Just Help Me Out Please

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by bbadalucco, Sep 19, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502

I've been reading MRoogle (any maybe looking in the wrong place) but I bought a PS3 lastnight. I recently converted all my DVD and Blu Ray rips to the Apple TV format. I would like to see how everything works with streaming to the PS3 vs. the mac mini.

The PS3 won't play my rips with MediaLink...any ideas?

2. macrumors 6502a

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Fair enough

4. macrumors 68020

Well, since you supply very little info. Who knows ? However one thought is *if* you used HandBrake's AppleTV preset you ended up with 64 bit mp4's ... which the PS3 will not play. Just a shot in the dark.

5. macrumors 601

tbayrgs

I had the same problem with my PS3 though to be honest, I'd already planned on getting a mac mini so wasn't really concerned.

I've never used it myself but have seen numerous mention of PS3 Media Server. Supposedly it encodes to a PS3 friendly format on the fly. The downside I would guess is that quality of a twice encoded file probably isn't great.

6. macrumors 6502a

I could be completely wrong here but I don't think the PS3 supports AC3 audio in a M4V container. So using the AppleTV preset will give you a file containing AC3 audio. Try encoding a new file using the ATV preset but remove the AC3 audio track and see if it works.

7. macrumors 6502a

It supports h264 movies with an AC3 soundtrack, I just don't know if it supports movies with a default AC3 soundtrack. It may, I've never tried it.

8. macrumors 6502

try renaming the files to mp4 if they are in m4v

9. macrumors 6502a

As I said I could be wrong but I think the PS3 only supports AC3 audio in an mkv container and not in an m4v or mp4 container. I think thats why when you use the PS3 preset in Handbrake it sets the container as mp4 and removes the AC3 track.