Just got new powerbook. Trying to connect to OS 9 computer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Sundance Kid, May 3, 2005.

1. Sundance Kid macrumors regular

Sundance Kid

HI guys,

Thanks a lot for helping me with my questions before, you've been a great help! Also this is my first mac, and i am glad i forked out the extra cash :)

My problem is this: I need to connect to a really old mac, with no cd burner, no firewire, no usb. It just has ethernet, and its OS 9. My new Powerbook doesn't seem to be able to boot to OS 9, so i don't know if i can use AppleTalk. AppleTalk seems like my only choice right now. I need to connect to the other computer to get the iTunes songs off it.

thanks a lot,

sundance kid

2. Sundance Kid thread starter macrumors regular

Sundance Kid

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I am not sure about OS9, so I will give you directions that make my Quadra connect to my OS X network. Some things may have changed

First turn on appletalk on your OS9 comptuer, you will need to do this by going into the Appletalk control panel, and switching it to Ethernet (if so equipped).

You also need to turn on Appletalk on the systems using OSX by going into the System preferences > Network > "Double click" on your ethernet Interface in the list > "click appletalk" > and check "make Appletalk Active".

The way to connect to the OS9 Box within OSX would be to go to Network, and check through the seperate Network folders until your OS9 Box shows up in the view. (hint, it may take a few seconds before your OS9 will show up in the folder, so wait a few seconds after opening each folder)

You will need to log into your OS9 box from your OSX box with a username and password you have setup on the OS9 computer.

Sorry to be long winded,

4. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

It's been a while so I'll try to remember the best I can.

Note: Both need to be plugged into a eithernet jack or switch. (Pretty obvious).

On the old mac, Apple-I, while the Hard Drive is selected. Then there should be a tab titled sharing. In this tab, create an aco****, which allows User: Sundance to log into user the password apple, or what ever.

Click on the button saying copy this to all objects within or something like that.

Then go back to your new computer.

On the desktop, go up to the top, and click Go-Connect to Server. Your old Mac should show up, and then click on. Enter the user name and password, and you should be able to copy everythng.

Note: Remember to keep the computer on. I know from experience. ;)