just got my new bike

Discussion in 'Community' started by wilmor42, Aug 25, 2005.

1. wilmor42 macrumors regular

wilmor42

for anyone who rides...

built this up today... just a new frame and my old bits, just got back from a sweet ride, its a dream, works awesomly. My first ever air shock on the rear, had springs on my previous bikes.. its sweet as..

Attached Files:

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Hope it's good for you. I never had a Gary Turner bike. Full suspension always feels loose to me, which explains why I have a hard tail bike.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nice looking bike. I do quite a bit of riding but it's mainly just road stuff - going to uni etc. I've been a bit hesitant about getting disk brakes, would you recommend them for someone like me or do you think they're just another risk (pump fronts too hard, head-butt the road :( )?

4. wilmor42 thread starter macrumors regular

wilmor42

discs are great, ive used them for about 4 years now.. wouldnt go back

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Cheers. Are they heaps better though? I mean, have you fallen over the handlebars from any overexcited pump of the front rotors? That's probably my biggest worry.

6. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

I had a FS bike for about a year, butI got rid of it. You just lose way too much power with the FS. I will always be a hardtail guy.

Hickman

7. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

it's easy to do if you clamp on the front one but you find that point really easy, especially after you have gone over the front handlebars like me :eek: mind you i am a big guy so it probably took more to get me over ;)

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Thanks barneygumble. I'm going to look into it. I'm sick of going up the rear of cars that stop quicker than me on my way to uni. It's quite embarrassing. :eek:

9. CompUser Guest

I love my disk brakes. You have to be a little careful with the front disk brakes, but they're a lot better than the clamp kind.

I have a 2003 Schwinn Moab DS3. It has an aluminum frame, al wheels, al pedels, etc so nothing will ever rust. It also has mitchellin tires which I think is really funny. Its a pretty nice bike, it was fairly expensive ($600 or something) but cheap in the relm of high end bikes.

Pic:
    [​IMG]
    (this one doesn't have disk brakes)

10. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Road bike please. :) No super soft full suspension. :p

11. wilmor42 thread starter macrumors regular

wilmor42

yeah but thats cost most people dont know anything about bikes and they buy a full sus to ride on the road :rolleyes:

mine is solely for cliffpaths (here in jersey) and anything bumpy, i have a hardtail for the road ofcourse..

(worked in a shop for 7 years, i know my stuff ppl)

lance rocks! (till they find the drug he's been taking) (maybe)-or maybe the cancer treatment turned him into the 6 million dollar man :D i love him really

7!

12. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

why an air shock on a bike that looks like it sets up primarily for downhill? (chainguide) seems to me the weight savings aren't worth it... i've always prefered the feel of spring shocks...

and are those hope disc brakes? how do you like them?

13. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

That's one sweet bike, apart from the rear shock, only enjoy riding with a front sus. fork :D

::20ROGERSC::

14. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

hmmi just brought a new bike a few days ago cause well my car is evil to me...a ford which kind of reminds me how windows is. anyhoo, after riding it for a few days my arse is sooo sore :-( i even brought a really soft like seat and well that didnt help. any suggestions people??

Attached Files:

15. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

lower the air pressue in your rear wheel, buy a suspension seatpost, maybe try tubeless tires... though i don't know what your budget is...

16. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

well i will try those options... as for my budget ... its not looking so pretty for me -_- it will probably be about a month before I can purchase anything for myself :-(

17. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

You've been riding much prior to this? My behind is always sore in the beginning if I haven't use the bike for a long time, but after I while I don't notice it anymore.

Mine have a hard, thin, seat though.

18. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

weeeell its been awhile but still i dont like having a sore arse ... but i guess i can try that suspension seatpost ... any recommendations??? Also, where am i susposed to find these "tubeless" tires?

19. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Different category...

But how 'bout one of THESE?!!

Attached Files:

20. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

you'll need a whole new wheel in the back to use them, but they're fabulously comfortable, because you can ride them with less pressure. prolly gonna be more than you wanna spend... at least $150

21. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

That one is amazing, GT is a nice one! You'll enjoy it, had one before, switched from Trek and then went to Cannondale.
    Some of you may know "Tinker Juarez" he had a nice one 10 years ago, that was a good time for racing, traveled a lot but then had to decide between Mountainbike or University, I became engineer :)

22. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

That's a pretty sweet bike. I need to get a mountain bike so that I can go riding around somewhere other than the asphalt, but I guess my road bike'll have to do for now.

Nice bike, though!

23. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Yeah...I got an $80 Huffy from K-Mart. It gets me around campus. That's all I really need, though I would like to go moutain biking for real one day...seems like a lot of fun.