Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thenewguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
It arrived a day early, which certainly made me smile.

A few questions though:

*Whine. When the computer has been asleep for a while and I wake it up (or if I turn it on fresh) there is a very high pitched whine emanating from the MBP for between 30 seconds and 3 minutes. It's an odd frequency. If you move your head around the volume gets louder or softer. I thought they fixed this on the new machines. what should I do?

*When closed, the left side of the screen is not totally flush with the base, but the right side is. is this something to worry about?

*External monitor. I've gotten the two monitors to work together, but I can't get the computer to work i "closed book" mode. how is this done? With the monitor connected, whenever I close the lid the whole thing goes to sleep.

I'm sure ill have more questions in a bit. Thanks!

thenewguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
I'm also having trouble with my external HDD. I have it plugged in via FW400 and when the computer reboots it often doesn't see the drive, and then unplugging it and plugging it back in doesn't make it appear...

eh?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The three MacBook Pros I used didn't close evenly. One side was always more flush than the other.

To use an external monitor, you'll need to have an external keyboard or mouse hooked up, as well as the AC power.

kgarchar

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2006
Actually, you don't need a mouse hooked up. What you can do is close the MacBook Pro, and hook up the external, then grab that nifty apple remote and hit some buttons. Give it a second to turn on, then just open back up the lid to use the keyboard and trackpad. Otherwise just get a KB and Mouse and click once or twice and it should wake up.

thenewguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
The three MacBook Pros I used didn't close evenly. One side was always more flush than the other.

To use an external monitor, you'll need to have an external keyboard or mouse hooked up, as well as the AC power.

I know - I have it working. my question was about the closed book mode, if I wanted to JUST use the ext.monitor and close the notebook.

But the BIG worry here is the whine - what should I do about it?

xiaoyu04

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2006
Merced, CA
i thought the whine was supposed to be fixed? does it stay on or does it go away? does it only happen after you wake it up from sleep?

thenewguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
i thought the whine was supposed to be fixed? does it stay on or does it go away? does it only happen after you wake it up from sleep?

The whine persists for anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes. It *Seems* to get weaker as it goes on, and then it all of a sudden stops. Its not loud, but I can definitely hear it. It happens when the computer is turned on or awoken if it has been sleeping for more than 10 minutes or so.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Mine doesnt whine and my display is flushed. Hmmm maybe you have a lemon

shadowx

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ
The whine persists for anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes. It *Seems* to get weaker as it goes on, and then it all of a sudden stops. Its not loud, but I can definitely hear it. It happens when the computer is turned on or awoken if it has been sleeping for more than 10 minutes or so.

Mine does something similar... I believe it is actually caused by a little vibration somewhere in the notebook when the right fan speeds up... I do not think it is the processor whine. It's not loud - I can't even hear it unless the room is dead silent... someone with less than perfect ears would not hear it... for example, my parents can't hear it.

thenewguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Mine does something similar... I believe it is actually caused by a little vibration somewhere in the notebook when the right fan speeds up... I do not think it is the processor whine. It's not loud - I can't even hear it unless the room is dead silent... someone with less than perfect ears would not hear it... for example, my parents can't hear it.

I think that has more to do with the fequency. As you grow older you lose your high frequency hearing, so I can understand why your parents can't pick it up.

It may have to do with a fan, I'll have to see if that is related next time I test it.

GraceMolloy

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
Kentucky
mine's very quiet (Unless gaming when the fans are going full steam). Dvd drive isn't obnoxiously loud either. And no significant Gaps to speak of (lid's "pretty" flush). It runs like a dream.

bxlewi1

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2006
No whine here, just some warm up creaks

I don't have any whine from the laptop, only a few intermittant plastic creaks when it starts warming up (do you get those?) The right side of the screen is a bit higher than the left (the powerbook was the same way.) You can get it evened out by getting a wrist rest protector like Marware sells. Then it's flush when closed. Aside from the warmup creaks, it's a freaky fast, well built system.

thenewguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
my whine is really noticeable. Sigh, what a way to switch.

I'll call them to replace it. I wonder if I can get a thing where they send out a new one and I ship back the old one once i recieve it.

Majost

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2006
*Whine. .... If you move your head around the volume gets louder or softer....

That's a telltale sign of a standing wave. I'd be curious to know if you can hear it outdoors or in a much larger room. It could be really quiet, but due to the acoustics of your room, the wave gets into a positive feedback loop and becomes audible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.