Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spoiled

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Just got my 2012 iMac 27" with 1TB FD.

1. If I ****** something up, is there a way to get it back to factory settings? How?

2. If I wanna buy Pro Tools, how do I install it since it comes on a CD?

3. I upgraded the RAM myself, how much can I sell the two 4 GB RAMs that came with the machine for? Or should I just bin them?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

1. If I ****** something up, is there a way to get it back to factory settings? How?
OS X: About OS X Recovery
How to Clean Install OS X Mountain Lion
Apple - OS X Recovery restores your Mac with a few clicks.
Hands on with Mountain Lion's OS X Recovery and Internet Recovery
Users of Macs without optical drives can either buy an Apple USB SuperDrive (or other optical drive) or use DVD or CD sharing: Using Remote Disc when they need access to an optical drive. There are some limitations on using Remote Disc (read the link for details).
3. I upgraded the RAM myself, how much can I sell the two 8 GB RAMs that came with the machine for? Or should I just bin them?
I recommend you keep them, in case you run into problems with your new RAM, or if you need to take your iMac in for service.

This may be useful:

bhadrakalpa

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013

I had the same trouble, my protools 8.0 LE disc was defect factory one and now, the marvelous compagny name AVID ask us 39$ to send a request about anything. Worst support service ever see ! I did found files on net and use my CD Key, so, you can do the same instead burning 80$ in optical drive :D

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

3. I upgraded the RAM myself, how much can I sell the two 4 GB RAMs that came with the machine for? Or should I just bin them?

1. But yourself an external USB drive and use the built in Time Machine to backup to the external. You can use this to completely restore, including all your data.

2. You will need to buy an external, USB optical drive. Apple sells one, but most others will also work.

3. There really is not much market for 4GB RAM any more. You would be lucky to get $20 on eBay for it. I would just keep it in a drawer as backup in case your replacement RAM fails.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
Should the OP decide to sell the 2 4GB of RAM sticks will these not fit in any 13' MBP that are currently sold with only 2 x 2GB?
In that case you could find someone else eager to buy your brand new apple original memory. Not sure still how much it could sell but I take that should be more than 20 bucks. Maybe I am totally wrong so do not take my proposal for granted.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Should the OP decide to sell the 2 4GB of RAM sticks will these not fit in any 13' MBP that are currently sold with only 2 x 2GB?
In that case you could find someone else eager to buy your brand new apple original memory. Not sure still how much it could sell but I take that should be more than 20 bucks. Maybe I am totally wrong so do not take my proposal for granted.

You are correct. I misread it as him having 4GB total (2X2GB). There would be a market for 2X4GB.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
Happy Days then, I was considering selling mine if I decide to upgrade 16GB a and that could have helped a little to pay for the upgrade!

Spoiled

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Thanks for all the replies. One more question: Which OS is running on my brand new iMac? Mountain Lion? Can't find that info anywhere...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for all the replies. One more question: Which OS is running on my brand new iMac? Mountain Lion? Can't find that info anywhere...
On the Menu Bar at the top of your screen, on the left side, click:
 > About This Mac

Yes, it's running Mountain Lion.

Spoiled

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
On the Menu Bar at the top of your screen, on the left side, click:
 > About This Mac

Yes, it's running Mountain Lion.
I can't seem to find the words "mountain lion" anywhere, it just says OS X and som number. :confused:

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
another option for question #1 would be to download either carbon copy or superduper (i use because it's free) and make a copy of your internal harddrive to a external drive...then if you even screw up,just hold down "option" key and pick booting from external drive... then once booted,simply open super duper and copy external harddrive back to internal harddrive and reboot.

The advantage with above method...about 15 min to recovery vs hours (depending on internet speed)..i made my superduper copy of internal drive with all the programs/setting i like...makes recovery so easy!

SuperDuper

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
another option for question #1 would be to download either carbon copy or superduper (i use because it's free) and make a copy of your internal harddrive to a external drive...then if you even screw up,just hold down "option" key and pick booting from external drive... then once booted,simply open super duper and copy external harddrive back to internal harddrive and reboot.

The advantage with above method...about 15 min to recovery vs hours (depending on internet speed)..i made my superduper copy of internal drive with all the programs/setting i like...makes recovery so easy!

SuperDuper

Since Lion 10.7.2, you can boot to a Time Machine disk and do a full restore without downloading anything from the Internet. The SD and CCC method does have the advantage of being able to actually use the computer while it is booted from the clone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.