Just installed XP, I need help please

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by alienex, Apr 10, 2006.

1. alienex macrumors regular

Hey guys, Just installed XP on my macbook pro.

I have a few issues.

1. Adjusting the brightness doesnt work on my MBP. Any idea how I can help that?

2. I installed using an NTFS partition, when installing I had the option for FAT or NTSF, I didnt see a FAT 32 so I feared I would get a bunch of 4 gig partitions so I went with NTSF.

Was I right, I would like to reinstall and go with FAT so everything is interchangable but im not sure if its the right type of FAT. I made a 24 gig partition.

Finally if I was to do that what would be the best way of removing XP and starting all over.

Thanks for your help please respond.

Is there any disadvantage to installing FAT vs NTSF?

2. adam1185 macrumors regular

1. Try unplugging your USB keyboard then plugging it back in. I've had issues adjusting brightness too and that seems to help, although it's still buggy.

2. If you choose FAT, the installer will tell you that it is going to use FAT32 so don't worry about that one. As for the advantages and disadvantages, I don't really know.

3. If you want to remove XP the boot camp assistant should allow you to delete the XP partition from within OS X and then start over.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

FAT will let you read & write from either Windows or Mac, but can only support 32 GB or smaller.

NTFS will only allow you to read from the Mac partition (obviously you can read & write from Windows), and supports partition sizes over 32 GB. NTFS also provides better security.

Since your partition is 24 GB, I would go with FAT, but since you already installed and formatted, I would just leave it with NTFS. Plus I hear NTFS can be hard to get rid of (not sure if it applies to this scenario).
    ...But if for some reason you believe you may need to alter the Windows partition from the OS X partition, now would be the time to change it to FAT.

4. alienex thread starter macrumors regular

thank you very much, I am reinstalling now.
    I am still curious about the brightness thing.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Try Fn+F1/F2 (or just F1/F2, I forget)
    -- That's what it is on my PC laptop.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

There should be an icon in the system tray (next to the clock) that looks like a Cinema Display. Click it to adjust brightness.

7. alienex thread starter macrumors regular

tried FN F2 didnt work, other method did. thanks.