Just made $1,500 on ebay and I don't even own a PS3

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BVGuitarPlayer, Nov 17, 2006.

1. BVGuitarPlayer macrumors regular

Ok, I know, people are probably about to trash talk me and tell me what an idiot I am, I'm willing to accept that, because I can laugh all the way to the bank.

I just sold 2 email addresses relating to the PS3 for a whopping $1500+ on ebay. The ebay rep I spoke with determined that what I did was completely ethical and I should not get punished for my listing. I know there are still a few factors to deal with before I get my money (or not get it), but I am incredibly stoked right now! Before the haters come in and ridicule me, can you at least crawl out of your hole of endless misery and be a little happy for a college student who doesn't have the coding knowledge to create an ad supported P2P network in Sweden. Hell, I thought I would make $50 at most, and then to my surprise, about 10 bidders in the last hour with feedback ranging from 0-50 started bidding in the thousand plus dollar range.

I'm so happy! It's the lesson I've learned from Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. Keep pressing through the times you are ready to give up, and just keep going, you will finally have success. I have had a couple underperforming business ventures lately, and this sure as hell is a great pick-me-up!

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I love how you automatically assume that people are going to hate you for it. Nice.

Oh, and how 'bout some links to the ebay auctions? Is that really too much to include in the initial post?

3. BVGuitarPlayer thread starter macrumors regular

well, i received 30 hate mails for it, it's pretty safe to assume. Also, my auction was just pulled from ebay as a result of those hate mails...however, i have proof of an ebay representative saying that could not happen to me.

4. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Meh. Not overly impressed. At this point considering the rabid frenzy over the PS3 I could auction off ....

[​IMG]

And probably make a few hundred off it. People are stupid. Heck half a grand for a game console....*shakes head* And people call Macs expensive. Game systems are suppose to be fun. Not put you into debt.

At any rate congrats.

5. BVGuitarPlayer thread starter macrumors regular

What would you guys do, i saved a pdf of a chat transcript with me and an ebay rep, has the session # and all. He tells me my auction won't get pulled, and then it gets pulled. Sue em? (I wish, but I'm a relatively poor college student)

6. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I don't get what you did on E-bay.....you sold an E-mail address?? I'm lost..

7. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

HAHA, that's hilarious really that some people would spend money on an email address related to PS3. If I may ask, what domain are these email addresses at? Some free email like Yahoo!? Hotmail?

8. BVGuitarPlayer thread starter macrumors regular

I sold two free email accounts (yahoo and aim) with the "PS3" in the ...@ part for a total of $1500, ebay just removed mine and only mine! I'm on chat support with them and have proof of an employee saying that my auction would not get deleted. I am going to tell them that this was my only chance to make $1500 and that is how much I want.

9. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Well if you do get the money, that's one of heck of a way to "earn" money! ;) This proves that people will buy almost anything these days, especially eBay.

So if this all goes through, how do you go about giving them the email address? Just give them the password? :)

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Your auctions were getting bid up by bots. No one would have paid you anyway.

11. BVGuitarPlayer thread starter macrumors regular

techforall: correct about the passwords

eBay doesn't think that is ok in MY case because I made so much money. Envious people reported me and that is currently costing me $1,525 and the 10% I was going to give to the Humane Society of Phoenix, Arizona. $152.50 that could be helping feed animals. That is sad to me.

The only reasons ebay is canceling this auction (I think), is that I made so much on it, and jealous people reported me. That is ALL of it.

Anyways I am filing a complaint with ebay that my $1,500 window of opportunity is now gone.

My question is: how the hell is this any different from me ordering *just a code* for xbox live, not the card with the code. Why aren't the other e-mail sellers getting booted? ...because there's are going for .99. Damn. Anyone care to join me in eBay protest? :mad:

pseudobrit. Think about what you're saying. Why would someone program a bot to bid it up when the bid's are tied to their account? Maybe you mean snipes, but snipes are intentional. Snipes are bots, but they are programmed by people who want an item bad enough without attending to the computer.

12. furious macrumors 65816

furious

tough break. hope you learn from this. you get nothing for free. would have been cool if ebay did not screw you though.:p

13. BVGuitarPlayer thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I'm persistent. I'm going to see what I can do to get my money. One of the things I have learned from basic accounting pre-req for the business college at my university... corporations make room for "doubtful accounts" and similar expenses, they have a percent of their revenue that is set aside and expected to go back to customers for mistakes etc. Why not try it, right? Persistance, I mean, $1,500 is a lot of money to a college student and I was really starting to enjoy that ever-so-slight feeling of success...I want that back, I'm going to get it, eventually :D

Oh, and haha it wasn't free either, the two e-mails were. I did elect to pay $20 to have my auction sent towards the top of the page. eBay conveniently refunded my $20 when they shattered my $1,525. How thoughtful.

14. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

One of the things I've learnt with my dabbling into the internet (adsense, PDF scams, "SIGN UP NOW AND EARN £400000 A SECOND" etc etc) is that you don't earn money for nothing.

It just doesn't happen.

Money is hard earnt and easy spent. It's a fact of life. Deal with it. You think you're owed this money? Get real.

15. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Boo hoo hoo. You tried to trick some people out of $1500, then you whine when you're stopped.

Until we see what the auction said, most people (myself included) will assume you were up to no good.

16. kjr39 macrumors 6502

I hear there's an auction on ebay for tissues related to this very type of thing.

You may want to bid on them...

17. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Exactly. It's not worth it to buy something that costs that damn much and not have it do more than play some games...

18. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I agree with what you said about seeing the auction before trusting the OP entirely, but how is it you feel that he was "trick[ing] some people out of $1500"? People sell e-mail addys all day long on eBay and because of the current PS3 insanity, e-mails related to the console went for good numbers.

19. iGary Guest

iGary

Because you're a couple of inches short of being a con artist. :)

20. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

21. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Why does anyone sell anything? Because people will buy them.

22. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I love that auction, in particular. It's basically saying, "You absolutely need this email address to look professional. But I don't have to worry about looking professional, myself, as I can't even type out a coherent statement that is free of spelling errors." :)

23. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Ya your a good guy trying to help some animals out...:rolleyes:

24. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

What carp. I agree with you in that selling email addresses should be legal, but I am almost positive that whomever bought the email addresses was confused.

Why pay this much for an email address you could create yourself...