Just one game.....

Discussion in 'Games' started by matt18012, Apr 24, 2003.

1. matt18012 macrumors member

Apr 24, 2003
    Hey guys, I'm making a trip to the apple store this weekend. If you could buy one game, which would it be? I have a ibook 700mhz with the ATI mobility radeon 7000 16mb vram.

Possibilites (please suggest any other good ones):

Deus Ex
    Black and White
    Monkey Island 4(demo runs great)
    Warcraft III (demo runs ok with graphics low)
    Jedi Knight II (demo runs ok kinda slow)
    Tropico (demo runs great)
    Giants (demo runs great)

please take into consideration the game must be playable on my setup.

Thanks in advance,
  2. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    though deus ex was supposed to be amazing i didn't really like it....at all...i played the first 5 mins and quite it was so boring...games are supposed to be really exciting to start..but that one just wasn't.

never played black and white...heard its great...if you like that sort of strategy kinda thing you might like it.

never played monkey island

warcraft 3 was good...but not fantastic...its really really long..i got about halfway through and quit..though i saved my saves and plan on restarting it up again sometime...but its warcraft all over again...nothing to new. but if you were a huge fan of the older ones you might like it...its got an interesting story.

jedi knight II was great...great action game..great levels and controls...great story...great everything...if you like fps stuff this is the one to get..its a really good game. especially if your a star wars fan and always wanted to chuck people around with force push :)

never played the last two....so i don't know

i have the same computer as you so warcraft and jedi II wwill run fine...whoever on LOW graphics....but hey at least they run...
  3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Well, I like WCIII, but it gets old w/campaign.

But if you have a good internet connection I suggest it because of the custom games and mutiplayer.
  4. Wren macrumors regular

Dec 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    If you're into RPG's I recommend Icewind Dale for your iBook. It works well on OSX, just remember to get the patch. Hope you find the 'right" game for you. Good luck!:)
  5. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    Baldur's Gate II rules over them all!

Black and White is actually really boring after the first 3-4 hours so don't bother.
  6. dreamlance macrumors regular

Sep 3, 2002
    wouldn't you like to know?
    I gotta agree with MrMacman. WC3 is an addiction for me. I used to play on Bnet for hours over semester breaks.
  7. MacBandit macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    I just played the Giants demo and it looks to be a really really fun game though it the graphics are a bit rounded goofy childish like.
  8. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2001
    Montgomery, AL
    With your setup it's gonna have to be either Tropico or Giants. They're both fantastic games, and I'm speaking from experience. I think that Tropico will offer more replayability, especially if you buy the bundle with the expansion pack. It's a fantastic little sim with a ton of options and a real sense of humor. I thoroughly enjoyed it. That said, I think it's really an issue of your taste. Do you prefer first person shooters (Giants, Deus Ex, or Jedi Knight II), real time strategy(Warcraft III), adventure (Escape From Monkey Island) or a sort of rts/sim combo (Tropico or Black & White). Make that decision and use it as a barometer to find a game you'll be happy with. :)
  9. Wren macrumors regular

Dec 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I second the motion, Baldur's Gate II is a great game. Unfortunately, Throne of Bhaal ( expansion ) was not available on Macs.:mad:
  10. dynamicd macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2002
    I bought Deus Ex way back in the day when it came out for pc's. I thought it was an amazing game with a fantastic story. Once you get involved in it there is a point where you crave the game and need to play it to see what will happen. It also has multiple ending which is cool.
  11. kylos macrumors 6502a

Nov 8, 2002
    Tropico is a great game, but on my 500mhz 8MB Vram ibook, it gets bogged down very quickly (it's keeping stats on the population of an entire island, after all).
  12. mkubal macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Civ 3

Might I suugst Civilization 3. Great game. Should work fine on your computer.

13. bmeyer macrumors newbie

Jul 24, 2002
    I second the vote for Civ III... I could play that game all day. In fact, I think I have before. Good luck!
  14. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    get deus ex, such a great game. i played it for 5 minutes and i hated it, but then i picked it back up later on in the year. it will play great on your computer and it is a game that will last you a long time. it is a very non linear game too, to an extent. im so excited i cant wait till june when the 2nd one comes out, i will definently be getting that.

15. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL, USA
    if you want action: Jedi Outcast
    If you want strategy: Civ III
    If you don't mind crappy graphics: AoE II
  16. maluscanis macrumors member

Jun 30, 2002
    I'm not sure
    I really like Monkey Island. It is absolutely hilarious...the graphics were fun and the game always kept up a great pace. But you just can't understand how funny that game is until you play it and hear the awesome voice acting for Guybrush.

Giants was also very funny and a good game as well.