just ordered 20" iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 2Shae, Jan 17, 2007.

1. 2Shae macrumors 6502

I just ordered my 20" iMac but I'm very afraid of an update after the 3 weeks-return/switch policy ends. Mainly about the graphic card

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

If you bought it now I'm assuming it meets your needs.

I know it can be annoying when something better comes out shortly after buying something, but that's life - assuming you bought what you need, something a wise shopper should always do, then you've got nothing to worry about.

3. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

If you're that worried about what the future might bring, why even buy a new computer ever? I'm sure you're fine. Plus, you can only exchange it for free within two weeks if it's been unopened. Otherwise you'll have to pay a 10% restocking fee.

Just enjoy what you've got, it's a great machine.

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Sad to break it to you, but they WILL update the iMac line sometime in the future.

5. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

I do actually think it has everything I do on a pc (btw this is my first mac)
    Because this is what I do on it:
    • basic stuff such as chatting, internet, office, downloading, listening to music and watching movies and tv-shows
    • making my own dvd's (menus and encoding .avi files to dvd format)
    • I'm going to start making some websites
    • a little bit of photoshop...not much at all
    • NOT A PC GAMER !!! I got a xbox 360 for that

This is what I ordered:
    20" iMac
    2GB Ram
    X1600 256mb graphic card
    250GB HD

It's probably a good enough mac for atleast 3-4 years (I hope)
    But it's really gonna suck if they update in about 2 months but I'm not going wait any longer since I've been waiting since September already :rolleyes:

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

If you aren't a gamer, I would not worry at all. The X1600 is good card, and should more than meet your needs for years.

(Mini Rant) Apple SHOULD allow the GeForce 7600GT to be configured as an option on the 20" iMac. There is a big difference between the performance of the X1600 and 7600GT with high-res gaming. I'm a video card snob (I'll be the first to admit it), and if I was going with an iMac the only one I'd consider would be the 24" with the 7600GT.

But like I said, the 7600GT only makes sense for high-res gaming, so if you don't game or only do so casually, the 20" iMac with the 256MB card is a great value for money and has more than adequate power for everything you'll ever do.

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Don't fret about any possible updates, just enjoy your nice new 20" iMac 2Shae. :)

8. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

no way to shoehorn in a 7600 is there?

I am in the same boat of wanting an iMac, not wanting a 24" (size and cost) but wanting a 7600 for gaming purposes.

while im no super gamer, I like computer games.

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sadly no, unlike the 24" iMac, the GPU in the 20" iMac is not upgradeable (it is permantently affixed to the logic board). :eek:

10. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I ordered the exact same iMac yesterday, I think we both made wise desicions.

I had hoped for at least iLife 07 at Macworld, but I am not going to sit around and wait forwho knows how long to same a few bucks. Same with Leopard why wait it will be out and then its only a few bucks as well.

Only way I would be upset is if there is a radical design change. Speed bumps I can live with.

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Which I find to be unlikely. I think that the iMac will probably keep the same design for a couple more revisions (perhaps slight changes, but I doubt anything as radical as the change from the iMac G4 to the iMac G5). :)

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

My hope is that the next revision chnages that, but I'm not holding my breath.

13. 2Shae thread starter macrumors 6502

I was also hoping for iLife 07 and I so sure that it would show up, but now that its not here I don't really care about it.

14. steveski macrumors newbie

I just bought the same imac a few days ago with exactly the same specs that you ordered, only I want to play some games on it aswel.

Is the 256 graphics card in the 20" imac sufficient for the likes of Half Life2 etc...?

15. AlconR macrumors newbie

probably.. if you want to play your games at max resolution and have 60fps.. thats one thing..

if you want to play games.. I am sure it will do that.

I have been using a gforce 6600GT for a few years and that handles HL2, DOOM 3, ect..

just depends on what resolution and what frame rates are acceptable to you

16. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I hope that becomes the case as well, but who knows... :eek: