Just got my first Holga Camera

Discussion in 'Community' started by Peyote, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

I've never taken a photography class, but being a designer, I guess I have a natural ability of some sort, as I always seem to do well with photography.

I had been interested in the Holga for quite some time, and just got my first one the other day...I have already started shooting some stuff and can't wait to see how they turn out.

I taped it all up for now, but before my next roll would like to use possibly foam or something to seal the camera to prevent light leaks...has anyone else done this? Seems much more convenient than taping and retaping.

I'm using the 6x4.5 format film the camera came with, but would like to switch to 6x6...it's just a shame that you only get 12 exposures that way.

Here's a question for anyone in the know about these cameras...mine came with a flash...when you press the shutter lever it takes the picture, but if you hold it down, then release it, the flash goes off again. What's with that? Also, when you hold down the shutter release, are you controlling the exposure time? It feels like you are, but I've read that the exposure time is not adjustable without modifications.

Any tips for successful Holga shooting would be appreciated!

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmm... my dad's a Holga fanatic. I'll email your questions to him and see what he thinks tonight.

He likes the light leaks. I thought that was part of the Holga appeal.

3. Peyote thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Thanks...

I like *some* light leaks, which is why I like the idea of foam...it can be added and removed in places very precisely to find different effects. But I do prefer the higher contrast Holga shots, so more than likely, I'll just end up with it mostly sealed

Here's another question....I thought there was 6x4.5 film and 6x6 film. But I cna't find any 120 film that states it is either. Does all 120 film work as either format, and it just depends on the format your camera is set up for?

4. PBGPowerbook macrumors regular

yes, 120 film is all 6cm tall, the camera dictates the frame width—whether it exposes frames of 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, etc. There's a Fuji camera (and probably others) that expose 6x17cm on 120 film.

5. Peyote thread starter macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Good to hear, thanks!

I just ordered three rolls of Kodak Tmax 400 B&W film.

I took some shots yesterday....if anything interesting comes out of it, I'll post em

6. Lau Guest

Holgas rock. Experiment with the light leaks, and see what effects you like. I'm off on holiday tomorrow, and am only taking a Lomo type camera. I feel like being a bit different and I figure all the touristy shots will have already been taken.

Oh, and have a look at my portfolio below. The long panoramic shot was taken as a continuous strip through a Holga. (Click on the 3rd staple from the right).