Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
California.
:eek:

Well, hopefully everything will go fine with my up to date exchange for FCP5 but boy-o-boy was is scary sending my FCP disc away in the mail.

I have tracking on the Priority Express package on it... but still... yikes.

So, has anyone else done this yet? How fast did they get it back to you?

I have a project I'm working on right now... and I can only hope I get the package back soon enough so I can use the FCP5 stations at school for the color timing and conforming (I'm thinking of blowing up to HD along with my 5.1 mix).

3dit3r

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2005
xPismo said:
:eek:

Well, hopefully everything will go fine with my up to date exchange for FCP5 but boy-o-boy was is scary sending my FCP disc away in the mail.

I have tracking on the Priority Express package on it... but still... yikes.

So, has anyone else done this yet? How fast did they get it back to you?

You could have made a backup, however, I've never needed to reinstall FCP since I've been using it (v.2). In fact, I've never taken them out of the box once I installed.

xPismo said:
I have a project I'm working on right now... and I can only hope I get the package back soon enough so I can use the FCP5 stations at school for the color timing and conforming (I'm thinking of blowing up to HD along with my 5.1 mix).

Word of caution, it's not always a smart idea to upgrade mid-project, although 4.5 to 5 yields little hassle. By the way, are you doing a film-out or are you merely upconverting to HD?

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
California.
3dit3r said:
You could have made a backup... Word of caution, it's not always a smart idea to upgrade mid-project, although 4.5 to 5 yields little hassle. By the way, are you doing a film-out or are you merely upconverting to HD?

I did make a toast disc copy but I have no idea if it will work or not. I ran the burned installer up to the install screen, but didn't actually get it started. Knock on wood, hopefully I'll never have to use the disc anyway. :)

I'm hoping to have the editing complete before the switch from 4 to 5 and worst case export the finished video out for basic effects & color timing. Glad to hear there aren't that many problems doing the switch.

Maybe the next shoot will go to film, but this is just a DV project for my Directing class. I'll probably try the HD to film out for my Cinematography class next semester. :cool:

Counting down the days till I get my upgrade discs!

macpastor

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2006
I am with you. The discs are sitting here ready to send back, but I am very unsure about doing this. I suspect that it will be ok, and would be best to have tracking info with this.\

Kind of like shipping over $1,000 in the mail.

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
California.
Well, just for giggles I hit the tracking page and got:

"Your item was delivered at 5:17 am on April 06, 2006 in SOUTH BEND, IN 46634. "

Wooo! Hopefully all goes well. Lets see, I should probably get it by... Tuesday? Hmmm. I wonder if its drop shipped from an Apple warehouse or from Bend IN?

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
California.
Well.... sigh. I guess its going to take longer than i thought.

My card hasn't been charged yet. So I guess its all those other orders in line before mine. Still, keeping my fingers crossed for delivery before next week.

A.Pack is a dream to use btw, but I can't seem to get Quicktime to add the AC3 file as an audio track. Any ideas?

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
California.
Heb1228 said:
I've got FCP 4.5 and was thinking of doing the upgrade path as well. You mind if I ask what the price was?

[edit] oops. avatars @ 500 posts. Sigh... and I liked the one I had. [/edit]

I paid the $199 via the crossgrade offer currently going on. Which you can find here. The best part is you get the whole suite, as well as full blown production apps! No more Academic FCP only for me. :)

WoooO! Now if they would only hurry up.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Wow... am I understanding this correctly? For $199 I can go from having just regular FCP 4.5 (not Studio) to The Full Final Cut Studio? That doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Do you know if there's a time limit on this deal?

EDIT: I see on the order form its thru Dec. 20, 2006... so I have some time... but this is really tempting.

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
California.
Heb1228 said:
Wow... am I understanding this correctly? For $199 I can go from having just regular FCP 4.5 (not Studio) to The Full Final Cut Studio?

Crazy cool huh? Its all there in the fine print. :D Had a hard time convincing people at school today too. They were to mainly blinded by the WinXP on Mac evnts.... heh, we spent the coffee break talking which games we would be playing if we had a MBP.

I had to duck when I mentioned running Halo. :eek: :p :)

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
California.
WOOOHOOOO!!!!!

"Thank you for your participation in the FCP4 FCPHD UPG program.

Your order has been validated, processed and shipped via Media Mail. Please allow 3 to 7 business days for delivery. "

WOOOHOOO!!!

:cool: :cool: :cool: :D :D :D

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
California.
It Arrived! !! !!

I'd take a picture, but I'm already tearing into it to insall.

Final Cut Studio 5.1 U.B. Complete.

No more Academic for me BABY!

<does a dance>

Woooooo!

:D :cool:

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
xPismo said:
It Arrived! !! !!

I'd take a picture, but I'm already tearing into it to insall.

Final Cut Studio 5.1 U.B. Complete.

No more Academic for me BABY!

<does a dance>

Woooooo!

:D :cool:

So you sent in FCP 4.5 edu version and you got a retail copy of FCS 5.1? That is a very good deal.

Timinator

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2006
Still waiting going on day 16

xPismo, yours took like 8 days? Mine was "shipped" on the apple status inquiry section 4/10. It is the 26th and I am still waiting. I called the number for help with my order and went thru the machine menus, they say you can fax in an order form after 14 business days to have them reship it. I'm just wondering if anyone else actually had it take THIS long. I've got another day or two before the 14 business day deadline, just wanted to know if i was alone in this shipping nightmare...

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
California.
Timinator said:
xPismo, yours took like 8 days?...I've got another day or two before the 14 business day deadline, just wanted to know if i was alone in this shipping nightmare...

Ouch. Yeah, I'd start asking questions and sending faxes. The discs arrived in a non descript brown shipping envelope and I could easily see it being damaged/lost in transit.

Even my copy was mishandled a bit. Lots of marks on the package, and one of the TOS pamphlets was wrinkled up in a corner.

Let us know what happens!

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
I mailed mine on Monday morning and got my new FCS DVDs in the mail on Thursday of the same week. I thought that was really fast turn around considering I used first class insured mail and not overnight or anything.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
xPismo said:
The discs arrived in a non descript brown shipping envelope and I could easily see it being damaged/lost in transit.
I agree. I was very surprised at the packaging, and the invoice could be read from the outside of the package. Meaning anyone could have looked at the package and saw it was a $1200 piece of software inside. (That is, the small percentage of people who would know what Final CUt Studio is...)

MacEffects

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2005
Darkspear
Well if they are still using DHL and Airborne Express and same packing I wouldn't worry, they are aways fast to return your items in good shape, plus I had Items mailed in Computer boxes before and nothing stolen since its a fellony I believe :rolleyes: :cool:

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
I'm really considering doing this cross-upgrade. I've got an academic license ($300) of Production Suite 4.5/HD, but I'd love to get Motion 2. And the multi-angle syncing in 5.0 would be very helpful to me.

So you actually get a professional Final Cut Studio license for only $200? That's incredible!

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
California.
Oryan said:
...So you actually get a professional Final Cut Studio license for only $200? That's incredible!

Yup. :cool: The only problem I had so far is finding 55Gb of space to install everything! I only have a 80Gb HD. Still, not such a bad problem to have.

My current project came over without a hitch. I'm messing with the new features (wavelet interframing, smart noise reduction, etc) right now.

I can't wait to hook this up to the G5's at school Monday (they have FCS5 too)!! More powah! :D

w8ing4intelmacs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2006
East Coast, US
xPismo said:
Yup. :cool: The only problem I had so far is finding 55Gb of space to install everything! I only have a 80Gb HD. Still, not such a bad problem to have.

Doesn't FCS 5.1 allow you to install extraneous content (templates, sample content, etc) on a different drive? I have my MBP and an external drive for video editing. (I received the FCS disks and will probably install over the weekend).

Timinator

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2006
Sent fax...

xPismo said:
Ouch. Yeah, I'd start asking questions and sending faxes...
Let us know what happens!

Well I sent off a fax today with the status inquiry page with my order number and information. I also wrote my address down on there. Unfortunately I will be back at home from college by the time it gets to me if it is reshipped. So hopefully they can send it home or i will have to wait for it to be forwarded. I found the instructions on the phone to be very vague...hope this works...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.