just ordered a PB!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by fobishduck, Apr 20, 2005.

1. fobishduck macrumors newbie

Hi, folks,

I just ordered a refurbished 12" PB (1.33G/256M/60G/Combo/APE/...) from Apple. Set me back about $1100, but I think this is not a bad deal.

Anyway, I was wondering if I would be qualified for a free Tiger upgrade with this being a refurbished unit. If not, no biggie... I'll live with Panther for few months while residual bugs are being worked out.

By the way, this is my first Apple since my Apple IIc back in 1985. Two decades... cool, isn't it?

Well, I wanted to share my enthusiasm... I'll post my review shortly since some folks might be wondering about what kinda condition refurb units come in.

Regards,

2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Congrats on coming back to the fold! :)

I'm pretty sure you get both Tiger and iLife 05' even though it's a refurb.

3. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I think you got a pretty good deal on that bad boy. I'm not sure if it comes with the new OS. It might, but i'm not sure. I'm sure someone else knows 100% sure.

4. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Cos it's a refurb I'm not sure on the old OS front, but if apple were good guys you should (they say the refurbs are "like new" and even offer the same warranty). Pretty sure iLife 05 will be on there, it's been 4 months and I dont think the refurb units stay in the shop for long!

Welcome to Mac (soon) give it a year and use these forums for any help you may need and you'll be a devotee!

5. MagnaPalam macrumors newbie

MagnaPalam

Not to steal your thunder at all, but I am currently waiting on the FedEx man for my new PB. My purchase brings me back into the fold of apple as well, and I am so looking forward to tiger.

On the other thing...tiger. I called apple a couple days ago, even though I havent yet recieved my PB yet, and they told me that when I recieve it, it will have a proof of purchase something or another, and that to get tiger for free(plus shipping) I just have to goto www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade and there should be instructions there. Once I recieve my PB tonight, and order it, I will post again.

BTW Congrats! I know you have to be as stoked as I am.

6. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I got my PowerBook on the 8th. Went on the up-to-date website and entered all the info and they have processed the order so I get tiger for £12? Ah well!

7. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Welcome back and congratulations on your purchase.

8. MagnaPalam macrumors newbie

MagnaPalam

well my situation sux

FedEx delivered my beautiful new 15"PB somewhere, but not here! Address is right and everything, and it was signed for by a D.James. No idea who that is, and me and two other people were here when it says it was delivered. Apple has sent out a tracer, and I may have to wait over a week for a replacement!

*sobs*

9. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Omg that sux so badly

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow, I'm so sorry. You don't live in an apartment or condo that has a front office, do you? Maybe it went there?

11. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

12. MagnaPalam macrumors newbie

MagnaPalam

Well, I live in a house, and you think that would be pretty easy. LOL, I guess not for professional delivery people. And, just to mention, I do live in a rather large suburban area of Houston, TX...and my street name is not repeated in my city.

13. fobishduck thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!

Thanks for all the support! I'm sure I'll be asking around many questions since I've not used a Mac since when I was in school... back in the late 90's... Back then, I was more of a Unix/Linux guy. Work forced me to be in the PC world (some applications were written only for Unix/PC), but I decided it's time for me to get a Mac even if it means I don't do any work on it (hmm... that's actually not bad....).

Again, thanks!!!

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I know it's a common name, but maybe it's worth it to check the phone book and see if there's a D. James on your street?

15. fobishduck thread starter macrumors newbie

FedEx has been extremely reliable for me (and even for you up until now?...), and I feel for you because every extra day is just that much more difficult to endure... Good luck to you.

16. MagnaPalam macrumors newbie

MagnaPalam

:D Thought of that one too! :D In my town there are three James' that have a first name that starts with D. Two of them have addy's listed, and they are dissimilar addy's all together. I called the one that didn't have an addy listed, and the number's disconnected. Did a reverse lookup of that number and it had belonged to someone else before along time ago, but I saw the avenue, even though it turned out to be a dead end. Last but not least is looking at all James' in my city regardless of first name(D. could be a relative of the phone holder) to see if they were on my street or even in my neighborhood. No dice. So, I will have to rely on Apple/FedEx to figure this one out. The wait is excruciating!