Just had a genius idea ("lost" episode on itunes)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spacehog371, Dec 7, 2005.

1. spacehog371 macrumors regular

Dec 13, 2003
    They should release an episode of lost early on itunes. They would make so much money. I guess it could work for the other shows...but given the nature of Lost...i think it would work best. $$$
  2. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    I'm betting ABC makes far more money on advertising aired during new episodes of Lost than they do on episodes purchased through iTunes, early or otherwise. :rolleyes:
  3. freeny macrumors 68020

Sep 27, 2005
    Then ABC would lose out on the million+ they would make for airtime commercials. If it went via iTunes they would only make as much $$ as would people downloading it and I'm sure thats far less than the million+. Doing it the way they do it now, it doesnt matter if they only have 10 viewers, they would still make million+.

Not very genious in my opinion:confused:
    Do you work for Fox?
  4. crazycat macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2005
    It will never work unless :
    Amount of people downloading the eppisode at $1.99 = X
    Amount earned by selling air time = Y
    When X is bigger then Y they might but i dont seeing it happing anytime soon.
  5. Baked macrumors newbie

Nov 8, 2005
    Heh, go take some college courses in broadcasting before you making any further assumed genius ideas. :rolleyes:
  6. Danksi macrumors 68000

Oct 3, 2005
    Nelson, BC. Canada
    We only watch Lost on TV nowadays (Cable's still running even though it's officially cut-off) - but we tape the episode each week and watch it another day, so that we can specifically fast-forward through the adverts! :)

EDIT: I assume it's still the case that the number of people with PC/Macs, is smaller than those with TVs and the number of iTunes users is again smaller than the number of those with PC/Mac's = very small/niche audience = but potential for targetted marketing <- which is the 'genius' idea behind schemes like Google Ad's, using your own info to put adverts in front of you that may actually be of interest.