Just got my iMac!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by bpd115, Feb 9, 2003.

1. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

Just went to the apple store in king of prussia saturday (hour and a half drive) and picked up my brand spakin new 1ghz iMac (base 17 inch model) with .mac and a pack of DVD-Rs...I am impressed!

The thing that instantly stood out for me was the sharpness of the apple displays...WOW....OS X is fluid (just really getting the hang of things)...the only thing I notice this machine is "slow" on is rendering things in iMovie 3. Other than that things load quick and it is very snappy. I am going to purchase a 512 sodimm soon (they didn't have any in stock at the apple store)...

I am impressed how nice the machine plays with the rest of my windows network...
    the only thing I have yet to figure out is.....

How can I get it to print to my canon i550 attached to my XP machine?

2. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Personaly I find that 640 megs Is BARE minimum for doing anything in iMovie, but keep in mind that encoding on a new duel proc powermac is still relatively slow.
    Mabie when we have a Power Mac with twin 5ghz ibm 970's under the hood it will feel fast. But for now be happy that you can do it at all, because 5 years ago this was all a dream.

As for your printer problem, I have no idea. In my office we network 12 macs, but no pc's. I would fire then marter any of my employees that even discussed bringing a pc into our office. (sorry for the rant)
    But anyway I am shure their is a way to use that printer but I'll be damned if I know how to do it.

3. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Here

Drivers for Canon i550
    Canon Driver Page

Read this here to print to Windows from OS X.
    Macosxhints.com

To add a windows printer, hold the "alt" (option) key and click the add printer button from print center. Print Center is locate in the
    /Applications/Utilities folder.

You may also want to try installing Gimp Print and Ghost Script.
    Gimp Print

Hope that helps

4. bpd115 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bpd115

Thanks for the ideas. I seem to be running into problems with the terminal part of it. I enabled root but I can't get the commands down exactly to enable it on CUPS...whatever that means :p

5. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Did you login as root?

Try logging in as root when doing the terminal commands. Use the sudo command, or just type login, and then type root, and then the password.

Or just download the newest version of CUPS (Gimp Print) Gimp Print 4.2.5

In the disk image, it has instructions on how to enable to Windows Printing, just read the included FAQ.html

Installing Gimp Print Seems easiest to me...

6. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Forgot

If your installing Gimp Print, make sure to install ESP Ghostscript First Here

7. bpd115 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bpd115

Thanks I'm going to try it out now....

The one thing I can't get used to in Mac OS is having a web browser window NOT take up the full screen...

Other than that I'm loving it..made my first slideshow DVD today......just ordered a 512 sodimm from crucial :D

8. dricci macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'm not sure why that stuck around on the Windows side. If something is taking over the full screen, it makes it more difficult to multitask.

But on Windows I noticed a lot of things just don't look rght if you don't have their window maximized to the full screen size. Better add that to my "reasons I will never switch back" list :cool:

9. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Use Chimera:cool:
    Or Safari (Stretch the window to full size, and leave it, after a while, it will stay full screen.)

10. 3777 macrumors 6502

Just click the + button.......then your browser will be full screen. I remember how much I liked my iMac DV when it arrived, still use it a lot, but switched back to PC as primary system last year...... I will be getting a 17 inch LCD iMac & and 12" G4 Powerbook when they bump the GHZ up a little more though....:D

11. iWantAMac macrumors 6502

bpd115,

Congratulations on purchasing your (first?) Mac!

12. bpd115 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bpd115