Just had a small accident :(

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by todd2000, Nov 25, 2006.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

So im at the Mall and I turned down a row of parking spots, and some women just Backed up into the front of my car. I didn't see any back-up lights, and didn't realize till it was too late. I slammed on the horn and she stopped. The front passenger side fender on my car is slightly pushed in, theres no noticeable damage on her car. Of course silly me didn't have my Insurance card in the car, we just exchanged Names/Numbers etc... I don't really know if it's even worth fixing. Who would be at fault in this case? I drew a little picture to clarify

A = Her Car
    B = My Car

The little X is where she hit me

Attached Files:

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Typically it's the person backing out who is at fault, but since the police were apparently not called, it will up to the insurance companies to work it out and assign the blame.

3. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I thought the accidents on the parking lots are treated differently than the ones on the public roads. Can a cop still write a report on the non-injury accident in the parking lots?

4. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

And that would likely mean you're not going to get a 100% at fault for either party. That wouldn't help to keep either of your rates down, after all.

Glad everyone's ok and hope it didn't wreck the start of your weekend.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

In my state, yes. The person in reverse is almost always at fault.

6. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Which is why Im probably not going to bother with Insurance. You can't even really notice the damage unless you know where to look, and what your looking for.

Yeah were both fine which is the main thing

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Is the woman going to report it to her insurance? You never know what's going to happen if the other person is a little nutty.

A friend of mine recently got broadsided by a guy backing out of his driveway. The guy first claimed that he had been stationary and that my friend at hit him. It's not clear how one would be able to impale one's car on another one broadside. The guy then changed his story and said that he was pulling out of his driveway forwards, which fails to explain why it's the rear end of his car that's damaged. Meanwhile the whole thing is tied up in the insurance rigamarole as the companies try to assign the blame.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Unless you are SURE the other party won't contact their insurance, you should probably still inform your insurance. 'cause if the other party notifies theirs and gives your name to them they will do everything they can to find you and make sure your insurance shares the bill.

B

9. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't see any reason for here to contact her insurance, her car was fine. If I were to contact my insurance what would they do? This isn't going to be a negative thing for me right?

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Did you see WildCowboy's message above?

These kind of things can turn messy even when the damage is minimal.

B

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

12. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

It's soo minimal Im not sure I could even take a picture of it. You have to look at just the right angle in just the right light to even see it :)

13. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

If it is like all of the others they will raise your rates. They don't care whose fault it is. Not anymore. They have to pay for the Katrina disaster, everyone is paying for that. They will offer to pay for the damages and get it from the other insurance company, but once they give you money they up your rates.

My insurance company tried to pull that on me. Just call them and ask them. It seems that since they were the ones backing up they should be at fault not you. Even if it was at the beginning of the parking lot.

My mother hit this lady's car door that she had just opened and it was my mothers fault, not that lady's. So I assume (take this with a grain of salt) that it would be their fault, but don't contact your insurance company under your policy. Just call them and ask them that question on whose fault it is.

The other guys insurance company was going to blame it on me (though I was just sitting at the corner in a traffic jam) but I fought it and without my insurance company giving me any money. GL

14. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

.. WHat insurance company do you have? *makes mental note to avoid*

I've been in a fender-bender that was another party's fault and I never got my rates raised.

15. AirFoil macrumors newbie

In the genreral case she would be at fault. She's obligated to yield to oncoming traffic regardless of the circumstances. It's VERY RARE that the oncoming driver would be at fault.

16. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Parking lots are dangerous. If I pull into a parking lot where the parking rows are too close together, I will cautiously leave the lot and never return.

17. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

For whatever reason, people seem to think of parking lots as spaces where the normal rules of driving are suspended.

Maniacs in parking lots. Or normal people in parking lots.

Whatever. A pet peeve.

18. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The most dangerous lots are the ones where there are multiple cross aisles with no signage at any of the intersections, making it impossible to tell who has the right-of-way. I once saw two accidents happen in the space of five seconds at intersections in a parking lot like that. Within a few months, that parking lot was reconfigured.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd always contact my insurance company just in case. Hell, I'd even contact the police. You're not supposed to call them if the damage is less than $700, but considering how even something like a bumper costs like $1500 to replace (all Canadian dollars, folks), I think any damage to a car is likely to be over $700. :eek: