just ordered 12" powerbook - now waiting!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nina, May 31, 2004.

1. nina macrumors member

Hello, all!

Well, I finally did it - I took the plunge and put in an order for my first Mac - a brand new, 12" Powerbook!!!

I'm guessing it'll probably come in time for next weekend - the wait begins, eh?

Just had a few questions for you lovely lads:

-I'm planning on booting it up to check that it works, then formatting the drive and reinstalling the OS, installing only the components I need. Is this necessary? Or are the factory installations good? I noticed there are only a few trials (which I'd get rid of right away). I'm not familar with the Powerbook software package - up until recently, I was intending to get an iBook G4.
    -I'm a student, and I'm going to be lugging the Powerbook around with me quite a bit. I was thinking of purchasing a sleeve for it and sliding it into my backpack - is this a problem with a few heavy textbooks in there too? I don't want the book to get smooshed!

Anyways, thanks a ton for all your help. You guys are great! Any first-time tips would be greatly appreciated as well!

2. Godfather macrumors member

I bought the 15" a while ago and I also bought the SecondSkin (dutch link, but ull understand the picture) and the radtech screensavr.The screensavr fixes the greasy hands/keypressing and the secondskin fixes the rainy days and offcourse the books pressing against ur PB.
    my 2 cents.

3. xfauxsn macrumors newbie

xfauxsn

I can't really help you much with the software thing.. my best bet is just to leave everything as-is.. so what if you don't use some software, it's there for when you need it. What specific things were you thinking of deleting anyways? I don't know if there is much difference between the Powerbook package and the iBook, which is what I'm getting.

As for the sleeve/backpack matter, I'm getting a messenger bag from Timbuk2 that has the sleeve built right into it.. The commuter bag if you're interested. Rubberized bottom and all that good stuff..

Congrats on your Apple purchase ;) Don't let the wait get you down.. I've been waiting since last Thursday morning..

4. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

The only reason that you might want to reformat and install your software is if you don't want classic installed on your computer. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother. Your factory install should be free of problems.

5. nina thread starter macrumors member

Oh, cool!

I thought I read a while ago that factory installs were sometimes a little buggy. That's why I thought doing a reinstall right away before I got into heavy use would be a good idea.

I guess this is good to know - that means I can get to using my new Mac faster!