just got my ibook

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by xg3, Oct 25, 2004.

1. xg3 macrumors newbie

Oct 19, 2004
    new ibook, 30GB hd, nad i slapped in a another 256mb of ram before i turn it on the first time.
    After 3 buisenss day, it got here!! i love the interface of the os after using windows for long, is very efficient. my ques is.. if i slap in a 512mb stick (total of 726) be more noticable difference? smoother? or 1 GB of ram?
  2. cluthz macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004
    If you are using it for browsing, writing and a little bit of gaming it won't make much of a difference. If you are videoediting, using garageband, photoshop or runs many apps at once, you'll notice a substantial difference.
    (btw, 256+512=768 :p )

Congrats with your new mac !
  3. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2004
    Daddy said not to talk to strangers
    Congrats on your new laptop.

Here is what i have to say to you:

What will you be doing with our laptop? gaming? video editing? garageband? if you so you got the wrong laptop, the PowerBook is better at handling that. On the other hand if you are going to use it for word, browse the web and other odd stuff then its fine. By the way the only major problem you would have is with gaming, add just a bit or RAM if your going to video and music edit.

If you have any questions you can PM me or post here.
  4. veedubdrew macrumors regular

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I would disagree with this poster. I did video editing in Final Cut and GarageBand on an 800MHz iMac G4 for quite some time. A 1.2GHz G4 with faster memory and a 33% faster bus than my old iMac should be a great little machine! Enjoy your new computer!

5. spaceballl macrumors 68030

Nov 2, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    I can't wait to get my iBook 12"/1.2ghz/768/80gb/BT in the near future. It has already been ordered...
  6. cygnusgirl macrumors newbie

Oct 27, 2004
    Youngstown, OH
    i just got my 12 in ibook g4 a couple of days ago and i love it! i got and additional 256 to make it 512, i dont think you need more than that unless you're doing some heavy duty gaming, video editing, that sort of stuff like the other posts said. just wanted to say i'm very happy with it, i almost paid another $600 some dollars for a powerbook, but i'm glad i didn't cuz i'm perfectly satisfied with my ibook. plus i love the white case a lot better than the silvery brushed metal sorta case on the powerbook. my old pc had a case just like that and it scratched really easy.
  7. Studawg7 macrumors regular

May 15, 2004
    Cville, VA
  8. xg3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 19, 2004
    i do alot of graphic design for webpages and java programming. i have tried 512mb and 728mb so far on this ibook and is a hell better than factory 256mb haha. but anyhow i am going to slap 1 GB of ram on this making it 1.2GB of ram. since this laptop will be with me for quite sometimes and i dun want to spend $$$ in the future and discard this ram.
  9. xg3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 19, 2004
    oh yah.. forgot to mention.. my first mac. and here my new moral.. no PC again hahaa. OS x is way way way way superior in term of productivity. the interface is just amazing.