just one request for us users

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Nov 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

so what thread are you talking about?

This option has been available before but was revoked due to abuse. Not because of postcount issues, but because some very good threads with constructive discussions were deleted.

If you need to have a thread deleted, let one of the mods know and we'll take care of it.

D

2. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

some members could handle it, but you can't say that for everyone - there will always be exceptions. Because of that things will most likely stay the way they are.

All it would take would be some member to get upset at what was said in their thread and a 200 post thread gets deleted. Such things cause all sorts of problems - which we try to avoid.

If something requires more work for the mods, its a problem. We do what we can to make things run smoothly.

D

4. iGav macrumors G3

any of my threads can be deleted.... :eek: :eek: :eek: except the Geekfest London 2 and the Automated-Self-Beating-Machine thread..... ;) :D :p :p

If either of those go... :eek: :p :p

5. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

don't worry - someday they'll be archived, that will be the extent of it.

We're not out to delete threads here. :D

D

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

hmm...I don't think that's such a hot idea at this stage of the game... :(

It was an option for everyone until it shot us in the foot with an actual good thread, now it's been taken away. It's my understanding, though, that it should have never been an available option to member to begin with, but was overlooked until it became an issue.

At this point, I think it's safe to leave it up to the admin & mods in making the decision of deleting a thread or not. This is only asking for trouble if u ask me.

8. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I see where u are coming from on this, but it's not going to happen. At least this way it's guaranteed not to come back to cause another issue.

10. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Maybe it could be instituted for users with a certain post count, to insure they were responsible enough to handle such a privilege? There aren't a whole lot of mac rumors 601's running around here....

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

like I mentioned, its not about post count.

The last time a thread was deleted, it was a Demi-God with well over 1000 posts. If you can't rely on someone who is going to support the site, who can you count on?

It caused issues, so the privilege was taken away.

D

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

did you read my post? And when ever you set a 'goal' for a certain post count there are issues - spamming and such.

If this is seriously causing you concern, it might be best to discuss this directly with arn through email or PM.

D

13. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

This may be a stupid questions, but... can't you just delete the remarks you made that you wish you hadn't? That way, the thread is preserved, but your comments are removed? We all have the ability to edit our own posts.

Alia

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

It's reasons, such as this, that the Wasteland was created...to rid of useless posts by someone who has the authority to do so.

It's also reason, such as above, that people need gun permits. ;)

15. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

why didnt ya just call this the lets all piss on tazo thread :rolleyes:

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

No one's coming down on u...just using your situation as an example as opposition to the argument. ;)

17. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Please....I was referenced atleast twice indirectly in the aforementioned posts...

"...had over 200 posts in that thread and was deleted....a demi-god with over 1000 posts..."

besides I am one of the more recent how shall we say, class examples :eek:

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I wasn't pointing fingers or naming names. If you hadn't said anything, most people wouldn't have known who I was talking about and most people wouldn't have cared. :rolleyes:

D

19. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Now, now gents, calm down :eek: :rolleyes:

I'm not bothered about being able to delete threads I create, but I would like to be able to delete posts in threads (my own of course).

20. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Well I do care...so that is atleast one person :eek:

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It would have been better not to have mentioned your accident tazo. I wasn't aware of who Mr. Anderson was speaking.

I agree that it is wrong for members to have the ability to delete a thread. The reason is that it hurts other fellow members. It would be nice to have the ability to delete your personal post if an error has been made. I think that the mods have a tough job and do it well. So is the preferred method to PM a mod if a mistake is made?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.