Just Order My Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Tuned MP5T, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Tuned MP5T macrumors regular

I went to the Apple store in SoHo and was quoted at 2400 for a Mac Mini (80GHz, BT & AP, Superdrive, 20 inch Cinema Display, .Mac and Apple care). But I didn't feel like I needed the Superdrive or AP. I then order the Mac Mini (80Ghz, BT, Combo Drive, 20 inch Cinema Display, .Mac and Apple care) on line for 2000. My question is did AP and the Superdrive make that much of a difference or is that online cheaper then the retail store?

2. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

First of all, congrats. Secondly, no, online is not cheaper than the retail stores. I'm not sure what that entire difference was, but AP is $50 more than just BT and Superdrive is $100. Perhaps the person at the store also included a keyboard and mouse and did some simple rounding? But to repeat, Apple has very aggressive price protection so that you won't find much variation in price from vendor to vendor and certainly not from Apple retail to Apple online.

3. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

NICE...

Congrats!

Are you gonna try to add the RAM yourself?

4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Bluetooth and Airport makes sense for the Mac Mini since it has one USB port and if you don't want to deal with a hub and keeps your wires to a min. The printer can be printed from a Airport Express station. I hear that 256 MB is not very much for most people in the speed department. Taking the case off is difficult because it is on really tight. It would be easy to warp or crack the case. At least the memory is easy to get to once the case is open.

Even though I have upgraded memory on many PCs and Macs in the past, I probably wouldn't want to damage the case of the Mini. I remember how difficult it was with opening up a Tivo so that I can hack it.

You probably can tape or attach the Mini to the back of the 20 inch monitor. Connect the single USB and firewire ports on the Mini to the 20 inch display and use the display as your hub.

5. Tuned MP5T thread starter macrumors regular