Just had a car accident...

Discussion in 'Community' started by edesignuk, Feb 3, 2003.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I've just got home at 5am after spinning off driving along a dark lane into the ditch. Looks like I slipped on a very thin layer of black ice which spun the back wheels out. Luckily I'm fine, but my lovely new Mini Cooper is seriously damaged, I'm gutted :(

So anyway, have you ever had a car accident? We're you hurt? Or were you like me, nothing more than a f**ked up car?

Here's a pic of my wonderful little car....when it was still in one piece! ....I'm soooooooo gutted!!!!! :( :( :(

[​IMG]

2. Macette macrumors 6502

i'm so desperately jealous - not about the accident, but about your mini cooper. hope you're insured...

<touches wood> i haven't had an accident yet </touches wood>

but it wouldn't be too bad if my 30 year old hunk of junk alfetta got written off. as long as nobody got hurt.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

ugh i'm sorry-- car accidents are very traumatic. i once decided to see how fast a ford ranger (if you don't know it, it's a small pickup made out of tinfoil) could go on a gravel road... one thing leads to another, and i've rolled the truck a couple of times, it's on fire, and i'm blacked out underneath it.

kind of sucked. it was my dads truck. he was not amused.

i was fine tho, other than compression fractures in a few vertebrae... which is painful to this day... my lower shoulders will hurt for the rest of my life, in all probability.

i remember seeing you post a pic of that car before... i know how proud you were, did you have good insurance? that totally sucks :(

glad you're okay tho-- which is the important thing...

pnw

4. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yeah, I'm insured. I rang the "MINI Accident Management" line number that is on a keyring that came with the car and they arranged everything. Within and hour the car was pulled out of the ditch and was on it's way to the bodyshop. I hate to think what this is going to do to my insurance premiums though....it's not gonna be good :(

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Tough luck mate, travels been a bitch here last few days... Hope the Cooper comes back good as new.

I got hit two years ago in Herne Hill, S London, I was coming home from a gig at about 2am, and was broadsided by a minicabbing twat in a Citroen XM who decided to run straight through a red light. Hit me in the passenger door doing something like 45 mph (a cop reckoned), threw the car 35 feet down the road into a streetlight, bent the chassis about 10 degrees:D

I was lucky to be in a SAAB 9000, I got a few glass cuts and a dislocated thumb, but because I didn't see him I didn't tense up so no whiplash.

Turned out the bast**d didn't have insurance, MOT or a brain, seriously injured the poor sod he was taking home, and then tried to claim I'd jumped the lights!

Cost me a bloody fortune, new car, NC bonus, endless wrangling with the insurance company.

Still, ended up well, cos I suggested getting two cars to replace the beast, which my wife was talking about getting rid of, and I ended up with a Corrado VR6! (couldn't afford the Audi TT:( )

6. Chad macrumors member

cool looking car ;)
    I like them a lot would love a convertible

on the crash I know how you feel

last year I bought a new Toyota Tacoma 4x4 limited dual cab totally killer a few months after we got it I went out to go somewhere and it was gone ???

they finally found it but it was totalled

years ago I had another Toyota 4x4 tricked out very heavily but not stupid jacked looking ;) a true 4x4 beast anyway going down the highway the front end locked up it just started flying up onto its nose and 280 feet later after fliping end over end 2 times and rolling it came to rest ;)
    %100 gone no insurance

so I know the feeling ;)

I feel for ya man truely I do

7. iGav macrumors G3

At least you're okay...... cars can always be repaired....

The roads here at the moment are pretty bad, especially if your council doesn't like to indulge in the art of gritting.....

I've only had one smash, I was driving my (old) Beetle down a snowy road, and because of the lack of weight over the front wheels (Beetles are rear engined) I couldn't steer, or brake..... I tried to accelerate out of it but no joy, and whacked a into a lampost at 30 Mph...... sending the car airbourne and into a 180, leaving a huge V dent upto the windscreen, and knocking the lampost into a 45 degree angle....

And the real killer is that the council made me pay to put back up the lampost..... :rolleyes: If only they had gritted the road!!

One of the reasons my next car is going to have 4WD......

Also.... do Mini supply you with a courtesy car whilst yours is off the road?? I remember reading that they didn't if you were under 25.... instead they gave this guy who smacked up his Mini, but was under 25 Bus fare money..... I kid you not!!

Hope it all sorts out for you though!!

Gav

8. iGav macrumors G3

I'd have repeatedly smashed his head against the steering wheel until he coughed up..... That's the thing with cretins who don't have insurance..... :rolleyes:

I'm after a TT at the mo..... the Turbo Centre in North London do them for 12k, although they're LHD..... but that's a huge saving over a RHD model, that still commands 20k.... Plus with Audi releasing new TT models this year, I'm hoping the price will fall a little further....

Only one problem... do I go for the Coupe or the Roadster???

Decisions Decisions..... ;) :) :p

9. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    Car accidents... man they suck

3 years ago i was driving 60 Mph down this road (yes that was the speed limit!) This jerk ran a stop sign right in front of me. Well, my tiny little Geo Metro slammed into the side of him and totalled both cars. I spun around in circles lord knows how many times and he flipped a few time before landing back on his wheels. Best part about it was when he flipped the first time it sent his luggage rack that was on his roof straight up into the air and when he finally landed on his tires it came down and smashed into his wind shield. Luckily I got enough out of the insurance company to buy the Civic I'm driving today. :D

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Sorry to hear this but the fact you are all right is what matters!now with that said i love your mini i had been thinking of getting one but its hard to have another car payment so i guess ill just keep cruising in my truck and mgb!Again those mini's are so cool!

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

3 years ago

I was involved in an accident...nearly got killed. It's about 3 am, I've been out all night with a buddy of mine, and we're leaving to go home. We get about 5 or 6 blocks away from the bar, when things go wrong.

All of the streets which cross the one we're driving are one way, all alternating directions. So we're driving, and some kid in a Jeep Cherokee comes barrel assing through the street, going the wrong way. It happened so fast, I only had a fraction of a second to think "oh sh*t!" before slamming into him.

I close my eyes, and feel this movement taking place. It was more like a bad amusement park ride than anything else. I hear this loud "BANG!" and feel something smack me in the face. The movement stops, I open my eyes, see smoke filling the inside of the car, and then my lungs start burning from the gas vapors of the airbag.

Long story short, my car spun for 30 feet into a frontyard fence. My car, which I'll post a photo of later, suffered $11k in damages (about 90% of it being front end damage). 5 hours in Charity Hospital ER (they have the best trauma unit in the country), 6 months of physical therapy for my neck, a year of dealings with my lawyer, I am still here.

That whole ordeal changed my life, seriously. :)

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've been hit and had major damage, but never injured, a corvette took out my Honda Civic way back. Did more damage to the Corvette, fiberglass flying everywhere.

But I'm really sorry to hear you have to go without the Mini for a while - that really sucks. Got any pics of the damage?

D

13. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Go with the coupe, I've driven both and the roadster suffers from scuttle shake when you throw it into a corner, plus wind noise. Besides, we live in a country with precisely 3 days of good weather a year;)

I'd also think about the LHD thing, I find it really difficult in London in a LHD car, to the point where I declined the loan of a Porsche 911 for two weeks last year (fool). Mind, at that price...

They did the cab driver for Due care and attention, no licenseand the MOT, he got banned for 3 years and got a £3K fine, I also hear that the passenger is suing him:D

Still, he was probably back on the road the next day, a***hole.

14. howard macrumors 68020

howard

been in two accidents...both at low speeds...i didn't get hurt on either...but one could have been bad....one my brother was driving wasn't looking and ran into a parked car...was only going 25-30 so it wasn't to bad. The other ...the end of a snow plow came about 2 feet from my face...it would have taken my head off if it didn't hit just a few feet back from where it hit...he backed into us...this time my cousin was driving...but again it was at low speeds...though the mass of the snow plow completely totalled my cousins truck.

15. iGav macrumors G3

That's what I like to hear...... although I fear he's probably driving around as we speak.... :rolleyes:

16. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Thanks for all your replys guys :)
    The bodyshop has just rang with an estimate of the damage....8k!!! That's (just) more than half the price of the car! I can't believe it! The insurance company arn't gonna be to happy, but oh well, I just hope they don't make to much of a fuss. I really need that car back and running asap.

17. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

I had a serious crash once. In 1994, when I had my license for 3 months, I was driving in a hurry, with two friends in the car.
    There was a long-drawn left curve, and I thought, I could drift a little more to the right, in case someone could come round the curve, which wasnt completely visual (bushes on the left)

Then, it started to rumble on the right side, and... I think I totally lost my nerves. I must have turned the wheel too fast or something, then the car was dancing a boogey over the whole street and then shooting off into the field.

After I opened my eyes, I thought... hey, everything´s fine, we´ll drive the car out or pull it out and drive on. Someone said "We gotta get out" and so we did. Then, I turned around and saw it... "THE CAR! THE CAR! THE CAR!..." I wasn´t able to hold my breath. It was a wreck. I didn´t notice how it could be SO worse. The car was short on any side, the roof flattened, the front, the back... everthing.

We looked at the field we crashed into. Street. Then a small "crater". Then plants. Then flat plants. Then plants. Then flat plants... and so on... and then... the car. We were doing a cunning 720 degree stunt! The car rotated twice, bouncing through the field, and we were all fine, all three of us. I had a speed of around 90 km/h thats 56 mph...

Then came the medics, they were sending the helicopter back, it wasnt needed. The police were checking my license... and finally I kept the license, because nobody was harmed. The only damage I took that day was when the medics were checking our blood pressure and I hit the ambulance car´s top with my head. Ouch.

18. James.Paul macrumors regular

I've got a big dent in the side of my Peugeot 206. Was sat in the car whilst leaving a party and my mate Ash (absolutely bollocksed!) decided to try and pick the car up (with 4 people still in it as well). He failed miserably so we just drove home. Next day I spotted a huge dent where his shoulder had gone into the car. Unfortunately, the party was his leaving party before he flew back to Canada at 10.30am. Which by my reckoning meant he'd left an hour ago!!!! Not sure where he is now!!!!

Still, at least it beats my girlfriend, who in her wisdom decided to drive straight into a parked transit van!!!

19. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

pics

well...here are pics of mine...heh

Attached Files:

• #1.jpg
      #1.jpg
      File size:
      19.9 KB
      Views:
  20. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

and another

Attached Files:

• #2.jpg
      #2.jpg
      File size:
      22.5 KB
      Views:
  21. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

and one more...

Attached Files:

• #3.jpg
      #3.jpg
      File size:
      19.3 KB
      Views:
  22. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Dang. That's some nasty stuff happening there. Ouch.

I was in an accident in a 1991 Saab 900 (good ol' tank she was) where a woman in a Suburban rear ended me, slid on ice, and while slamming on her brakes, pushed the ol' Saab underneath a gasoline truck.

The ladder from the gas truck got hooked on my front end and snapped off, and when i opened my eyes, i was about 4 inches from the back of the truck. Whew.

Had to climb out the back seat, and the woman was, you guessed it, on a cell phone and applying lipstick (she had a smear on her face)

We (me and the truck) were stopped at a light. She "couldn't see the light was red" and kept going. Dumb B*tch.

But yea. My whole front end was mangled?hood had a hole in it from the ladder, both head lights gone, grille gone, bumper was placed in my backseat.

Rear end truck deck lid was an upside down V shape, both tail lights were bashed it and we tied the back bumper to the frame. Surprisingly, she hit me square and i hit the truck square--no frame damage to the Saab.

So i ended up driving it home (about 7 minute drive) as I didn't wanna pay for a tow truck. hehe

I still have the Saab logo from the hood in my room somewhere. Ran into traffic to pick it up. :)

hehe

23. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

wowser!! :eek:

that's some scary stuff...seems we've all had a mishap of some shape...

24. 3777 macrumors 6502

Re: Just had a car accident...

That SUCKS!!!

I'm pissed off right now too, just last week I was at the car wash, and I was using the do it yourself powerwash....... well I tripped over the rubber hose and fell into my new SC Frontier Crew Cab right when the power sprayer was on full steam, it stripped a huge area of paint on the rear drivers side door..... right through the clear coat and down to the sheet metal. Now I have to have it fixed. :(

25. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I can't drive. Here in Texas you can start taking drivers ED when
    you're 15, and I am 15, but I have been putting it off, because I
    am a nerd, and I would rather be on the computer all day ;) :rolleyes: :D .