Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alamac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2006
Can anyone help me out here. I have just installed OSX 10.3 but I still need to run some classic software. My system drive doesn't have the OS9.1 folder. How do I install the OS9.1 in OSX 10.3 environment? Thanks in advance.

Alamac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2006
Ok, So you are saying I have to install the 10.1 and then upgrade to 10.3. That would make it a long process to install. But if that is the case will try that route. Thanks.

Alamac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2006
Your 10.3 install disks should have classic on the 2nd disk; My ibook came with Tiger and had the classic OS 9 startup folder on the 2nd disk.

Thanks. Will check it out. Never occurred to me to check the disk contents.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Ok, So you are saying I have to install the 10.1 and then upgrade to 10.3. That would make it a long process to install. But if that is the case will try that route. Thanks.

I believe you should be able to just install Classic off the original disks as part of the "optional installs". You shouldn't have to install 10.1 at all (I don't think).

I know there was a way to just get Classic off the disks without having to install the whole package.

If the version of 10.3 you have was purchased retail, I would bet it doesn't have Classic on the disk(s). Note that the other poster was referring to the 10.3 disks that came with the computer.

Edit: I just took a look at the two "Software Installation Disks" that came with my daughter's iBook. On disk one, there is a separate installer labeled "Install Applications & Classic Support". That's what you'd need to run.

Alamac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2006
None of the folders are in any of the installer disk. I guess I will have to get a classic 9.1 and install that. Thanks.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
None of the folders are in any of the installer disk. I guess I will have to get a classic 9.1 and install that. Thanks.

You get the Classic Environment on the restore discs that came with your Mac, the last disc is called "Additional Software and Apple Hardware Test" it's on those.

You don't get it with a boxed copy of OSX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.