Just got my DS Lite. Gorgeous.

Discussion in 'Games' started by srobert, Apr 13, 2006.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Hey guys. I've just received my DS Lite and wanted to share my first hand impressions with you.

I liked my DS very much but had some issues with it:

- Screen not bright enough
    - Screen viewing angle too narrow
    - Difficult to adjust sound level at lower settings
    - Some static in the sound output at lower settings
    - A little too big and heavy
    - Stylus too small to hold comfortably (gave me cramps)
    - Very badly positioned power button (Lost many games trying to pause the action ^_^)

I'm glad to announce that all these problems have been crossed off my list. The DS Lite is simply gorgeous and the new screen makes for a whole new gaming experience. It's so bright it'll probably give me a nice tan in time for summer.

By the way. They are now in stock at the usual imports online stores. (Gotta pay a little premium)

2. Dandaman macrumors 6502

Can you get any pictures of the little guy? Also, when are they due to hit stores in the US?

daniel

3. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

I'll take some pictures over the weekend. Any special requests?

North America availability hasn't been officially announced yet by Nintendo. Some "insider" rumors said that it would probably be shipping to US on May 15, at the same time as New Super Mario Bros DS game. (If they stop changing the date). Take it with a grain of salt.

4. Dandaman macrumors 6502

No special request. Just want to get a better feel of what it looks like.

I was thinking of getting an original DS, but now, I may hold out for the DS Lite.

daniel

5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Congrats! I'm pretty sure that since I find the DS a bit SMALL for my hands that I will be hanging onto it for the foreseeable future. The tiny stylus kills me, too... I have to remember to order a "full sized" pen/stylus combo. I need a good new pen, anyways.

6. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

congratulations !

I want to get a DS to play the 'complimentary' copy of Brain Age I picked up at the Game Developers Conference... I hope we (my Brain and I) won't have to wait for too long until the DS Lite comes out in the US :)

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

My only complaint has been the volume control. And I also have a stuck pixel (blue), but I think I'm too damn lazy to get that fixed.

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

U suck man:p ...yes yes please post pics to make u suck even more;)

Bless

9. lem0n macrumors regular

lem0n

ooooh... I'm waiting for mine too... :D Got a Crystal White one and got it only a tad bit earlier from those eBay guys than when it's back in stock in the import stores but at not that much of a difference... I can't wait.. so excited, I already got some games delivered by Amazon and no DS Lite to play it with TT_TT how sad... Stupid boyfriend is a PSP fan, he is constantly complaining "why did you get a DS, get a PSP..." but the DS Lite is even prettier than the PSP Ceramic White now :p And all the good games coming out... can't wait :D

... Can you take a picture of the stylus compare to the old stylus if you have one???

10. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Will do. I'll post some pics on Sathurday.

11. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

12. lem0n macrumors regular

lem0n

oh yeah, and how much are the games in Canada? So I'll know if I should buy games when I'm back there this summer, games in Europe are so overpriced, 45 EUR for a game? that's 90 CND :mad: what a rip off... [so are Macs and any other electronic things]

13. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Thats cool. I was just giving a heads up to the people asking for pics.

So, where did you order yours from and for how much? :)

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No it isnt. 45 Euro is 62 Can $. Still too expensive, but still $30 less than your making out :rolleyes:

15. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Places in Europe tend to have a lot higher tax percentages, which explains the higher prices.

16. lem0n macrumors regular

lem0n

but you know, when you are used to one currency you haven't help but trying to convert everything ;) huh, isn't EUR twice CND, maybe my mother said so so I would not spend so much :rolleyes: wow, that guy who reviewed the DS Lite is funny with the Fruit Loops/confetti thing :D To the OP, what colour did you get??

17. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

I got it from LikSang… for way too much. :eek: ($200) It's worth every penny. It's going to be consderably cheaper when released states side. An estimated $145-150 when comparing Japanese price for DS Lite and Fat.

We usually get pretty decent prices for games in Canada. We're on par with US prices I think. I paid $45 (CAD) for Metroid Prime Hunters. We do have the lowest worldwide prices for iTunes song though. ;)

I went for the white one. It goes so well with the rest of the Apple hardware. ^_^ The NAvy blue looks classy though and would have been my second choice.

18. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Given the choice, I would go for the white one too. Hope you enjoy giving your new DS Lite to me. :)

19. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Nice try :p Subliminal messages don't work on me. (Except for candy bars ads.)

20. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

any pics of it man?

edit: I only i guess had to read 2 posts down from the original thread starter to see other requests. *inserting foot in mouth*

21. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah, gimme pics!

Those DS Lites sure do look purdy. But I already have a DS, so I couldn't justify a purchase of a DS Lite.

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's nice. Hope it's good. At least, putting the buttons in different locations might stop my problem with accidentally pausing but I'll live with my ever so huge DS. :p

23. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

I'll make sure to post some pics over the weekend.

By the way, there is a bunch of DS Lite accessories being listed with an ETA of June 1st on EB Games' site. do they know something we don't?

Speculation. Thou will be the death of me

24. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Awww :p It was worth a try! ;)