Just ordered a 12" powerbook :-0

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by lazyboy922, May 3, 2006.

1. lazyboy922 macrumors 6502

Dec 9, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    I have been waiting and waiting for the macbook to come out...

But then I relized, I use all pro apps, and they won't even really be available as universal at first anyway. I also know that revisions A's are still working out the kinks. It would be cool to be able to use windows, but ummmm, I never use it, so that really isn't an issue.

I need something portable, so I just ordered the 12" 1.5 ghz from the refurb store.

Ick, hope I didn't make a mistake lol
  2. student_trap macrumors 68000

Mar 14, 2005
    'Ol Smokey, UK
    congrats, im not sure how you will feel knowing that i bought the exact same machine a year ago, but either way its a great piece of kit. it really is super in every way
  3. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Oct 29, 2004
    congrats dude!

First off you have bought a fantastic machine!

It'll last you at least 3 years and you will be the envy of all your friends - the PPC macs are here for a long time to come - hope the wait won't be too bad!!

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Good. It's a good machine. When I was having problems with my iBook I was seriously eyeing the 12" PBs on eBay. The newest ones though - 1.5GHz and the 8x SuperDrive.

I reckon in the absence of an Intel iBook/little PowerBook replacement the current 12" PB is a good machine. You get:

Full screen spanning via DVI
    Tiny, tiny enclosure
    Pretty strong performance
    Audio in

I think pure bang for you bucks winner would be the 14" iBook but I hate the look of the 14" iBook and the 12" PowerBook looks dead sexy. Some bloke pulled one out of his bag at the AppleCentre the other day and I was amazed at just how tiny they are in real life - makes my 12" iBook look chunky and it's not all that much bigger. The decreased thickness and the aluminium really make it look cool.
  5. lazyboy922 thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 9, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yeah, I am sorta disapointed knowing I am paying close to full price for a machine that is a year old, but I think it will suit my needs nicely. Makes me feel better that you guys are in support of me getting one! I really had my heart set on the new macbook when it comes out, but just the more I think of it, Revision A usually not good, and I want to run CS2 Natively. Maybe after a year or more I can always upgrade!
  6. mrspur macrumors newbie

Apr 14, 2006
    Yes, considering your current needs, you made an excellent choice.

I was pushing my timeframe as far as I could and bought a brand new 12" PB just 3 weeks ago. Haven't looked back in regret whatsoever.

I think you'll find yourself quite satisfied with your purchase. The new MacBook will probably bedazzle whenever it finally arrives, but I'm afraid that might be overshadowed by it's newborn growing pains.

Smart choice. You can always re-evaluate once kinks have been worked out...
  7. ozone macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    I bought a 17" PB about 6 weeks ago, and of course, the new 17" MBP comes out last month, when it was expected to be released maybe late in the summer or fall. Before that, I was considering getting a 12" PB, just like you.

I'd love to say that you'll regret your purchase... but I can't! The PBs are pretty sweet, plenty fast enough unless you're into really high end computing.

You'll love your PB. There are advantages to a well proven, stable design.
  8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    I just bought a refurb 15" 1.33GHz PowerBook. I traded in a dead 12" PB a friend gave me and it brought the price down under $1000. I needed a laptop this week and couldn't quite swing for a MacBook.

If history is any guide, there will be a good availability of PPC applications for another 4 years at least, so buying a PPC Mac is not neccessarily a bad idea.
  9. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

May 2, 2005
    Wheaton/Normal, IL
    If it makes you feel even better, Adobe's not going to make any revisions to CS2 to make it Universal. The next Suite will be Universal, but nothing until then.