Just got my Dell 2407WFP Today

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Neonguy, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Neonguy macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2006
    Well, it isn't as hideous like some people claim it is. I actually like the black bazel because watching movie is nice. So far absolutely love this display. Not a problem I had with the 23 ACD.

- Pure Black, no backlight bleed
    - 0 Dead Pixels
    - Solid Colors, Gray, Dark Gray, White, etc.

Just 1 problem though, I don't even know if it's a problem since LCD tend to be like this. During game play such as Quake 4, Doom 3, etc. I get a little bit of streaking and kind of jaggy edges. Is this normal? I wish I have the 23 ACD to try it out to compare, but it's too late. Someone with 23 ACD tell me is this normal? Even better if someone have the Dell 2407WFP let me know.

I'm feeling kinda sick now, I have a lot of bad luck lately.
  2. cc bcc macrumors 6502

Jul 3, 2001
    I have the same artefacts on my 2405 Dell, I hoped they had fixed it by now. I didn't have that problem with my former 20" plastic bezel ACD. I think it's a byproduct from artificial response time enhancements. It seems to be switching to black or white first before drawing new pixels, at least that's what I make of it. It only happens in games, or that's the only place where I noticed it. If someone knows more, please respond. :)
  3. Neonguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2006
    It's only happend in Gameplay. Well it does have a light green trail when you drag a window over a light background really fast. Mine is Rev03. Should I exchange mine, mine look like it defect?
  4. Neonguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2006
    Wow, I just try the same game on Windows side Quake 4 and it look amazing! It run flawlessly. No inputs lag, no jaggy edges, no ghosting of any kind. It's weired that I experimence jaggy edges on the Mac side. Have anyone try this with their 23 ACD? I could think maybe the DELL monitor was especially made for Windows? Or the Mac Side is not suitable for Gaming.

Starting to like th is monitor better now :D
  5. akadmon macrumors 68010

Aug 30, 2006
    New England
    What type of Mac do you have it connected to? Have you tried switching to portrait mode?
  6. Neonguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2006
    Connect to the Mac Pro. Portraits mode is really easy. On Display you just click the Rotate 90 then swivel the Dell monitor.

I don't think there is perfect LCD out there, this one if I drag a window really fast over bright background like white, I will see very light green trail but dissappear. Not a problem since it doesn't interfere with my daily use. I'm a lot more happy with this one then my 3 return with the Apple 23 LCD. I talk to Dell and they alway do qaulity inspect on their monitor before ship out. So you get no dead pixels. What make me really happy is the solid black uniform color, no backlight bleed. And solid color is solid throughout the whole screen like the gray and dark gray.

Sure uglier then Apple, just a little bit. Just my best $700 purchase. Wish Apple could do the same. I should take some picture to just to show that if you get Rev 03, the qaulity is really nice for an LCD!
  7. gloss macrumors 601

May 9, 2006
    Dell does make a nice monitor. I bought a 2007WFP a few months back and have been eminently happy with it. Sure, if I had the money I'd go for an ACD, but the new batch of Dells is really the next best thing.
  8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Neonguy is talking about tearing,occurs when V sync is out os sync usually when playing FPS and moving quickly. Its more a function of GPU & Display talking with each other. Its Normal, you may enable V sync in your games at a FPS loss or get a card that can draw faster then the Displays hertz frames refresh rate.
  9. sblasl macrumors 6502a

Apr 25, 2004
    Heber Springs, AR
    Some higher end display manufacturers use technology to help compensate. Eizo calls this "Fast Response Time", To ensure that movies, animation and other moving images look clean and sharp with an absolute minimum of blurring and ghosting, they use an overdrive circuit that is included for a midtone response time of only 8 ms.
  10. darkwing macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    I hope you're aware you just bought an 18-bit color LCD panel. The 2405s are 24 bit color. Supposedly the 2407 did this to get a faster response time for gamers.

You will notice some dithering and less than accurate color reproduction.

I love my 2405 at home and work. ;)
  11. aneks macrumors regular

Aug 29, 2006
    Yeah a lot of noise was made about this on forums. I went out and tracked down a 2405 specifically because I use mine for graphics. I sit at an absolute top-of-the-line $3k sony LCD at work all day (on a Flame system) and I like my $1k dell a hell of a lot better !
  12. Neonguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2006
    Yes this is what exactly I'm talking about. It only happend playing 3D Games on the Mac side. I try turning Vertical Sync on and it doesn't help. It think it may have to do with no ATI Driver for the Mac. It run perfectly fine when I boot into Windows via Bootcamp. I'm using the ATI X1900 XT so I don't think the graphic card is having problem re-drawing.
  13. Neonguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2006

Dell show the Dell 24WFP have 16.7 Millions colors. Colors actually look really good. Apple is a little better of course no doubt, but definitely wasn't for Graphic Professional eithor. Solid gray isn't solid, solid black isn't solid black, got a little pink hue going on as well. However I not yet to find this on the Dell one.