Just got my Mac Book Pro 17"... already problems?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jackmack, Jun 25, 2006.

1. jackmack macrumors regular

Jun 9, 2006
    So, I don't know if I'm being overly anal, since I spent as much as I did on it, so I thought I'd see what you guys think.

First off, screen is great... except for the bottom left and right corners, they seem to be just a bit dark... is this normal? (its like the very tip of the corner).

Second off, when I close the lid, it holds fine, but after a few seconds, you hear a small "pop" and the right side lifts up a bit... like its not holding on. The lid still holds, but it seems like the right side isn't holding, maybe?

So, am I being anal? or is htis normal?
  2. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2005
    I'm pretty sure everything is fine. Screens vary from person to person, so some may look a bit better than others in the regard of dark corners, dead pixels, etc.

As far as the popping sound, I say just ignore it, if the clips work and your screen stays shut you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
  3. kevin.rivers macrumors 6502a

Dec 4, 2005
    Have it looked at if these problems bother you. No sense in spending money and not being happy with it.
  4. 17luv macrumors member

May 15, 2006
    Guess that depends on what you are willing to live with :) I have a 17" that I love. My right and left corners aren't black but they are slightly grayish triangles that I just assumed was designed that way. (Not sure if that is how yours are, it isn't distracting at all though) As for the closing mine never pops that I have ever seen. Why not write out a list of concerns you have, check out a 17" in store at Apple or a reseller and see if it/they do the same/look the same. If you have an Apple store nearby why not make an appointment if you still have questions. Good luck with your mbp!!
  5. jackmack thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 9, 2006
    yes, grey triangles =)

Must be how its built...they aren't distracting at all, I was just curious.

My main concern is the latch... I'll have them check it out in store.

Like I siad, it still holds the lid, but i dont know if its putting extra stress on the left latch.
  6. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    The slight darkening in the corners is, I believe, a limitation of the technology, and I'm not sure you won't see something similar on any current-generation thin 17" laptop--the backlighting just doesn't have enough "space" to evenly illuminate the screen from edge to edge from any angle. Might be something that Apple designed in as a compromise between thickness/weight/power/whatever, but I've seen the same or similar on most laptop screens (and even less-expensive desktop LCDs).

You will probably notice that they're less noticible or go away completely if you move your head down and look directly at them, but to be honest it's essentially unnoticible on mine if I'm not actually looking for it.

As for the latch thing, you might as well have it looked at, but I've noticed mine does exactly the same thing. I'm not sure if it's a design flaw that the right latch isn't quite catching solidly enough, if it's just a noise and nothing at all, or if it's a manufacturing issue that will eventually cause premature failure of the left latch, but in any case it hasn't caused me any problem and I doubt I'll ever get it checked unless something actually breaks.
  7. silver05dragon macrumors newbie

Jul 28, 2008
    Design Flaw

There is a design flaw with some of the MacBook Pro latches. I've had my brand new 15" MacBook Pro for about 4 weeks, and the latch stopped working. I called Apple and they said that because it was a design flaw, they would replace the casing for free being that my computer is brand new and under warranty. If you look at the right latch under the touch pad you may be able to see a tiny hair line crack in the aluminum casing. This is a tell tale sign of the design flaw. If you take it to an Apple store they should be able to fix it for free right there.