Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
Well guys, I received my new Mac mini today (Specs in my signature) and I love it. It's way quicker than any Mac I've used before. I've just been putting my pics, movies, and stuff on here so far, so I haven't really got to test it out completely yet, but I definitely love it so far. I also got the Bluetooth keyboard and Mighty Mouse with it. The mouse was delayed a bit, but it's supposed to be here tomorrow, so that's cool. It's nice to finally have a wireless keyboard.

Anyway, I'm having a couple little problems. This is kinda hard to explain, so hopefully you guys will get what I'm talking about. When I open an application, it doesn't go to the front like it should. Like, it still says 'Finder' in the menu bar after I open Safari, for example. To actually get to Safari, I have to click on the window and it'll switch to Safari. It does this no matter what application I'm in. Like, I'll be in Safari and click on the System Preferences icon in the dock and it won't come to the front. I'll have to either click on the dock icon or use Expose to get it to come to the front.

I tried moving the preferences for Finder, the dock, and the desktop to my desktop, so that they would reset and it didn't help, so I just moved 'em back to the preferences folder. I also logged out after I moved 'em.

Also, when I open a contextual menu and move over the items in the menu, they aren't highlighted until I actually click on one.

I've never had any little bugs like this in OS X before, so I'd appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: One more thing, I tried repairing permissions and restarting, too.

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
You said you've logged out after diddling with some settings to try and change this, but have you actually tried restarting the machine?

Also, what happens if you relaunch Finder from the Force Quit dialog?

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
DannySmurf said:
You said you've logged out after diddling with some settings to try and change this, but have you actually tried restarting the machine?

Also, what happens if you relaunch Finder from the Force Quit dialog?

Yeah, I tried restarting and it doesn't change anything. Also tried relaunching Finder. Hmm. This is odd.

Ok, this is really weird. I just came in here and the screen saver was on and when I moved the mouse, it didn't go off. I had to actually click the mouse to get it to go off. So out of curiosity, I moved the mouse USB receiver from one port to the other and now everything is back to normal. Think I have a bad USB port?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
The "focus" issue you're describing is something I can remember happening to me once or twice in the past, but I'm 99% sure that a simple restart fixed it.

If that doesn't do it for you, and you didn't install anything odd that might have done it, I only have two suggestions:

1) Try creating a new account and see if it happens there. If so, must be a preference issue, so you can either hunt for the problem pref or just move stuff over to the functional account.

2) Reinstall. It would suck, but it's brand new, so shouldn't be that big of a deal.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
I had a USB port issue with my Mac mini. Is it the closest port to the DVI output that has the problem? I just moved the mouse and forgot about it though. :)

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
After G said:
I had a USB port issue with my Mac mini. Is it the closest port to the DVI output that has the problem? I just moved the mouse and forgot about it though. :)

Yep, that's the one. I just tried uploading some images from my camera with that port, though, and it's fine. My mouse is still acting kinda weird, but all of the little glitches are gone. I think that the USB receiver or the mouse itself is going bad. It's a Logitech. They make nice stuff, but I'm a bit iffy on the quality of their products. I've had 2 wireless PS2 controllers by them go bad. One of them, the X button started sticking. The other one, the left joystick just broke off. My friend also had one and his left joystick broke, too. I take really good care of my stuff, so I know that's not the problem. Either way it goes, I still keep buying Logitech controllers because they are the best.

Anyway, I think I have this issue sorted out now. Thanks for the help, guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.