Just ordered a macbook

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Rovman, May 27, 2006.

1. Rovman macrumors regular

May 4, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Never used Mac OS before but finally convinced myself to give it a go. Not going to call myself a switcher since i do like my gaming and i've spent a lot of money on this PC.

I'm not a windows hater or mac lover, infact i've never had any problems with windows XP. I've heard MacOS needs no maintaining? Windows isn't as bad as people say if you know how to maintain it (and i do) but it will be great not to have to maintain the macbook.

Anyway enough of my babbling, just thought i'd say hi to the new community i've gotten myself into, no doubt i'll be back here with stupid noobish questions in the future :p

Only problem is now the delivery estimate is 2nd June... feels like it'll never get here, meh.
  2. Copland macrumors regular

May 26, 2006
    Rochester, NY

I think you'll find Mac OS X very enjoyable, and as you said, OS X needs little in the way of maintenance.

Feel free to ask any questions!:)

Too bad about the shipping date, though...
  3. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Apr 16, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Lucky! :)

Well, not really. Im ordering my MBP later today or tomorrow :D
  4. amacgenius macrumors 68000

Aug 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Congrats, I love my MacBook - you'll enjoy it!
  5. netdog macrumors 603

Feb 6, 2006
    Be sure to fill it up with 3rd party RAM in two equal simms - preferably 2x1GB simms.
  6. Rovman thread starter macrumors regular

May 4, 2006
    United Kingdom
    I plan to in the future, however i did only buy the cheapest option £749.

I don't need dvd-writing capability (heh had a dvd writer in my PC for months and still not used it) and the extra £150 for 170mhz doesn't seem worthwhile for me (wont be watching HD video).

I'll definately upgrade the RAM when i can afford it, and probably get a new HDD at some pioint too.
  7. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2006

I'm in a similar boat, I got my MBP in April, first mac, but I like PC games and since I always maintained my XP machine I have nothing against the OS.

The intuitive-ness of OS X is really awesome compared to XP, as is the look and feel. I've found that I never use XP excpet for the occasional bout of HL2 gaming.

Hope you like it!
  8. Rovman thread starter macrumors regular

May 4, 2006
    United Kingdom
    I do love the look of the Mac OS X Aqua theme, been using this Tiger visual style for windows XP for a long time.

I do like to keep things clean.

Are there any good Ebooks i can download/buy to teach me all i need to know about Mac OS X? like maybe "Mac OS X: The missing manual" in ebook form?
  9. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Congrats on the purchase of your new MacBook- you are in for a treat. Mac OS is so easy and wonderful to use. I switched last year around this time and have yet to look back. :D

Welcome to the club! :)
  10. SamIchi macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
    Congrats, you'll love Apple after this. I'm lookin into buyin a MacBook also.