Just ordered a new iBook G4!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jrv3034, Oct 27, 2003.

1. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Hello all! Just wanted to share with you all the wonderful news. I just ordered a new iBook G4 12" from MacMall for my fiancee as a birthday/Christmas/engagement/for-the-next-3-years present. I'm a little bummed that it's on a 7 to 10 day backorder right now, but she'll live (especially since she has no idea she's getting it!).

I got what I think is a great deal:

iBook 800 Mhz G4 12" screen - $1099
    512 MB RAM upgrade - $39.99 installation fee
    Epson Stylus CX3200 All-in-one printer - $FREE (after rebates)
    Targus carrying case - $FREE (after rebates)
    Shipping - $17 (after $30 rebate)
    Tax - $0

This will be the first Mac I've ever bought (even though it's not for me), and also my fiancee's first Mac, so I guess I've gotten one person to do the switch! I'll let you know what it's like as soon as we get it!

2. grrr223 macrumors regular

Congratulations!!! I'm jealous :).

I think I'm going to buy from MacMall too when I purchase my new 15" Powerbook (if I ever get the money). They're amazing, their prices are the same as the Apple store BUT they include an extra 512 MB RAM, a free printer, and discounts on all sorts of software and accessories. It's amazing.

I just ordered my aunt's E-mac for her from them, it was shipped incredibly fast, Macmall is great.

3. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

4. jrv3034 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't know if they have educational pricing, but the $30 shipping rebate and no tax were (according to my calculations) a better deal than the $100 off for edu pricing at the Apple store, which does charge tax, though they do have free shipping...

5. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

Hmm. Might be worth it... though tax should only be around $60ish?

6. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I just bought a 12 inch PB (i love the portability... it feels like i have my lombard again.. didn't like the bulkiness of the 15 ti I had) but I was ALMOST swayed by the iBook g4... i saw on at compusa, and it's very nice. The construction looks tougher than the old ibooks, (feels almost like impact resistant rubber-y stuff from the lombard) and the screen is just KILLER.

But no monitor spanning or ADC support pushed me to the aibook. But stil.. for 1099... .great deal. You'll love! :D

7. cubist macrumors 68020

MacMall is a good place. They fill the order and ship it quickly, and their post-sales is good too.

I've got to go see these machines, based on what Moxiemike said. I got an old TiBook to replace my old iBook, and it feels so delicate I'm afraid to take it anywhere.

8. Ensoniq macrumors regular

Re: Just ordered a new iBook G4!!!

Congrats on the new iBook. But if you don't ALSO want to be looking for a new fiance, I suggest you rethink your plan.

There is NO way you can get away with not getting your fiance a birthday/Christmas present for the next 3 years. Regardless of how cool the iBook gift is. Trust me on this. :)

9. jrv3034 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Re: Re: Just ordered a new iBook G4!!!

Good point... Damn...

If anyone has any spare change, I accept PayPal...

The jrv3034 "save my engagement" program has officially begun!;)

10. jrv3034 thread starter macrumors 6502a

In New York City tax is 8.625%, which would be about $86.16 on a $999 computer with the edu pricing. However, MacMall also gets you the free printer, free carrying case, and $40 ram upgrade. I think it's a better deal, even if you qualify for edu pricing (at least if you live in NYC).

11. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

The RAM may be the deal-sealer... the case is nice, and I don't need a printer...

Tax rate here is only 4.5%, so it wasn't that bad.

and jrv3034: I second Ensoniq's comment that you wouldn't get away with it... :D