Just Like Heaven = Pro-Life Propaganda

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rockthecasbah, Sep 24, 2005.

1. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

WARNING I SPOIL THE PLOT OF THIS TRASH SO IF YOU PLAN ON SEEING IT STOP READING!

I am disgusted. I came out of seeing the movie Just Like Heaven with my g/f with a horrible taste in my mouth. Why? This 'romantic comedy' is nothing more than a pro-life propaganda film from the evangelist conservatives of America. In essence, it is a delayed response to the whole Terri Schaivo incident of a few months prior.

For those who don't know, this piece of trash is about a girl who works at a hospital and you think she dies. Her apartment is rented to this guy, and he sees her spirit, but she insists she isn't dead and it is still her house. They hate each other at first, but fall in love..yada yada yada. It turns out after much searching, the woman's real physical body has actually been in a coma for 3 months after being hit by a truck, and the guy (now unofficial lover) must save her from being taken off artificial life support by her sister...sound familar? Cough Terri Schaivo only pretty and not a vegetable Cough.

The sickening part of this movie is that the viewer goes into the movie NOT expecting anything political..just as advertised, a romantic comedy about a ghost woman. I am ashamed to have stayed through the whole thing. Has the world become so corrupt that you cannot go to a simple movie without being subjected to unwanted and unadvertised political agendas of the far right? I mean look, no side is a winner, since other non-political films have contained political beliefs that were imposed on the viewer. But if something is going to have such a theme, i'd like to know so i may avoid it.

These evangelist freaks are corrupting us more and more, and this is quite a fine example. They impose their beliefs on anyone available and their subliminal methods of infecting the public are dispicable. So, i urge all of you who do not want to be exposed to sickening layers of pro-life evangelistic nonsense to by all means avoid this movie. Take it from me... :mad:

2. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

You know Terri Schiavo looked pretty attractive, from photos of her before her "accident" or whatever it is called.

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Hmmm... haven't seen the movie yet. Thanks for the spoiler!

4. rockthecasbah thread starter macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

anytime ;) I should probably edit it and say SPOILER hahaha woops... :)

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

don't really like the romantic type movies and thank goodnees my girlfriend is in the same boat as me.

we go for the TRUE ghost stories and drama..

6. rockthecasbah thread starter macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

you are lucky...at least my gf thought the same way about the messages being sick and stuff...that only helps ease the pain :(

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...perhaps this thread should be in the politics forum instead. I have not seen the movie, and don't intend to, but I must wonder if you are reading more into it than is there...after all, anything coming out of Hollywood that shows a "far-right" viewpoint would certainly be a rarity. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.....oh yeah!

8. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

You encountered an element of pop culture that doesn't agree with your ideology? OH NOOOO!!!!!

9. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Yeah, I was kind of thinking that, too. I can see it turning into a really political thread.

I'll hold all comments until it's moved, if it ever is.

10. rockthecasbah thread starter macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

As a matter of fact, i contemplated putting it in the politics section but thought not to because it is in fact a movie and my ranting is based on interpretation and similarities to historical events rather than physical evidence...and while i respect your view that it may be just what it appears to be, i have to disagree with the ever-so-venerable Duff-Man. Just because a lot of Hollywood IS liberal doesn't mean a conservative film can't be produced, and i feel this is that type of film.

11. rockthecasbah thread starter macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

how do you actually move it...i will once i find out...Do the mods just change it? :eek:

12. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

yeah, just ask a mod.

I'm pretty sure they won't bite. :p

13. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...and so what if it does have a "conservative" point of view? Like I said - it'd be a rarity coming from Hollywood. Is it being presented as a factual account of that particular controversial case, or is it being advertised as another movie? It's just a cigar. (and by the way, I am very very very very very pro-choice should anyone get the idea of labelling me as a right-wing nut...beernut maybe, but right-wing nut, nope). People should just take it as entertainment, and the same applies to Michael Moore movies, which people are far to quick to accept as "factual," - great entertainment but any facts contained are so twisted around to make them invalid.....oh yeah!

14. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I am getting sick of left wing propaganda too... :mad:

Oh wait, right wing propaganda. My bad... :rolleyes:

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Even the "resident" liberal here saw that train coming.

It makes me wonder how people will respond to Brokeback Mountain (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/).

We all have axes to grind. Since we have lost the "art" of reading, movies are where we try and form our own opinions as to the basis of a "story". Much like some felt that "Philadelphia" was a story about someone that deserved all the pain that he went through.

16. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Not to re-direct the subject of this thread, but have you guys ever seen "SAVED"???? That movie was so great. A bunch of Christians thrown into real-world issues who find out that there's more to life then the Bible, Church, and the 700 club. I loved it.

Thank you, because my g/f (the one in the other thread about my problems with her) REALLY wants to see this. Now I have ammunition against this (a REAL romantic comedy ALWAYS involves John Cusack, RIGHT?!) romantic crap movie.

You have saved my 18 bucks! I owes ya a beer!

17. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i thought saved was hilarious :)

this one sounded like enough of a chick-flick that i wouldn't have seen it anyway. but now i doubly won't...

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I wouldn't say it's propaganda, anymore than that boxing movie with Clint Eastwood and Hillary Swank. But knowing Hollywood, I'm sure the whole Terry thing gave them some ideas. I hear it isn't bad, but to wait and just rent it.

For the record, I'm all for the right to die... but I'm not so easily offended. ;)

Saved was quite a good movie, and not as anti-Christian as you'd think.

19. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

hmm i have to check that out...

20. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Yeah, cos you really go for those lightweight, rom-com chickflicks don't you lacero? :D

This has to go political folks, it just has to...

21. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The first thing I thought of when I saw this thread was Lois from Family Guy:
    "I was going to go to the Olympics but then I got pregnant with Meg. Now I'm pro-choice."

22. iGary Guest

iGary

Saved was excellent.

23. rockthecasbah thread starter macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

you are quite welcome. :)

24. iGary Guest

iGary

This thread is a prime example why we need a new product release. :p

25. rockthecasbah thread starter macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

and by product you mean a lovely dual core PM or G5 PB? Where have we heard these discussions before... :p Honestly though, i mean it gets boring talking about the same thing over and over again. The truth is we are in the product drought in Apple's session, we just need to ride out the storm. Reiterating the same stories gets old... :(