Just ordered a new iMac...mistake?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Larry, Jan 30, 2003.

  1. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2003
    Location:
    Sacramento
    #1
    I ordered a 17" iMac direct from Apple the evening of the 29th for my secretary. Right after I did, I thought I'd visit this site to check on rumors about future iMacs.
    Well, you know the rumors and the dates of the 3rd or 4th next week.
    My order is said to ship 5 to 7 days from the date I ordered.
    Will Apple end up shipping me one of the new ones or should I cancel and wait?
     
  2. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2002
    Location:
    USA
    #2
    Hmm...

    Considering you ordered the current (possibly soon to be "old") model, I doubt Apple would send you anything but that. Most businesses allow order cancellations if the item has not yet shipped. Don't know about Apple though...

    Good Luck.
     
  3. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2001
    #3
    I would have waited at least a week. If you can do without an iMac for an extra week, I'd say to cancel the order (if it's not too late) and wait.
     
  4. macrumors 68000

    Freg3000

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2002
    Location:
    New York
    #4
    Ok, this is what you absolutely should do.

    1) Go to apple.com
    2) View your order status
    3) Cancel your order

    This one is a no brainier. Waiting a mere 4 or 5 days longer to have higher clock speeds, faster system buses, DDR Ram (even if it's not being used to its fullest), Airport Extreme, Firewire 800, 4x DVD burning, etc.

    Cancel, your order and replace it Tuesday morning. You will be much happier. :)
     
  5. arn
    macrumors god

    arn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2001
    #5
    ... for a cheaper price.

    cancel that thing.

    arn
     
  6. macrumors 65816

    RBMaraman

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2002
    Location:
    Prospect, KY
    #6
    If it were me, I would cancel the order and wait to see what comes out next week. But, I'm not you.

    How fast do you need this machine? If you need it within 2 weeks, then I would advise you to keep your current order. More than likely, it's going to take 3 to 5 weeks or longer for any newly introduced machine to ship. So, if you need this iMac quickly, you'll need to keep your current order.
     
  7. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2003
    Location:
    Sacramento
    #7
    Well, I just checked the status of my order and they now say it won't ship until the 7th. I ordered the promo Office X at the same time and it has already shipped.
     
  8. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2002
    #8
    I say you should cancel it! If apple releases a new iMac on the 3rd, which is the rummor, then order that. Even if you need it right away cancel the order with apple, and most likely the price of the current iMac will drop.
    So, you will probably be able to get a new iMac for about the same price(unless they drop the price), or if you need it right away get the old(current) iMac for cheaper at macmall, maczonem or somewhere that offers free 512mb upgrade.
     
  9. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2002
    Location:
    CA
    #9
    Apple have price protection ( within 10 Days)

    U can make use of this offer from apple :

    "Should Apple reduce its price on any shipped product within 10 calendar days of shipment, you may contact Apple Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775 to request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price. To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 business days of shipment. "


    as reported on xlr8yourmac
     
  10. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2003
    Location:
    Minneapolis, MN
    #10
    Re: Apple have price protection ( within 10 Days)

    I agree with jaykk unless of course you want the newer machine and the price is not the issue.

     
  11. macrumors 68000

    Freg3000

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2002
    Location:
    New York
    #11
    Re: Apple have price protection ( within 10 Days)

    You would get the difference in prices back, but you'd still be paying for older technology; the same technology that was in the iMacs over a year ago.
     
  12. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2003
    Location:
    Western Hemisphere
    #12
    price changes...

    BEWARE: Apple's 10 day price guarantee sounds good but think for a second...

    If they revise the iMacs, no model will be the same as a model bought before the revision. They'll all have SOMETHING new in them. This disqualifies them from the guarantee since Apple didn't lower the price on the same machine.

    I suspect that this is why the low-end PM is a SINGLE 1Ghz. If it were a dual, folks could get refunds - no? (OK, well I just looked, and still wouldn't qualify b/c of FW800 and BT ready)

    IF you can wait, cancel. Then again, iMac revisions may never happen. :rolleyes:

    That price guarantee isn't worth the energy it takes to burn those pixels into your screen.
     
  13. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 19, 2002
    #13
    Re: price changes...

    But if Apple were to weasel out on it like that, a judge would probably not allow them to. Contracts aren't only about the exacty words contained in them, but also about the "spirit" of the deal.

    But I agree with the rest here. If you don't need the iMac for the next week or so, I'd cancel the order and see what happens.
     
  14. macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2002
    Location:
    Yahooville S.C.
    #14
    Apple does sometimes ship the newer product for the older one you may have ordered but if they still got one of those somewhere thats what you get! Follow the posts and do what they say and be patient!Call them up and demand the new imac thats about to come out and then get all the specs for it and then email Arn so he can tell us all about it!YES THIS WAS A MISTAKE!
     
  15. macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2003
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #15
    Cancel and reorder the same thing. Here's why: If you reorder on Feb. 2, there's no way it will ship until after the new ones are released on Feb. 4. If you don't think the improvements are worth it, you can cancel on Feb. 4 before it ships. You can also look around for better deals on the then-older models. If it looks like a good deal still, then just let your order go through as you placed it. But the key is to cancel the first order now, so it won't ship too soon.

    The reason I say this is because I was thinking of getting a Dual 867, but decided to wait for the new version. I figured at a minimum they would add FW800 and bluetooth, and maybe increase the speed. Well, they did, but the dropped the dual processor. The single 1ghz pm is not as immediately attractive, especially since a new iMac is likely to have the same stuff, except for expandability. While the Dual 867 is still available, there's no build-to-order option elsewhere, and I had planned on getting it with a superdrive. Oh well.
     
  16. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2003
    Location:
    Sacramento
    #16
    I'm the O.P.
    Thanks everyone. I cancelled my order and will reorder hopefully the 4th.
    I had seen on several occasions Apple upgrading customers orders that were placed just prior to release of updates, but that would depend on whether they had depleted their stock of the former models.
    My problem was compounded in that it was a BTO
    and that I had already received my $199 promo Office X sw. Fortunately, I live ~10 miles from the Apple facility in Elk Grove, CA and I was able to return the sw via local delivery service.
    Larry
     
  17. macrumors 604

    scem0

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    Location:
    back in NYC!
    #17
    Even though by saying 'cencel it' I am kind of hurting apple, I can't
    allow you to spend so much money on a computer that is about
    to be updated. Cancel the order. This is why apple hates rumor
    sites...
     
  18. macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2002
    Location:
    Yahooville S.C.
    #18
    I guess we were all in agreement on that one! Also scemo is that avatar an actual photo of yourself? Just wondering
     
  19. arn
    macrumors god

    arn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2001
    #19
    So Larry,

    Did you make the right decision?

    arn
     
  20. macrumors 604

    MrMacMan

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2001
    Location:
    1 Block away from NYC.
    #20
    Tell me what does he lose, not price or new features, speed upgrades...

    I think everything is pos. when you cancled, time to reorder. :D
     

Share This Page