Just How Quiet IS an iMac?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by gmstudio, Aug 14, 2002.

1. gmstudio macrumors newbie

Just ordered a 17" iMac. It's hard to tell in the stores, but can any of you current iMac (flat panel) owners tell me how noisy or quiet these things are? I've heard that they're much quieter than a PM. I'm talking about fan noise, in particular. I intend to use this for audio recording and my current G3 has to sit pretty far away from my mics to avoid the fan noise.

Thanks

Paul

2. DaedalusDE macrumors regular

i cant tell you about the imac, but i can suggest buying an upgraded cube to use

3. djniche macrumors regular

I have the 17" Imac and very little noise of the fan. You can hardly notice it at all. the loudest noise i heard from it was when it was reading a cd. so it should work ok for you.

4. gmstudio thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks DJ, that's what I was hoping. Of course, I won't know exactly how quiet it is until I mic up my singer after the iMac arrives, but from everything I can tell, it seems to be pretty silent.

Daedalus...what's an upgraded cube going to give me that the iMac won't?

Paul

5. liven2 macrumors regular

Very quiet!

These things are very quiet! You will be amazed. They are quieter than any PC I used and much quieter than my dual1ghz G4. the CDrom makes some noise but it is minimal. You should have no problem.. example in a quiet room you have to get righ up next to it to hear anything.

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

it's pretty dang quiet

but when it's kicking in a bit of cd reading it really gets loud. though, i'm guessing you won't exactly be popping in any cds when recording. should work great.

and the 17" looks awesome in person. not so impressive on the screen or on a poster... but in person.

7. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

that was kinda off topic... :rolleyes:

8. medea macrumors 68030

medea

9. gmstudio thread starter macrumors newbie

Well this all sounds VERY promising. Thank you all. Now if the dang thing would only ship soon. :(

Paul

10. Captnroger macrumors regular

Yep, my 17" imac makes nary a peek, unless the CDROM is spinning or I've got iTunes cranked that is! :D