Just got new headphones...

Discussion in 'Community' started by dotdotdot, Aug 15, 2005.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    In my camp, we sit on a bus for long hours, hang out in places for days, and then sit on the same bus for long hours.

Now that camp is done, I can honestly say that I have hearing damage. Not from all the kids screaming (although that can do it) but listening to my iPod on above-normal listening levels due to good quality, but crap design headphones by Sony. And while they are light - like, under a half a pound light (and not in ears) - they are not too comfortable. So, I went on a quest to find the perfect headphone. Not junky ones, but not too expensive. My price range was $50 to $150 (Amazon gift certificate).

It had to have the following:
    -Closed ear headphones so it will not allow sound out or in.
    -Cancel SOME noise
    -Be very comfortable
    -Not too heavy but not too light
    -Amazing sound quality

Now, I DO consider myself an audiophile. However, I consider myself an "Audiophile with bad equiptment." So, when I took my list and found these headphones, I was in heaven: Sennheiser HD555 Audiophile headphones. The only problem is the first two - Closed ear and noise canceling - were not for those. Plus, those are HUGE! And the jack to plug into the iPod's headphone set is the size of the iPod! So, I said: "I want headphones by Sennheiser that are closed, sound just as good as the HD555, and will be within my price range." And I found them.

The Sennheiser HD280 Pros.

$100 (with the 2 day shipping - need them by Thursday) for the headphones. And the average review is 4/5 (and some are 4.5/5 and a few are 5/5!). The only problem is that people with huge heads don't like them - which is stupid as they are adjustable. And some people with really big heads say that when adjusted all the way to the end, it cracks, breaks, and is not under warranty. Thats the only reason its less.

SO I'm very happy with my decision. I know this is pointless, but I feel this was the first really worthwhile purchase I'd made in a long time.
  2. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    dotdotdot, I dont know about the warranty on that particular model, but from my experience Sennheiser has excellent customer service. I bought a pair of wireless headphones off of Ebay (Sennheiser T60, i think), so i got a bill of sale but nothing like you would get from a store. When they broke I thought that I was going to be screwed and that to fix them would cost a lot of money, but I sent them in anyway. Sennheiser fixed them for FREE! I dont know about the experiences that your friends have had, but I think you will be happy with those headphones.
  3. XIII macrumors 68040

Aug 15, 2004
  4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Jul 23, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Congrats, dude! You'll hear stuff in your music that you didn't even know was there :eek:

Good decision...
  5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    open headphones in a public place (ie. bus) is pretty rude ... and will probably be just as annoying to you as those around you.

if you want to be an "audiophile" just keep in mind the source of your music, if you're listening to Mp3's at a low bitrate ... you don't need good equipment you just need regular stuff.
  6. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    I opened the box, and they are HUGE!

Too huge.

I'm going to try to return them and get the Sennheiser PXC 250 instead.
  7. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

May 12, 2005
    I have a pair of Sony MDR 7506's. I love them, there not that big at all, they fold, and they sound amazing. Plus another good thing about them is they have very low noise leakage, Even at high volumes.
  8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    isn't camp over.... mine just ended yesterday..... sad day, i miss a few of my kids....

I did the same thing when i was a teen, it was called "grads" and we traveled on the east coast to like boston, DC, canada and stuff, long and boring rides...that seemed like they would never end... But we had fun though
  9. XIII macrumors 68040

Aug 15, 2004
    If you can't return them, I'll be interested in buying them..