running.

Applications you have to close by actually using File > Quit, etc.

10. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

I'm not sure, but I remember reading a thread where the OP was talking about this same issue, and a couple of others chimed in saying that they were also experiencing the same problem

11. dalvin200 thread starter macrumors 68040

"other thread"

12. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

thanks for that, your searching skills are far greater than mine:)

13. dalvin200 thread starter macrumors 68040

i actually found it by googling.. couldn't find the link when searching the forums!!

amazing :cool:

14. dalvin200 thread starter macrumors 68040

iSight solved

FYI, there was an app running which was using the iSight.. it was Comic Life!!

I closed it (or rather hid it) using the red cross, but forgot that it was *hidden* and not closed.. i'll just have to get used to this one :)

15. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

*shivers* that's wrong, its Application Name > Quit hehe, just had to fix that.