just got this sick email

Discussion in 'Community' started by mikeyredk, Sep 6, 2004.

1. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

OMG

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Since most of the cans of Coke are in boxes until you take them out, the vast majority of nasty cans will be coming out of soda machines or the cans tossed in somebodies gym bag.

ie, watch where you leave your food... using full cans of coke to prop up the roach motel isn't a good idea.

5. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

thought so, i put this stuff up for education sakes. I always drink straight from the can i say why do more dishes

6. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

I knew someone who washed all their cans in the dishwasher before drinking out of them.

7. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

My grandmother always washes the lid before drinking, she also uses a straw. I had the bad experience of getting a dirty can out of a machine and not noticing until I took a drink and got a mouth full (not literally) of dirt. BLECK! I now look and wash if necessary.

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Every once in a while something comes out like this and you just have to love snopes :D

Probably started as Pepsi's counter campaign against coke....but not traceable :D

D

9. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

10. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I don't drink anything out of a can. Carbonation tastes weird to me.

I like to drink milk, I'll go through a gallon in about 2-3 days. But I also like cranberry juice, apple juice, water, gatorade, tea, and the occasional coffee when I'm tired or at Starbucks.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well despite what Snopes says, this one could be true. The disease itself isn't made up, and there are rodents in all sorts of factories and warehouses.

Sometimes Snopes just speculates or argues a point based on what they think, not fact. If you read the entire thing, Snopes doesn't sound too sure themselves.

"Hey, Snopes.com is an internet info source. It must be true!!" :p No more reliable than others, although most of what they say seems well researched, but this isn't one of those cases.

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I get some weird E.Mails also, just delete them. Most live overseas and are asking for money. Or I should respond to a loan that I applied for.

I don't drink directly out of a can. If I lived overseas, I would be more concerned about the can. But unusual things have happened with cans here also.

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yes, but the email says it *did* happen, whereas it simply *could*. The idea that extra caution needs to be had because of precedent is wrong. However, it is true that cans can have all sorts of interesting things on them, i've certainly come across cans that had dirt or sticky residue on the rim. You should always wash them off if you're safety conscious. Pouring into a glass does little to avoid this if you don't rinse the can first, as it's pouring over the rim.

I've also been advised that in third-world type countries, you should rinse *and* dry the can, since the water may not be good to drink. Don't want to replace dirt with bacteria or parasite eggs.

paul

14. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Amen, brother

15. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

Wouldn't it blow up because the thing gets so heated in the last cycle? Or can you disable that part?

16. belair macrumors 6502

belair

urban myth

Yeah I got that exact same e-mail last year.
    Only it did not happen in Belguim but in Switzerland.

This story "could" happen. But that one did NOT.

17. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

My mother has always washed cans before drinking from them.. I do to now just out of habit.. though the whole rat piss storry seems far fetched.. how would you not be able to tell if it had piss on it!

18. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

I wonder what a carbonated milk would be like?

I make my own banana milkshakes:

small banana
    1/2 pint of full fat milk
    honey
    pinch of salt (to emulsify the banana before you add the milk)

The trick is to blitz the banana and honey mix to a fine pulp,l before addind milk.
    #

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I read an interesting article about the couple who run Snopes. The husband started it as a hobby (under a name other than Snopes). His wife had similar interests, and they met on the Internet in a text-based chat room (before the World Wide Web) while talking about urban folklore. He recently quit his "real" job to work on Snopes full time. They live in a trailer!

20. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Well there you have it! The alcohol will kill any germs on the lid so you are safe!

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I was in Indonesia a few years ago, it was easy to get sick by doing 'unhygienic' things that you normally don't even think about. For example, going into McDonald's and eating chips without first washing your hands :eek:

22. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

especially when put in the freezer for 30 minutes, then poured into an iced glass :)

23. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

Ocean Spray gives me a headache. A bit odd.

24. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Snopes themselves have a page of "rumors" that they fabricated just to show people that they should never turn off their skepticism...even if the source is Snopes.

However, any email I get that has "send this to everyone you care about!!" tagged to the bottom, I immediately run by Snopes, because all but one of the emails I've ever gotten with that at the end has been bogus fearmongering. Snopes will at least have done the search for a news story corroborating whatever the email's asking me to panic over, and failing to find one, will bring in the big guns of common sense and healthy skepticism.

Sure, the contaminated soda cans thing *could* happen, and probably sometimes even *has* happened maybe once or twice, but it's not something me and "all the people I care about!" need to worry our heads over. :rolleyes: