Just got new iPod in the mail... wtf?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by brepublican, Aug 9, 2006.

1. brepublican macrumors 6502a

brepublican

I am pretty pissed. Ok. Very. I just got my new 1GB shuffle in the mail yesterday. So I plug it into my PB and surprise surprise! The thing doesnt work. Turns out I need iTunes 5 or better and I am running 4.9. WTF???

I have been running 4.9 thru out and I am not about to upgrade to 5.0 or better. And before you go and start berating me, I was very careful to check what ver of iTunes I'd need cos I'm aware the newer iPod models (5G and nano) aren't supported by 4.9 or prior. The iPod Store lists the min requirement as being 'iTunes 4.7.1 or later'

I'm so mad!! :mad: I wanna call Apple so bad and bitch about this. There is no way in hell I am upgrading my iTunes! Bite me!

</RANT> Just had to get that off my chest

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

just why will you not upgrade ?

what version of QT you running BTW

3. brepublican thread starter macrumors 6502a

brepublican

I dont like the look of iTunes 5 and later. That and the fact that it displays Podcasts in the Library (whereas iTunes 4.9 doesnt)

The problem isn't QT. I am running version 7.1.2. I keep everything on my system updated except iTunes, which is set to 'Ignore' in Software Updater.

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

fare do - if 4.9 is ok for you then cool

i would take this question up with apple

5. rafifreak00 macrumors regular

rafifreak00

Well, if it claims that the min. version is 4.7.1 or whatever; then ring up apple and be like WTF?

6. ExileinBlonde macrumors member

7. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Even if you call them they probably won't be of much help. You can definitely let them know how angry you are, but if the minimum requirement is ver.5 (even if it's not stated as such) then there's probably not much they're gonna do for you.

Sorry buddy, hope it works out for you somehow. :)

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You're not upgrading because you "don't like the look"? Also, you can have only certain types of files (music only, video only, etc.) if you show the search bar.

9. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

boo-frigin-hoo
    send it back and listen to all your music on vinyl... actually vinyl is pretty sweet :)

10. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

actually the OP has a point. i think i still have a copy of iTunes that makes sharing music over the internet possible. but i have to say, i haven't tested it for quite a while now.

11. iProd macrumors regular

iProd

The iPod could have a newer software version...try looking for an older iPod Update and restore it to an older version.

12. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

By the way.

You can remove the Podcasts icon from the Source menu by going to Parental Controls in iTunes Preferences and disabling it.

Just a thought, since the interface of iTunes 6 is much nicer IMO.

13. jruc4871 macrumors regular

The OP might have a point, but it's nowhere near as reasonable as yours.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I know too that there was this fairly interesting and fun piece of software, called Ask the DJ, that allowed for fun fades and beat matching and so on, and older versions of iTunes allowed for it to work with protected music, but whatever API that allowed this was closed with QT 6.5.1 and related later versions of iTunes.... I would probably be willing to pay for that software, but of course not if it is useless for protected files....

So I see some point in this whole thing...

But the truth is the truth. If the thing doesn't work, the only thing they will do for you is refund you.

And I guess you can buy a used Shuffle?

15. brepublican thread starter macrumors 6502a

brepublican

Nope. I bought it brand spanking new from the Education Store. There wasnt much of a difference between new and used models.

Guess I'm gonna just have to use it with my PC with is running the latest ver of iTunes :(

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Could be that you could use an older iPod Updater to downgrade the firmware to an earlier version if that will make it compatible.

I rolled back the firmware in my 4G to a version where smart playlists still updated on the iPod...

B

17. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

Just move a copy of that iTunes somewhere else and then update to iTunes 5. You can use 4.9 any time you want except when you need to use your iPod. (At least I think that works)

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hold on a second. Can you find an old copy of the firmware updater and flash it with an out of date copy of the firmware? That might solve your problems. What I meant when I said you could buy a used one is that if you find an older one, it should work with your version of iTunes....

19. jnagel macrumors newbie

the actual iPod software website here lists 5.0.1 as being required for Shuffle, FYI.

20. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Here's a link to an archive of iPod Updater files for Windows, which should allow you to go back to any version of firmware you like. For OS X you can usually find the files that were downloaded floating around on your HDD try Spotlight.

http://www.ipodwizard.net/showthread.php?t=7369

B

21. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Seconded.

22. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Seems more like fourthed since mkrishnan and I also raised the same point. ;)

B

23. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

i have the firmware for Mac for the shuffle going all the way back to 1.1, so if you need it, PM me..

24. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

You can call them, but you're not gonna get anything out of it. Basically, they'll say "We're sorry for the confusion on the website, but the new version of iTunes is free software, and if you don't like it that's your own problem."

25. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Woah, thought I read the whole thread, I must have zoned out.

Sorry.

:)