Just got mugged- what more can happen?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by geese, Dec 1, 2006.

1. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Oh christ- did anyone remember the 'bike got nicked' thread i started 3 weeks ago?

Well, i've just got mugged as well tonight. Wallet and phone. only about £10 got robbed, but my new Sony Ericsson k800i got robbed. Grrrrrrrr.

Everythings got cancelled, the IMEI number of my phone will be blocked so hopefully the the muther crummer who robbed me wont profit much from it. And i'm insured as well. But its still an arse. I dont think he was that tough either- he pretended he had a knife, but he never showed it, i made him wait by saying i didnt understand what he was talking about, plus i made him give my SIM card to me. I reckoned if i put up a bit of resistance i could have pushed him off (done it once before) but I was a bit pissed and I didnt fancy taking my chances for the sake of an insured phone and £10 cash. Thinking about it now i dont think he was that threatening.

Ideally he'll end up in prison and get bum-raped.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

What more could happen?

I dunno, gout? You could get gout.

Sucks about getting mugged though.

3. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Sorry man. (I also know how you feel about the bike, mine was stolen 2 weeks ago)

About a month ago I was riding my bike and some guy told me to give him the bike or "I'll f***ing kill you"... I told him to f**k off and I rode away VERY fast (probably had a gun).... I hate thiefs.:mad:

4. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Some kid near my school got stabbed last night because he put up a fight when getting mugged. He's ok, I guess, but you know. I just give 'em what they want, and deal with the problems later. Not worth getting killed over a phone.

5. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

unless its the iPhone...

naw just kiddin. That really sucks. Sounds like you're a target or something. Buy a gun or at least a fake, make'em scared.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You americans and your guns.... :rolleyes:

Prety sure it's illegal to carry a firearm or even a fake in the UK - certainly is here.

8. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

can't even get a license or such? Thinking bout moving to the UK when I get outa school, but I'd have to learn all the laws and such.
    did i just use the word such twice so close together

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Don't know about the UK but I would think it's pretty similar to here. Carrying a gun or even owning a gun is frowned upon and heavily, heavily legislated. It's certainly illegal here to carry a gun of any sorts unless you're a cop or someone similarly trained etc. Security guards don't carry guns.

I've only ever seen a gun in public on cops, nobody I know apart from farmers (and those are rifles and kept as legislated in locked cabinets with ammo and weapon stored separately) owns a gun.

They're just not used here. No real point owning a gun unless you're a farmer or a hunter and then you don't really need a handgun do you? You certainly don't need to be walking around with a rifle.

10. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

well I just have been watching to many movies.

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You did the right thing. Taking a chance that he didn't have a knife and would turn tail wasn't worth the risk. I hope anger about it won't linger.

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I know a guy who got mugged on a totally empty street in new york city at 4am. The mugger grabbed the guy's arm, threatened him and asked for his money, unfortunately for him, he had no idea that the guy he was mugging was a really jacked wrestler. He punched the mugger in the side of the head, twisted him over his arm to the ground, kicked him in the face and ran down the street. The mugger didn't follow him.

Not that I'd recommend trying that. :p

13. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I have experienced a few attempts at mugging;
    how fried in the skull does a person have to be to try to mug a person wearing army field uniform with a 8 inch knife right on the harness? < twice happened, both times the guy reconsidered and walked away, fast...
    Another time I told the guy to learn how to hold the knife properly... he walked away too...
    I seem to have more of a problem with pickpockets than muggers.

however my mother seems to be a mugger magnet to the point where she does not carry her real wallet, keys (and now a cell phone) in her purse/hangbag anymore. Three times in the last 6 months. And she lives and works in a low crime area of the city. Her tactic is to take her purse and dumb the contents on the ground then run away. works.

14. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Has she considered pepper spray or mace? Or maybe one of those personal alarms? Something that she could defend herself with.

15. sethypoo macrumors 68000

If you decide to use pepper spray or mace, practice with it before toting it around. The last thing you want is to need to use it and not know how to work the thing. Also, remember to point it in the right direction! :eek: :)

16. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

I think that was a brave move, and a very apt response. I bet he wasn't expecting that. And then you had it stolen a couple of weeks later? Man, some people really are c***s. I despair, sometimes. :(

17. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Geez, reading this thread I feel really, really lucky and blessed.

I've never been mugged, attacked, or assaulted in any way. I have never had anything of large monetary value stolen, and I have never been in a car wreck. Guardian angels, perhaps?

The only thing that was ever stolen I'm not even sure was stolen at all; my favorite t-shirt (an Incubus one) suddenly went missing at some point while I was at UC Davis. I think it got pilfered while doing laundry.

18. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

19. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

How scary are they!?

20. dcv macrumors G3

Ugh, really sorry to hear that geese, but glad that you escaped unharmed.

21. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Whereabouts in London are you??

I've lived in many places in London, and I've actually felt quite safe. Safer than I ever felt walking about on my own at night back where I used to live (a typical suburban place full of bored teenagers). Just goes to prove that if you're unlucky to come across a psyco, thats all you need.

22. geese thread starter macrumors 6502a

geese

It happened in an underpass in Leytonstone.

Not angry about it- just rather annoyed. If i had my wits about me i could have outsmarted him as I saw him get off the night bus with me and realising he was following me. I should have gone to the near-by petrol station and hung around there. if he mugged me he would have been at least caught on CCTV.

I DID take the Sim card out of my phone before i give it to him, I made him wait. So thats a minor victory.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You can get a gun license. My friends dad has a shotgun and goes out shooting clay pigeons from time to time. The gun has to be kept in a safe/locked area in your house. If you're caught carrying it in the street you're going to be f***ed yourself!

Sorry to hear about your mugging :(
    I almost got mugged in Manchester once. Funny thing is it was only 10am. Took a shortcut through Canal Street to get to Manchester Met, ended up having this 3 guys walking up to me and asking if they could listen to my iPod. I just said "oi, I get this. no ****ing way you're getting my iPod I'm not buying another one" and one guy said "c'mon lets go". Though they were much bigger than me just standing up to them made me less of an easy target.

24. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

when i was around 17 years old i got mugged a few times. i always gave those piss-heads what they wanted. not worth getting stabbed because of a freakin' walkman or some ca$h.

25. Queso macrumors G4

I found the line "Do I look like a victim? Do yourself a favour and F**k off!" worked the one time two little sods tried that with me. Say it forthrightly and menacingly whilst pulling yourself up to full height, and back it up with "I'm giving you nothing. Now f**k off!" in the same tone of voice They rely on you being scared. Show them you're not, but don't actually make any moves towards them. Otherwise they may panic and actually stab you (not good).

Sorry to hear about that though. London sucks sometimes. :mad: