Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
wxboss said:
Ghostface, I'm jealous :) ! The MBPs are awesome machines!

I have the base, 1.83 MB, but it's still a fast machine (those Core Duos really impress me)! I love pulling up the Acitivity Monitor and seeing two graphs for the CPU.

If I had some more cash, I would have gone for the MBP. I'm glad you enjoy it :D
Just figured out that if you double click on that graph it opens in a separate larger window. Then click on the green plus and it will go full screen!

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 118

ArchiMac

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
It's great to hear positive posts in this thread.
Since I've just paid the deposit on a 17MBP and am still a few days off delivery, you could understand how jittery I get reading some of the other threads!
I feel a ton better!

Could anyone answer this question: would a 2.16ghz Duo intel-mac run Adobe CS1/2 applications as fast and stable as my 1ghz G4 iMac? Even with the vast difference in processor power?
Logic would say yes, but there is the emulation layer to think about.
Thanks for any replies,

afx117

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2006
5 More Days

I was nervous about some of the rumors but now I feel much better, I've been inseparable from my 1GHz 17" PB, I just ordered the MBP 17" and I'm getting it on Friday, FULLY LOADED BABY!!!!

Curious to see what the Glossy Screen looks like.

Thanks for all the posts!!:D

FragTek

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
afx117 said:
I was nervous about some of the rumors but now I feel much better, I've been inseparable from my 1GHz 17" PB, I just ordered the MBP 17" and I'm getting it on Friday, FULLY LOADED BABY!!!!

Oh man you're going to be so happy with the glossy screen, i had a huge debate when i ordered mine too.

Let us know how u like it when it comes in, I'm sure you'll love it just as much as I love mine.

P.S. Just got done playing with Photo Booth, ****ing greatest **** EVER. lol

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
afx117 said:

Glad to hear that you ordered a 17" MacBook Pro- you will absolutely love it when it arrives. :)

ArchiMac said:
It's great to hear positive posts in this thread.
Since I've just paid the deposit on a 17MBP and am still a few days off delivery, you could understand how jittery I get reading some of the other threads!
I feel a ton better!

Could anyone answer this question: would a 2.16ghz Duo intel-mac run Adobe CS1/2 applications as fast and stable as my 1ghz G4 iMac? Even with the vast difference in processor power?
Logic would say yes, but there is the emulation layer to think about.
Thanks for any replies,

A 2.16GHz Core Duo should be able to leave a 1GHz PowerPC G4 in the dust when using Adobe CS- even if it has to be run in Rosetta.

GhostFace

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
You guys that have your MBP on order, come back to this thread and tell us how great your MBP is.

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
I went to take a long hard look at the MacBooks today and decided that if I was going to pay a $150 premium for black, I might as well take it all the way and get a shiny new Pro, in case I find a cheap copy of Windows and want to play games.

Lovin' it, though I've just played around with PhotoBooth and run a DVD to check it out. Thus far no whine, no moo, nada. According to CoreDuoTemp, after roughly an hour, I was only at 50C at room temp. Not too bad at all.

jhipolito

macrumors member
May 16, 2005
milozauckerman said:
I went to take a long hard look at the MacBooks today and decided that if I was going to pay a $150 premium for black, I might as well take it all the way and get a shiny new Pro, in case I find a cheap copy of Windows and want to play games.

Lovin' it, though I've just played around with PhotoBooth and run a DVD to check it out. Thus far no whine, no moo, nada. According to CoreDuoTemp, after roughly an hour, I was only at 50C at room temp. Not too bad at all.

Photo Booth is a blast! :)
I just got my MBP 17" today... I'm loving it...
I posted a few shots on my moblog which you can see in my signarture below...

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
dmw007 said:
A 2.16GHz Core Duo should be able to leave a 1GHz PowerPC G4 in the dust when using Adobe CS- even if it has to be run in Rosetta.
Running PS in Rosetta, the Core Duo should be faster, but would not leave the PPC in the dust. A brief internet search reveals several articles such as this one. Now if you run CS on the MB Pro using the Windows version in Boot Camp, you will see some nice speed ;).

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
amin said:
Running PS in Rosetta, the Core Duo should be faster, but would not leave the PPC in the dust. A brief internet search reveals several articles such as this one. Now if you run CS on the MB Pro using the Windows version in Boot Camp, you will see some nice speed ;).

Guess I was a bit generous with my use of words.... :eek:

Let me amend my previous statement, the Core Duo will leave the PowerPC G4 in the dust when PS is universal. :)

mortey

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2005
so cal
I'm excited about getting a MacbookPro as well. I'm just going to wait a couple of weeks and see if they have that back to school special. I need a new iPod too so maybe I'll get one too!

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
It's so nice to see MBP buyers more happy than during the initial shipments. They must be really nice machines, but with the noise and heat getting sorted, a lot nicer now. Congrats.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
I also love my 15'' mbp. I have the 2.0 that was upgraded from the 1.83. I love the professional look it has, and you cant beat the screen. I went from a 12''pb, and back then i thought the 15'' pb was too big. Now after being on this 15'' mbp for about 2 months, i went to the apple store and saw the 13'' mb, and i said whoaaaa i can never, ever, go back to a screen that small. so yea, i looove my MBP.

bbrosemer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
Ut o im on a 17'' and I don't think I will ever be able to go to a smaller screen... :(

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
jhipolito said:
When I use my PC, I miss my Mac terribly! :)
I understand..
OH, and HELLO from NC! I'll be in Durham tomorrow to get my MBP 17" :)

darn! My internet's been down since Friday evening, and now I wish even more that it hadn't been... I could have rode over to SouthPoint and mugged you for your 17"! :p

The bad news is I got an email from Apple saying mine is on hold waiting for a part :(

SpecialGuessed

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2006
London, UK
MBP is AWESOME, Shame about the iMac

After waiting a stupidly long time for my order to arrive (4 weeks!!) I like to chip in with my 2p and say how great the 17" MBP is. So sleek and super, super quick. Unfortunately, after having drilled to put up a new shelf to put the 20" iMac on (in our studio) it wont even turn on. 1 hour on the phone to Apple care and now UPS are on their way to come and collect it. New expected delivery date?......

21st June!:mad: :confused: :mad:

This being my first ventue into the Mac realm (and yes I did so want to believe the hype) I'm not nearly as happy as I should be. MBP is great, but Apple really should make sure that things work before they ship.

Apologies for the rant but when you've been waiting as long as I have for your make (about 25 years ;)) yesterday was gutting to say the least.

Does anyone know if Apple are likely to offer any kind of compensation at all? (it's worth a try surely! :) )

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
SpecialGuessed said:
After waiting a stupidly long time for my order to arrive (4 weeks!!) I like to chip in with my 2p and say how great the 17" MBP is. So sleek and super, super quick. Unfortunately, after having drilled to put up a new shelf to put the 20" iMac on (in our studio) it wont even turn on. 1 hour on the phone to Apple care and now UPS are on their way to come and collect it. New expected delivery date?......

21st June!:mad: :confused: :mad:

This being my first ventue into the Mac realm (and yes I did so want to believe the hype) I'm not nearly as happy as I should be. MBP is great, but Apple really should make sure that things work before they ship.

Apologies for the rant but when you've been waiting as long as I have for your make (about 25 years ;)) yesterday was gutting to say the least.

Does anyone know if Apple are likely to offer any kind of compensation at all? (it's worth a try surely! :) )

For all we know it could be damaged in transit. I've seen how certain companies handle packages . . . and it wasn't a pretty sight ;)

Sorry to hear about your troubles though.

Core Trio

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
New Jersey
All this happy testimony on the MBP is making me want to ditch my 15" PB.

I just have to keep telling myself that gas is expensive, i have court for a pricey parking ticket in a month, and that Merom is coming. All motivation to not take the plunge. yet.

btw does anyone with a 17" feel its too big? Are most of you who have it not really moving it around alot?

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
I agree i love my MBp, other than the heat and slight whine i have with mine the only thing i wish they will change on future model, allow the display to go back farther for actual lap use. I think thats why they did that so you could use it on your lap and be comfortable seeing it. Id hate to be someone that is really tall and liked to use it in your lap. The MacBook screen flex's as much as my 12" PB.

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
Core Trio said:
btw does anyone with a 17" feel its too big? Are most of you who have it not really moving it around alot?

I got my 17" MBP on Monday and it has spent approx 11 hours a day at home. the rest of the time it has done nothing but be on the move. I take it to work (actually where I am now) and to work (going there this afternoon) and then I will use it at home. Currnetly the meter is saying 4 hours 8 minutes of battery life left with airport and bluetooth on... amazing compared to my 12" PB. Granted, the unit BARELY fits in my Booq Backpack, and i mean BARELY but in there its well padded and well secured, so i'm not skeptical about it. It goes everywhere with me and I love my new MBP.

SpecialGuessed

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2006
London, UK
Pressure said:
Sorry to hear about your troubles though.

Thanks... :) just wish they'd hurry it up and get the new one out. Does anyone have any ideas of how long the "priority Shipping" normally takes? I've been going out of my skin waiting to get to grips with Logic Pro.

Oh well. (Twiddle thumbs for another week or so)

Nar1117

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2006
SpecialGuessed said:
Thanks... :) just wish they'd hurry it up and get the new one out. Does anyone have any ideas of how long the "priority Shipping" normally takes? I've been going out of my skin waiting to get to grips with Logic Pro.

Oh well. (Twiddle thumbs for another week or so)

Ohh man you are going to LOVE logic. Its the best thing since sliced bread. At least for us musicians...

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I went from an ibook G4 to a macbook 2 Ghz and I'm just as impressed as all of you MBP owners. This intel switch really was the right move...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.