Just had my iPod stolen :(

Discussion in 'Community' started by killuminati, May 16, 2005.

1. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Today in PE I had my ipod stolen. I had seen this kid eyeing it over the last couple of weeks. So I put it in this pocket in my backpack and I saw him pick up my backpack or w/e (his back was to me I couldnt see). So 5 min later I went and checked and it was gone, and just as I looked up I saw him booking it outta the gym. Ironically the other day he was telling me about how he steals people ipods and then sells them.

:(

I know this is a stupid thread, I just needed to write to get some of my anger out.

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Was it engraved? Can you press charges or something, if you saw him? If he know you well enough to tell you he steals things, I'm assuming you know where he lives? I'd confront him about it.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Dude, I'm really sorry.

Personally, I'd beat the...nevermind I don't want to get banned.

I had a very expensive ski jacket stolen from my locker in HS, I know how much it hurts. I hate thieves to this day.

4. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Why don't you talk to the principal. Can't she handle it if it is a school matter.

5. killuminati thread starter macrumors 68020

killuminati

Unfortunately no it wasnt engraved. And I don't actually know him well. Hes just friends with one of my friends and was hanging out with our group and he wanted to impress us. Bragging about how he makes 200 bucks for every one. So i don't know where he lives.

Tomorrow I will "confront" him thought........ ;)
    Yea, I wish, unfortunately hes twice my size :(

6. killuminati thread starter macrumors 68020

killuminati

Unfortunately even if I go to my counsellor or whoever, there isn't really anything they can do about. I have no proof that he did, he definately wouldnt bring it to school.

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sorry to hear about the loss. A real bummer/

Not to rag on you, but why bring anything of value to school that you can not secure?

8. poundsmack macrumors 6502

poundsmack

wow thats the weirdest thing, my brother had his stolen like 4 days ago out of the PE office in his school. and it had a "happy birthday stephen" engravment on it.

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Did you register it with Apple? If so, and assuming that he's stupid enough to have it in his possession still, it should be a simple enough matter to prove ownership of the device.

I would absolutely sic the cops on his sorry ass. You have evidence enough (you saw him eyeing it, you saw him pick up your backpack) to get the police involved.

10. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Is there a way you can get a group of your friends and ambush him after school? Maybe then he would give it up.

11. AnewMac macrumors regular

Look up your serial number off the Apple website if it was registered. Not to pile on but I am a teacher and I hear stories like this weekly. One of my kids had his PSP stolen last week from his locker. All we could say was sorry. Some kids think stealing is better than the hard work and reward of buying your own.
    :(

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Vigilanteism is not the solution... that just leads (ultimately) to violence. I believe the proper thing to do would be to involve the police, especially since you have evidence that he was poking around your stuff.

13. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Correct, violence is never a good solution, but I don't know how helpful the police would be either.

14. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Man that real boils my behind. I can't believe people have the nerve to casually take things that don't belong to them. I really hope you get it back and that jerk gets what he deserves. :mad:

15. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

There is not enough evidence to get the police involved. It would be a matter of he said she said. No one to corroborate anything. At this point its best to cut your losses and move, providing you dont want to take a "violent" way out.

16. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

2 nights ago my gf's roommate had her ipod taken from her backpack at ucla... who needs to steal at ucla? ! I expect that sorta thing at usc... but not ucla... so sad. :(

17. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

do u have the box or sales receipt on mine the Serial number was on there, you can match the SN up

18. iGary Guest

iGary

I keep mine either on me, or in my locked brief at all times. Toe easy to steal, and I'd most likely hunt down the mother effer who stole it and kill them and I'm not up for jail time.

I left both my 40GB photo and 20GB iPod at work on the last day of March, got home realized I left them, went back and tore the office apart looking for them. Then my house.

My coworkers thought it would be funny if they hid 800 dollars worth of my gear from me for April Fool's. :rolleyes:

19. killuminati thread starter macrumors 68020

killuminati

I have all that, but thats not what I'm worried about. If I can actually find the iPod I wouldn't have any trouble proving that its mine. I'm just worried that he might have already sold it :( .

My dad gave me some suggestions as to how to confront him. He said to act like its not that much of a big deal to you and stay calm, because it makes you seem like you have authority...idno. He also said to say that he has 24 hours to return it no questions asked, or he will pursue it with the administration and the police.

One thing that I have going for me is that he was expelled from his last school for stealing.

20. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

I think it was Tuco in "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" who said "I like great big fat men like you. When they fall they make more noise..."

And if you are unsuccessful, you'll probably have speed on your side.

Sorry about your iPod. I worry every day at the gym when I lock it up to take a shower. I won't spin the combo if somebody is nearby and sometimes I'll leave and come back quickly to see if there is any funny business going on. So far so good. But there has been a lot of petty theft at my gym - nalgene bottles, combs, etc., and the clientele are mostly adult males with kids.

Don't you have a liaison officer affiliated with your school? Might be best to start a paper trail. Who knows? The kid could get shaken down in the next day or so and you should be able to ID your iPod based on playlists.

Good luck.

21. killuminati thread starter macrumors 68020

killuminati

Well first of all, the guy is not overweigh....he is just very (i stress very) muscular. hed sh*t kick me.

And the thing is as I'v said before hes not going to bring it to school. He is going to try and sell it as soon as possible.

We'll see what happens tomorrow though....

22. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Like I said, involve the police, ASAP. If you think he still has it, they can get a search warrant and look through his stuff for your iPod. If you think he makes a habit out of this sort of thing, they might find not only YOUR property, but also other property for which he cannot explain his ownership.

23. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

same thing happened to me...

2 years ago I had my $500 20 GB ipod stolen in the P.E. lockerroom. The one day I dont put my bag in my locker it gets stolen. Luckily I got the word out and someone tipped me to who it was. I filed a police report, then told the kid I knew he took it. He said "if you don't get me in trouble I will give it back." I told him "ok". He gave me it back all srachted up missing headphones. He then got suspended for a week and I was asked if I wanted to press charges. I didn't. He could have got a felony easily though. My advice, don't accuse everyone with a ipod. Ask shady people if they know where you can buy a cheap ipod. Word usually spreads fast, judging from the kid telling you he steals them. He is either mentally retarded, or didn't take it. I bet he didn't take it, but he probably knows who did. He probably wont rat on his friend who probably took it, so basically you are screwed. Good luck, I never treated my ipod the same again after I got it back and traded it in for a new one (i had the comp usa deal).

24. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Sorry Kids...

But please, be sensible: do you REALLY need your iPod at school? I remember the new Game Boys being very popular in my HS; they were also stolen often.

I never understood the kids who had to bring the latest and coolest gadgets to School... you're there to learn, remember? :confused:

Sorry, I don't want to seem pedantic.

I hope you recover your iPod....

and don't worry, that tool of a meathead will get his due: sooner or later.

25. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Hey, don't worry about it.

I know you probably feel like taking a small stick to his head, but you do need to do the logical thing. He needs to be reported, but in this day and age, the furthest you're going to get for him to be warned.

Anyway, I know what this sort of thing can be like - I was assaulted just the other day, all over a mobile phone. In broad daylight.
    The world can be a sinister place. Just watch out for this guy in the future. Sods law works in mysterious ways; you may some day be able to get him back. Nothing big...y'know, maybe that small stick we talked about earlier?