Just got my 12" iBook!!! and a few questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by chelseasian, Aug 9, 2005.

1. chelseasian macrumors regular

chelseasian

I finally went to the Apple store in SoHo this evening and after spending 1/2 hour debating between the 12" and 14' i finally decided that the 12" would be better for me- since i am using it mostly light stuff- i.e. emails, web surfing and iPhoto and I have a G5 at home to do the heavy stuff.

Anyway, just wondering if it is difficult to upgrade the hard drive- i am thinking of upping it to 80GB and a 5400 rpm HD. iBook comes with 4200 rpm
    :( which sucks IMHO.

Thanks guys... you're swell

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Congratulations.

The HD is not easy to change (edit: and you'll void your warranty if you do it yourself and harm something in the process, I think). Your best bet is to get it changed at an Apple Support/Tech centre. It shouldn't cost more than half an hour of labour, an hour tops. Maybe they even throw in the labour if you buy the HD from them (at a premium, of course). No harm in asking... ;)

Why not go for a 120 GB @ 7200...? :cool:

3. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

4. JonMaker macrumors regular

Remember: faster drives eat more power and give off more heat... Just FYI.

5. persianpunisher macrumors regular

is the speed noticable between the 4200 rpm and the 5400 rpm?

6. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

oh yeah, there's a link to a site that did a test but I don't have the link. I do recall though that it was very noticeable.

Jack

7. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

No! This is largely untrue. Faster drives are largely more energy efficient because they are the newest models. There is next to no difference in the power consumptions on the newer drives compared to old 4200RPM drives.

And yes, there is a huge improvement. I think Anandtech did some reviews on the 7200RPM drives in the PB. The performance gain to 5400RPM is very large. To 7200RPM from 5400RPM is less large. I think if you google, you should be able to find some benchmarks.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Ah, but I wouldn't go with the 7200rpm drive, yes it sounds faster but the iBook doesn't have a controller for dealing with drives of that speed, 5400rpm should be the fastest you put in an iBook, yes it'll work but you won't see any difference in speed.

PowerBooks can handle a 7200rpm drive.

9. Project macrumors 68020

If somebody was to get a faster external hard drive, would that be adequate? I dont want to go to the trouble and risk in changing the inbuilt 4200 drive.

10. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

depending on interface and drive type, it sometimes doesn't make a difference. i have a 10,500rpm drive running on a FireWire 800 port. it's quicker than a squirrel after a vindaloo. if you get a stock external drive look carefully at the specs - it may not be up to the job.

remember - FIREWIRE! if you get USB2 you may have a few problems, for example USB2 can't cope with scratch drive use in FCP. put a full DV file on one, even 500mb and it falls apart, because of the bus.